• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 ati audio dts-hd

Associate
has anyone got this card work on this forum with powerdvd9 for dts-hd audio and true hd audio,i brought the card 3 days ago from oc for this reason,done a search on net and got no where with it im using power dvd9 with lastest patch from cyberlink, the best audio with me new 5870 in windows 7 64 i can get is just dts has anyone got theres to work yet? is it just a driver issue im using latest beta driver can anyone please help so i can go bed been up 3 days lol trying sort it out lol.;)

Associate
OP
We've seen pictures of reviewers bitstreaming on a 5xxx card, so, we know that'll work when they release the patch. (It's still PDVD9 with all its limitations. Is it getting better? Maybe. But it doesn't do HD DVD so it's missing functionality IMO) But it won't ever support the 4xxx cards unless they wise up and remove the PAP requirement. How likely do you think that is? a friend fount this on net some where i its down to power dvd 9 at moment do not surport it right.

Associate
i know all about it. Those sound cards are half the price. even a 5850 would have saved himself 100 quid lol.

Actually I just re-read the OP, & it does seem like he bought the card just for the audio. Hopefully what he means is, it was an added bonus to the great GPU capabilities it offers...

Associate
OP
i have not just brought the 5870 for audio i needed updated my gfx card anyway but buy the card has saved me about 200 quid on a good 1.3 hdmi sound card anyway i think the new patch is out 20th oct i read from somewhere to make it work but the only thing i have noticed is that that hdmi sound driver is 5.0.60000.53 with vista 64 bit and the same beta driver is 5.0.7000.7 with windows 7, im using the newest beta driver 9.10 i think,any way acording to reveiws on card they are using 5.0.7000.8 where they getting this driver from and they dont tell ya what os they are using here is a link to a review where it tells you driver number
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1080/16/

Associate
i have not just brought the 5870 for audio i needed updated my gfx card anyway but buy the card has saved me about 200 quid on a good 1.3 hdmi sound card anyway i think the new patch is out 20th oct i read from somewhere to make it work but the only thing i have noticed is that that hdmi sound driver is 5.0.60000.53 with vista 64 bit and the same beta driver is 5.0.7000.7 with windows 7, im using the newest beta driver 9.10 i think,any way acording to reveiws on card they are using 5.0.7000.8 where they getting this driver from and they dont tell ya what os they are using here is a link to a review where it tells you driver number
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1080/16/

Oxford Dictionary:

bought - past and past participle of BUY.

bRought - past and past participle of BRING.

Associate
Well if you read the whole review you probably saw this line: "Cyberlink was kind enough to let Legit Reviews take a very early version of their v9.0.2010.0 software for a test drive to take a peek at bitstreaming audio"

What that tells me is that reviewers often get newer drivers to test equipment with. They will be released soon enough to the general public but ATM they are not available.

Associate
Wanted to get 5850/70 myself for the same reason hd -bitstream audio to go into my media center PC so that I can play my racing games dirt 2 etc on my big screen...with good temps and saving £180+ on a Asus xonar hdav card...to watch my blue rays..:o ...hope they get it working soon !!

Permabanned
i know all about it. Those sound cards are half the price. even a 5850 would have saved himself 100 quid lol.

It'd make sense to buy a 5800 card for Bitstreaming DTS-HD if you were also in the market for a graphics card too, arguably, the 5800 does a lot more than any sound cards that do DTS-HD, and those soundcards are pretty overpriced at the moment.

But yeah, to buy it solely for the DTS-HD is crazy, though I doubt they actually did this.

Associate
its only a week or two away from HD 5700 series ;)
btw am sure ati will release a update driver with DTS-HD/TrueHD bitsteaming support in catalyst 9.10 unless its allready there
btw what receiver do you have?, and for other people 5770 is a way better value/hdmisoundcard* :) given the fact that xonar hdav cost around the same hehe

PowerDVD 9 Ultra build 2115 supports passthru
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html#

Last edited:
Soldato
its only a week or two away from HD 5700 series ;)
btw am sure ati will release a update driver with DTS-HD/TrueHD bitsteaming support in catalyst 9.10 unless its allready there
btw what receiver do you have?, and for other people 5770 is a way better value/hdmisoundcard* :) given the fact that xonar hdav cost around the same hehe

PowerDVD 9 Ultra build 2115 supports passthru
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdvd/patches_en_US.html#

exactly. i cant wait for the lower end 5 series cards to appear. hopefully they'll retain full bitstreaming support and bury the hdmi soundcards. ive argued from the day dot that the hdav is monsterously over priced and even now the 5850 is showing it up.

Associate
OP
glad to see other pepole are intrested in this card for audio as well and im not the only crazy one lol,if you think about it the gfx card has only cost me about £120 because i wanted a 1.3 hdmi sound card anyway for me media center pc,and its a big upgrade from a 4870 512mb
i have onkyo 607 amp,will post as soon as get it working and how to do it. when patches or drivers come out.

Associate
glad to see other pepole are intrested in this card for audio as well and im not the only crazy one lol,if you think about it the gfx card has only cost me about £120 because i wanted a 1.3 hdmi sound card anyway for me media center pc,and its a big upgrade from a 4870 512mb
i have onkyo 607 amp,will post as soon as get it working and how to do it. when patches or drivers come out.

dude am with you i also have a 4870 512MB, and am getting a 5870 1GB, its a HUGE upgrade :p like double performance

god i love AMDs naming scheme, buy a 5870 1GB now and wait a year and get a 6870 1GB that has double performance and same price :p

3870 512MB > 4870 512MB > 5870 1GB (every generation doubles the performance before it)

Radeon HD series has allways had superior htpc features compared to Geforce

have fun guys ;)

Soldato
Arcsoft have hinted that they will release a beta of TMT, that supports bitstreaming on the new 5xxx series cards, soon. They won't give a time scale though.

Top Bottom