• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850CF temptation..

Associate
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked already due to the latest deals on the above card.

However, I'm just about to buy a whole new rig and thought I'd decided on the unlockable 6950.

Now I'm not sure, due to the fact that according to the below bench, 2 x 5850s outperforms a single 580 worth roughly £200 more!? (obviously the list of games benched isnt long)

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/303?vs=305

Is there something I'm missing ?

Thanks a lot...

Associate
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked already due to the latest deals on the above card.

However, I'm just about to buy a whole new rig and thought I'd decided on the unlockable 6950.

Now I'm not sure, due to the fact that according to the below bench, 2 x 5850s outperforms a single 580 worth roughly £200 more!? (obviously the list of games benched isnt long)

Thanks a lot...
+1

Associate
From what ive read on Crossfire in general is it can be "patchy" some get a huge boost in FPS on "x" game but lose FPS in game "y". dispite this im going ahead on crossfire this month and cant wait.

1 5850 can run 99.9% of the games with all the eyecandy to the max on a 1080p moniter which im doing atm, but the extra 5850 in my situation is for the future games like BF3 and Elderscrolls or maybe even eyefinity.

Drivers and installation can be hit and miss, But if you know anythink about computers you should be fine.

Also the benchmark site isnt really solid proof so dont take it like the bible, a single card solution will always be less hassle on the user.

Another problem is heat and power consumption but if your comparing it to a 580 it shouldn't be a problem for you.

As for the 5850 your choosing i'd check the forum thread, some very unhappy people with the HD5850 Extreme.

Hope my wall of text helped lol

Soldato

Thanks a lot...

nah 5850 xfire is great but get yourself a single 6950 for now and add another next year when they are dirt cheap! :D

Back
Top Bottom