• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5970 major problem

Soldato
Hi guys

Bought a HIS 5970 and all has been fine with it, today i launched left for dead 2 and my pc just locked up so i rebooted but all that happens now is it locks up on the winows boot screen, but before i had been playing ruse for over 1 hour without any issues.

I have tried formating with the same issues and going into safe mode and removing all ati drivers with driver cleaner but the same issues, the card works fine but soon as i install drivers it gets to the windows boot screen then just stops there anyone got any ideas or does it sound as if its buggered.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a similar problem with a GTX460 last week, turned out the card was faulty.

Best to try it in another pc to confirm.

Soldato
OP
I know my pc is ok as i use a x1600 pro as a standby card and its fine had my pc up and running but soon as i put drivers in for the 5970 it locks on boot screen everytime.

zia

zia

Associate
do you mean it's totally blank? or just freezies at the windows loading screen?i sometime get complete blank screen when sometime changing drivers.what i do is just after post screen hit f9 then f8 which brings up the windows boot option screen and choose low res mode.then it will boot into windows and you can set the res etc and it should be fine.

zia

Soldato
OP
I get the pulsing from the windows logo then after the first/second pulse it flickers as if its going to load but just crashes on there, can do nothing but reset it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know that but its been fine for over a week i have had it until today, but his problem was to do with the motherboard not the card.

I don't get that issue though, the pc boots just when you hit the windows boot screen it locks up never had this issue before.

Soldato
OP
I have tried cats from 10.5 upwards and i have tried it in a spare board/cpu i have lying about and the outcome is the same on that as soon as i try and install drivers it freezes on the windows startup screen.

Soldato
OP
So should i just leave it plugged in ? i thought it was a driver issues as the windows start up screen is loading drivers, have tried 64/32 bit and its always the same the pic below shows where mine freezes, it just sits at that screen but the windows image stops pulsing.

The card gets hot as hell when i have taken it out.

Windows-7-Boot-Screen-for-Slow-Start-Up.jpg

Soldato
So should i just leave it plugged in ? i thought it was a driver issues as the windows start up screen is loading drivers, have tried 64/32 bit and its always the same the pic below shows where mine freezes, it just sits at that screen but the windows image stops pulsing.

The card gets hot as hell when i have taken it out.

Windows-7-Boot-Screen-for-Slow-Start-Up.jpg

Ah, i thought you meant the login screen there.

Man of Honour
yeah i have tried lots of drivers removing all with driver cleaner first but its the same thing soon as it gets to the windows start up screen it does the 2 pulses of the logo then flickers and stops.

Sounds like a fault then. Tried the oven baking method? Monitored the temps of the card before the crash? Does it only happen with L4D2? All other drivers updated?

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a fault then. Tried the oven baking method? Monitored the temps of the card before the crash? Does it only happen with L4D2? All other drivers updated?

I was playing ruse for a good hour and all was fine it, come out of ruse and ran l4d2 the pc froze and i had to reset and this is what's happened, in ruse temps were low 70's which was fine.

All upto date i have formatted 2 times now and tried with different drivers both times to remove drivers, i am sitting on it now with no drivers in but soon as i install them and reboot it freezes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom