• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800x won't boost past 4200mhz

Caporegime
So it turns out after the bios update it turned on "Asus Optimal Power" or whatever the thing that isn't "Asus Normal" basically their version of an auto overclock and it was overclocking my ****. to 4.2 (gee thanks) I've fiddled around now and got that sorted out. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Asus boards are notorious (-ly crap) for so-called "auto overclocking" and part of the reason I'll never buy another Asus board again.

There have been articles that show, even with settings set to "normal" or "overclocking off", Asus boards will increase power and try to run things above stock, in order to gain advantages in benchmarks.

I personally prefer boards where stock settings are stock settings. Asus in general are trash (imho).

Soldato
It was the bios settings. The Asus "optimal setting" was a POS and normal was much better. I stated that a few posts back.
this is pretty common place from all the post about "I can't post with 5900x 5900x 5600 etc" or "having stability issues and crashing out of games" etc

people go into BIOS and load up some kind of auto overclock on the Easymode menu. then expect the motherboard to do the right thing.

The above maybe ok for intel as intel boards tend to only have single generational CPU support and also the CPUs are essentially the same architecture underneath.

But with AMD AM4 boards, there are so many generation supports. on B550 boards, the CPU support is two generations (not refresh) with very different architectures. So natually I would be very very cautious with "Auto OC".

if people is so reliant on auto OC, it really doesnt bode well. i think board manufacture should really remove that option completely. either Default or full fat OC menu for those willing. there is just no half way house really...it will give much better user experiences tbh

Associate
Hi guys, I have the same CPU 5800x MB ROG STRIX B550-F WiFi and I never go more than 4200Mhz. Didn't touch any settings. just all default. When I play (WARZONE) settings normal , raytracing disabled, I never do more than 79 / 80 FPS. I have a 2070 GIgabyte and 64GB of RAM. Resolution 3440x1440
In MSI Afterburner dashboard I only see 1 core in use

Soldato
reset bios to default
install latest chipset drivers
open windows power management settings and reset to default balanced mode
install and open hwinfo
open cinebench r20 and run single core test

whats the highest clock speed reported in hwinfo? If its still just 4.2ghz, RMA the cpu

Associate
Hi guys, I have the same CPU 5800x MB ROG STRIX B550-F WiFi and I never go more than 4200Mhz. Didn't touch any settings. just all default. When I play (WARZONE) settings normal , raytracing disabled, I never do more than 79 / 80 FPS. I have a 2070 GIgabyte and 64GB of RAM. Resolution 3440x1440
In MSI Afterburner dashboard I only see 1 core in use

Sounds like the same issue as the op with the board auto overclocking the chip all core.

That CPU should be hitting 4.85 single core out the box on single core. At least all ones I know of do, but that's with asrock and MSI boards and no auto OC.

Soldato
I have the ROG STRIX B550-F WiFi board and have had no such problems at stock or overclocked. Currently boosting up 5050 Mhz with +200 boost added. There are a number of versions of Ryzen Master and it doesn't seem to be great at prompting you to update. The most recent version recommends that you already had a previous version installed so that could be the cause of mis-reporting. Use HWinfo to confirm what your clocks are actually boosting to.

Back
Top Bottom