• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x - What temperature reading to use?

Associate
I have a 5800x newly installed in an MSI Tomahawk x570 motherboard, with an Alpenfohn AIO.

I'm using HWInfo, CPUID HWMonitor and the MSI Dragon Center.

There are so many temperatures available, I'm not sure which one I should be using; any suggestions?

On this forum, people are reporting idle temps of anywhere from 28 - 65C!

My idle according to dragon center and the "Tctl/Tdie" from HWinfo is approx 38. I've put less voltage into the CPU as well.

That feels high? Not sure if I seated the AIO properly, it's my first time using one.

Soldato
If it helps - I'm sitting idle, web browser open and Spotify playing on my 5800x. Heating on in the room and idle is 32-34ºC on a Dark Rock TF cooler. CPU fans (x2) ~500RPM. Stock voltages / speeds.

Soldato
OK thanks; I think the TCL/Tdie one is the one I'll use; seems to be close to what other tools pull out as the temp too.
I asked myself the same question, hoping that it was the lower reported temp next to the motherboard temp but alas it was not to be looking at other monitoring software as you have done. Mine sits around 47 during normal use (browsing, low usage applications) with my Wraith Prism cooler.

Soldato
Get your idle temp from the BIOS. Then in the future if you`re idle temps are higher, you can rule out software straight away and look at the hardware. So much quicker to diagnose future temp issues.

Otherwise higher temps could be caused by a later windows build, updated AV software, updated steam/epic/gog software running in the background, updated drivers, etc. People have different definitions of the term `idle` and any number of crap could be running in the system tray.

Soldato
I have a 5800x newly installed in an MSI Tomahawk x570 motherboard, with an Alpenfohn AIO.

I'm using HWInfo, CPUID HWMonitor and the MSI Dragon Center.

There are so many temperatures available, I'm not sure which one I should be using; any suggestions?

On this forum, people are reporting idle temps of anywhere from 28 - 65C!

My idle according to dragon center and the "Tctl/Tdie" from HWinfo is approx 38. I've put less voltage into the CPU as well.

That feels high? Not sure if I seated the AIO properly, it's my first time using one.

How about using Ryzen Master.

I would tend to trust the AMD provided app to monitor the health of my Ryzen based rig, more so than the "generic" apps. :)

Associate
OP
Get your idle temp from the BIOS. Then in the future if you`re idle temps are higher, you can rule out software straight away and look at the hardware. So much quicker to diagnose future temp issues.

Otherwise higher temps could be caused by a later windows build, updated AV software, updated steam/epic/gog software running in the background, updated drivers, etc. People have different definitions of the term `idle` and any number of crap could be running in the system tray.

BIOS seems way off; low 30s vs high 30s. I do have a lot of crap in my system tray though!

How about using Ryzen Master.

I would tend to trust the AMD provided app to monitor the health of my Ryzen based rig, more so than the "generic" apps. :)

I only downloaded that yesterday, not come across it before. That reads about 4-5 degrees cooler than the tcl/tdie number.

I guess it's more a case of using a reading and sticking to it so that changes can be compared. I think I was surprised by how hot these run so wanted to make sure I was within manufacturers temp ranges.

Associate
Agree with @VortexA1: use Ryzen master. AMD made it and it's the definitive measure of core temps for Zen 3.

One feature of upcoming BIOSes should be to allow other temp tools to access accurate core temps, but for now Ryzen Master is the most accurate way.

Associate
OP
Agree with @VortexA1: use Ryzen master. AMD made it and it's the definitive measure of core temps for Zen 3.

One feature of upcoming BIOSes should be to allow other temp tools to access accurate core temps, but for now Ryzen Master is the most accurate way.

I've checked and interestingly, although the idle temps are different by approx 5+ degrees between Ryzen Master and the tcl/die, when I stress test the system the temperatures align quite well. Not sure what to make of it, but will probably just ignore it and pick one as a reference

Associate
I've checked and interestingly, although the idle temps are different by approx 5+ degrees between Ryzen Master and the tcl/die, when I stress test the system the temperatures align quite well. Not sure what to make of it, but will probably just ignore it and pick one as a reference
Same here; AMD say it's Ryzen master that's accurate. But hey load temps are the important ones either way.

Associate
Multiple apps taking readings can conflict. Also some apps, when trying to take readings can make the CPU boost, or don't take the readings fast enough, giving false readings. O Use HWinfo and I'm happy with it's readings.
Just as an example, HWinfo will show your maximum boost, the same as 3D Mark would, but Ryzen Master won't match the two former softwares.
I use Ryzen Master mainly to check if the cores are able to sleep, when changing few settings on BIOS, just to make sure the CPU isn't boosting when it isn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom