5950X/3080ti build cooling ideas help.

Associate
I have just upgraded my old 8700k/1080ti into a 5950x/3080ti system.
I upgraded the RAM to G.Skill Ripjaw x2 16gb sticks too.

I kept my old case which is a Meshify C by Fractal Design and my old AIO which is a H100i V2 (4/5 Year old)

I need some help with cooling ideas as my CPU is running idle at 60'C and loaded at 90'C (Which is more than likely thermal throttling).
Currently i have a 120mm rear exhaust, the AIO on the roof as intake and 2x 140mm fans at the front for intake.
Unfortunately i cant run the AIO at the front as the GPU is too long so im kind of stuck and running the AIO as an exhaust is not really an option due to CPU temps.
I wanted to upgrade to a 280mm AIO but im not sure if that will fit up top as im not sure there is enough clearance to the motherboard/RAM Sticks.
Or
My other thought would be to upgrade the case to a Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX, and try and find the best cooling based on that case.
Either way i think my AIO isnt cut out for the CPU as its a little old and may have had its fair share of evaporation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Man of Honour
If it's hitting 60 degrees at idle I would say it's a mounting issue or the pump isn't working. To check the pump either use a piece of software to check the pump speed or place a finger on it and check for vibration. If there is no vibration it's probably not working. If the pump is ok I would remove the AIO block/pump unit and clean all the thermal paste off that and the cpu. While it's off turn set the fans to exhaust through the roof instead of intake. you don't want 4 fans set to intake with only a single 120mm exhaust as you want to get the warm air out of the case not trap it inside. Once done add some fresh thermal paste to the cpu and refit the block/pump unit tightening each screw down a little at a time diagonally opposite the previous screw (eg, top left, bottom right, then top right, bottom left). If that still doesn't fix it then the AIO might simply be overwhelmed although I would expect that to be more noticeable at load.

Associate
OP
Apologies .

If you take the side panel off does temps improve?
Not at all, the change it makes could be chalked up to deviations in ambient. It's pretty negligible.

As I said, I think the AIO is 1) Past it's best and 2) already as a AIO that would be sub par for that CPU it just compounds the issue.

What I'm thinking is if I get a 280mm AIO is it going to fit the top of the case Because the front isn't an option.
Or
Is it worth getting a little bigger case in the 500DX and maybe going from there.

However, I'll try turning the AIO to exhaust to see what happens but most of the time it adds to CPU temps, which in this case wouldn't be ideal.

Associate
With AMD it helps idle temps a ton to cut down the active processes to properly get your cpu idle at reasonable temps. Did you keep the old windows rather than install a fresh version or just perhaps just have lots of background cpu usage from things like Rgb programs etc? It does help the gaming temps too since only 2 cores usually go to max clock while gaming on 5000 with the rest being able to idle. My 3950x used to idle about 50-55c (quad radiator to itself) until I cleaned things up then it would go down to 34 degrees when cores could properly idle. The 5900x I have now idles about room temp (19 in winter) with there being next to zero background cpu usage, much better than the 3000 series. jUqYYlv.png

Associate
OP
With AMD it helps idle temps a ton to cut down the active processes to properly get your cpu idle at reasonable temps. Did you keep the old windows rather than install a fresh version or just perhaps just have lots of background cpu usage from things like Rgb programs etc? It does help the gaming temps too since only 2 cores usually go to max clock while gaming on 5000 with the rest being able to idle. My 3950x used to idle about 50-55c (quad radiator to itself) until I cleaned things up then it would go down to 34 degrees when cores could properly idle. The 5900x I have now idles about room temp (19 in winter) with there being next to zero background cpu usage, much better than the 3000 series.
Im OCD about background processes and i was idling at 1-2% CPU usage with bare, absolute bare minimum processes running.
That being said, the issue was the AIO as i thought.
I bought a H115i Pro XT 280mm AIO and now my temps at idle sit at 30-35'c and under load, very rarely get above 65'c, in fact, no matter what load i put the new rig under i have never seen it get past 72'c.
Issue resolved.

Back
Top Bottom