• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 technical question

Permabanned

Firstly I have browsed the threads for ages and didn't see the answer to this question anywhere .. so apologies if it's out there and I missed it... I did search!

Right -- my setup involves a 30" monitor in the middle, and 2* 21 inch monitors either side of it. The monitors to the side are physically rotated 90 degrees into 'portrait' setup and currently those desktops rotated accordingly .. as a 21" monitor is exactly as wide as a 30" is tall.. ths system looks awesome.

Now, I've read all kinds of things about this amazing graphics card getting past non-multi-screen capability frmo games .. by (in laymans terms) doing one huge 'desktop' across 3 monitors rather than even thinking of them as seperate monitors!

So here's my question .. will it be possible to rotate the 2 side monitors displays into portrait whilst keeping the middle one 'landscape', WHILST running a game over all 3 using the '1 big desktop' system I've read about? Or do all the monitors have to be physically set up in 'landscape' mode when '1 big desktop' is turned on?

Sorry if ths question makes no sense .. I'm not that techie so just wondering if my 'some monitors landscape some portrait' system is doomed if I buy ths card?

Associate
great question, I would like to see the answers to this too

I currently use a 40" lcdtv mounted on the wall about 5ft in front of my desk, on the left side of my desk I have a 24" monitor in portrait mode. Basically tv is for games and tv/film and the monitor is for everything else (primarily web browsing)

Now I'm seeing lots of stuff about 3d and immersion features that are on the horizon and I was wondering the exact same thing, as it wouldn't be practical for me to have two monitors in landscape mode either side of the tv as they'd obscure the TV unless I got a really wide desk, and even a) they'd be too 'short' and b) the FOV they'd provide would probably be too wide...

Soldato
I'd be interested to find this out too... I'd been thinking of adding a couple of cheap 20" or 21" screens to the 30" I have now.

In principle it should be possible, as ATI have said that the only requirements are:

a) support by the game / application for wide non-standadrd resolutions
b) that the display area is a single rectangular block

That said, this configuration didn't appear on the list of example screen configurations that we've seen (see here for example).

The only problem with the portrait side-screens next to the 30", as far as gaming goes, is that you would want a 1600*1000 resolution on them. This means using a non-native resolution, which means blurryness. This might be okay for side-screens, as the quality isn't so important. But maybe using 22" 1680*1050 screens, and having a small black border, might be a better idea.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
duff-man

Firstly I'd recommend if you want to 'portrait' a monitor or two next to a landscaped 30" --- you really should go for a 21" not anythign else as it will line up perfectly which aesthetically looks just so good -- in fact my friends thought I'd bought some funky 'half-width 30" monitor' until I explained what I had done. It looks custom made to be used alongside the 30" basically rather than just a different monitor obviously in portrait. Hard to explain .. but take my word for it 21" is the way forward for this setup (if you really want I'll try and get some photos of my rig to you .. asthetically its just unbeatable!..)

For your last paragragh .. well the native resolution on my 30" is 2600 by 1600. The natice resolution on my 21" monitors is 1600*1200 (or in portrait 1200 * 1600!).

Therefore I think for my setup all monitors will be in native resolution when I get this new card wouldn't they? -- although I wouldn't be surprised if I'm being slow and have missed what you're driving at ....

Soldato
the native resolution on my 30" is 2600 by 1600. The natice resolution on my 21" monitors is 1600*1200 (or in portrait 1200 * 1600!).

Ah - a 4 : 3 screen :) I was assuming you meant a 21" widescreen, as I hadn't properly checked the widths.

No, if you're using 1600*1200 4:3 screens then there won't be any issues with interpolation :) You can run at native res and have everything match up nicely.

This is now starting to sounds like a plan, actually!

Associate
I am not completely sure so don't flame me if i am wrong but i think you would have to have all monitors set to same resolution and refresh rate to stand any chance of eyefinity working in the way you want. Thats my understanding of it from what i have read hopefully someone who has more of a clue then me will come along and give a better answer.

Associate
This was from the Inq's article...

"Eyefinity technology will appear in ATI Radeon graphics cards that support DirectX 11. It can run up to six screens in either landscape or portrait orientation as a single combined display."

In theory it will work... but I guess we won't know for sure until we see the latest Catylist drivers.

Soldato
Going by this page:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

I have a funny feeling you won't be able to span across monitors if they are not in the same orientation.

Notice that when it mixes them, it treats the portrait and landscape as different - e.g. "Extended".

:(

We'll have to wait and see for sure I guess. I'm hoping it's going to be super flexible and basically allow you to plug anything in and span on any resolution / rotation you want!

Associate
I've just found this snippet in an article on Rage3D.com

"Adjust the center display to landscape for spreadsheet use, video/picture/image manipulation. How about a large center landscape display and a pair of portrait displays at the side? Use the single large surface mode to create one big canvas, or partition it into however you want to shuffle your applications windows"

Soldato
I've just found this snippet in an article on Rage3D.com

"Adjust the center display to landscape for spreadsheet use, video/picture/image manipulation. How about a large center landscape display and a pair of portrait displays at the side? Use the single large surface mode to create one big canvas, or partition it into however you want to shuffle your applications windows"

Nice find :)

Permabanned
OP
Off everything I've read I give it 75% chance it does it.

I hope so -- because on thinking about it, it's actually a deal-breaker for me if it doesn't.

Permabanned
OP
I don't suppose anyone has tried a portrait and landscape mixture of monitors yet have they please?

Basically, anyone know an answer to the OP?

Soldato
173611.jpg

173612.jpg

83839506.jpg

eyefinpng.jpg

fullscreencapture913200.jpg

Doesn't tell you much.

Associate
Two 20/21 1600x1200's in portrait either side of a landscape 3008wfp is exactly the system I'm after. I didn't for one minute think that Eyefinity would not be able to support it. Now I'm not so sure... If anyone get's the opportunity to try this out please let us all know.

On a related note, you guys who already have this - which monitors are you using? I believe the dell 2001fp and 2007fp will match up perfectly. Which 21 inch monitors are you using? Any pics?

Top Bottom