• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x too much?

Associate
It depends, are you using your pc only for games and nothing running in the background, are you multitasking while you play games, do you have 60hz or 144hz monitor etc

Personally I think that 8 cores is going to be the norm for next gen games, 6 cores is so 2017

Soldato
Not a good idea to get a CPU with less cores than a console. 8C/16T is the bare minimum for a new gaming PC for 2021 IMO. Easily achievable on low budgets, with B550 or lesser motherboards, 3800X or better etc.

Soldato
Not a good idea to get a CPU with less cores than a console.
Will we ever put this core comparison with consoles argument to bed? The Series X uses a 3.6-3.8GHz Zen 2 with a quarter of the L2 cache that the 3.6-4.4GHz 3700X has. Given the performance comparison between the 5600X and 3700X it's safe to say the 6 core 5600X (3.7-4.6GHz) is more powerful than the 8 core consoles. Don't get hung up on cores, it's total performance that counts.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
+1 on this, I had a 5900X and like it says, one good CCD but with 2 rubbish / failed cores switched off and 1 not so good CCD with 2 cores switched off.
5600X One good CCD with the 2 worst / failed cores switched off
5800X One good CCD full stop, nothing switched off - This is what I have now and love it.

5950X is basically 2 5800X's

I thought all the good 8 core CCDs were going to the 5950x and the good 6 core CCDs in the 5900x, and the slower ones completing the 5990x and 5900x, and also going in the 5800x and 5600x?

Anyway, why bother to manually overclock any of these?

Soldato
I thought all the good 8 core CCDs were going to the 5950x and the good 6 core CCDs in the 5900x, and the slower ones completing the 5990x and 5900x, and also going in the 5800x and 5600x?

Anyway, why bother to manually overclock any of these?

They are all 8 core chiplets that are produced at TSMC.
The best go into servers CPUs Epyc, but as we are talking desktop CPUs then start there, the best out of those go into 5950x, nothing fused off, 2 good 8 core chiplets, I'd imagine the best also go into the 5800x, nothing fused off.
The 5900x gets 2 faulty not so great cores in each chiplet fused off, they then get one good 6 core chiplet and one not so great one, the same applies to the 5600x, just one 8 core chiplet with 2 faulty cores fused off, maybe not even faulty, just not meeting standards, that's binning for you.
If they decided to release a 5700x that would be an 8 core chiplet too, but probably middle of the road, they would have to find a way to justify the prices difference between that and a 5800x

Permabanned
You didnt hold out for Alderlake??

I think the launch of the Alder Lake processors with memory standard DDR5 and connection standard PCIe 5 will be an inflection point in the performance development, so that in the next years the development will be faster.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
They are all 8 core chiplets that are produced at TSMC.
The best go into servers CPUs Epyc, but as we are talking desktop CPUs then start there, the best out of those go into 5950x, nothing fused off, 2 good 8 core chiplets, I'd imagine the best also go into the 5800x, nothing fused off.
The 5900x gets 2 faulty not so great cores in each chiplet fused off, they then get one good 6 core chiplet and one not so great one, the same applies to the 5600x, just one 8 core chiplet with 2 faulty cores fused off, maybe not even faulty, just not meeting standards, that's binning for you.
If they decided to release a 5700x that would be an 8 core chiplet too, but probably middle of the road, they would have to find a way to justify the prices difference between that and a 5800x

Many reports saying the 5950x has one fast CCD and one slow CCD. I don't see why they would put a fast CCD in a 5600x or 5800x when they are needed for the higher clocked 5900x and 5950x. Look at the advertised clock and boost speeds... I'm sure this is the distribution:

5600x - 1 slow CCD
5800x - 1 slow
5900x - 1 fast + 1 slow
5950x - 1 fast + 1 slow

Soldato
Will we ever put this core comparison with consoles argument to bed? The Series X uses a 3.6-3.8GHz Zen 2 with a quarter of the L2 cache that the 3.6-4.4GHz 3700X has. Given the performance comparison between the 5600X and 3700X it's safe to say the 6 core 5600X (3.7-4.6GHz) is more powerful than the 8 core consoles. Don't get hung up on cores, it's total performance that counts.

Developers will target the number of cores in the new consoles, when making next gen games. The new consoles have 8, therefore it's a foolish idea to buy a new gaming PC in 2021 with less than 8 cores.

Doens't really matter if the cores are +/- 10% performance, it's the existence of the actual threads that matters. Not enough cores/threads = stuttering, low fps on the 99th percentile, a horrible experience. 6 super fast cores can't physically make up for this, if the game is calling for 8.

Soldato
6 super fast cores can't physically make up for this, if the game is calling for 8.

Maybe I'm a fool. But I don't actually think that's true. I think 6 fast cores like 5600X (higher clock speeds, more instructions per clock, a lot more cache) more than makes up for the 8 slower cores in consoles. Just my slightly educated opinion, don't shoot me.

Associate
Maybe I'm a fool. But I don't actually think that's true. I think 6 fast cores like 5600X (higher clock speeds, more instructions per clock, a lot more cache) more than makes up for the 8 slower cores in consoles. Just my slightly educated opinion, don't shoot me.

That's correct, which is why you see them all perform pretty equal at 1440p+. It performs a lot of sequential operations which is why single core performance has always mattered, and why Intel have lead that race for several years; there are some exceptions like strategy games where the CPU manages unit interactions, which would benefit from more threads.

The old consoles had 8 too. Your argument is absurd on a number of levels (as always), but the entire premise of it being so obviously faulty is certainly a glaring flaw.

I suspect most of his info comes from The Verge :D

Soldato
Many reports saying the 5950x has one fast CCD and one slow CCD. I don't see why they would put a fast CCD in a 5600x or 5800x when they are needed for the higher clocked 5900x and 5950x. Look at the advertised clock and boost speeds... I'm sure this is the distribution:

5600x - 1 slow CCD
5800x - 1 slow
5900x - 1 fast + 1 slow
5950x - 1 fast + 1 slow

Have a look at manual overclocking results though

5900X 4.6-4.7ghz
5800X 4.8ghz+ at the same voltages.

Soldato

5600x - 1 slow CCD
5800x - 1 slow
5900x - 1 fast + 1 slow
5950x - 1 fast + 1 slow

No I dont think this is how it works. I don't think they produce a "fast" or "slow" 8 core CCX, they just produce the CCX, of course, some will be better than others, its the luck of the silicone.

When they test them if some of the cores dont meet the grade (whatever that is AMD decide I guess) then the 2 worse cores get disabled and turned into 6 core CCXs which then get put together for a 5900x or just one for a 5600x. But as 2 of the 8 cores didnt make the grade, that CCX as a whole didnt bin as well, and I think that is showing on the overall quality of those CPUs.

Have a look at manual overclocking results though

5900X 4.6-4.7ghz
5800X 4.8ghz+ at the same voltages.

Exactly this, ignoring the advertised speeds you only need to look at all the user created post and threads already on these to show that the CPU's with the 6 core CCX's are not overclocking as well, or the cores are inconsistent in performance, vs the 5800 which are getting much more consistent core speeds and better overclocking overall.

Soldato
My old 3800x used to benchmark at 100k (doesn’t matter what benchmark, bear with me...)

My new 3900xt benches at 125k so that’s a 25% uplift for a 50% core uplift.

I am in no doubt some of the cores simply aren’t worth having and whilst I couldn’t tell you the strong/weak cx pattern, The weaker 12 core Ryzens aren’t worth the price difference over the stonking 8 core Ryzens.

Soldato
My old 3800x used to benchmark at 100k (doesn’t matter what benchmark, bear with me...)

My new 3900xt benches at 125k so that’s a 25% uplift for a 50% core uplift.

I am in no doubt some of the cores simply aren’t worth having and whilst I couldn’t tell you the strong/weak cx pattern, The weaker 12 core Ryzens aren’t worth the price difference over the stonking 8 core Ryzens.

As the core count goes up, don't you run in the power issues? In that you don't have the power budget to give each of 12 cores the same watts as each of 8 cores had available. It's not so much that some of the 12 cores are not as good quality, but they are just a few watts down on what an 8 core chip have give them?

I'm thinking of this from Anandtech
tTFsKbn.png

Man of Honour
The old consoles had 8 too. Your argument is absurd on a number of levels (as always), but the entire premise of it being so obviously faulty is certainly a glaring flaw.

Yup, I agree. The only concern I have is that this time the CPU in the consoles is actually halfway capable, and not woefully underpowered from the get-go like it was with the PS4/Xbox One. I would say it isn't totally unreasonable to expect the 6 cores to become a problem - albeit only a small one - towards the end of this generation of consoles. That still leaves at least 5-6 years, and I expect it would only be in certain specific games that it would be even mentionable.

Soldato
As the core count goes up, don't you run in the power issues? In that you don't have the power budget to give each of 12 cores the same watts as each of 8 cores had available. It's not so much that some of the 12 cores are not as good quality, but they are just a few watts down on what an 8 core chip have give them?

I'm thinking of this from Anandtech
tTFsKbn.png
I genuinely don’t know how it works but all the benchmarks I run and all the evidence I see show the additional 4 cores over an *800 cpu are barely worth having. It’s like supplementing a team of 8 SAS with 4 Boy Scouts.

Back
Top Bottom