5ghz+5.1ghz++ delidded+ 8PACK Elite Tier and Xtreme Kabylake 7700K and 7600K bundles 5ghz+5.1ghz+del

Soldato
That is just a means to an end though... So considering Kaby comes out of the box at 4.5 and he can sell kits that do 5.2.. That makes him pleased???

Even more reason to be disappointing in my book...

Now back when you could push 3 ghz to 5ghz.. That was pleasing / exciting...

What we are getting now is just meh..

Nothing wrong with it, but seeing someone (allegedly) really "excited" by such small tangible gains has to be questioned (especially as he is trying to sell it)

Always liked OCUK and use them for tons of stuff but you have to be honest and I cant take someone seriously who thinks Kaby Lake is in any way at all "exciting" even more so to an enthusiast.

Unless your rig is old and creaking you would have to be mad to buy it.

Soldato
That is just a means to an end though... So considering Kaby comes out of the box at 4.5 and he can sell kits that do 5.2.. That makes him pleased???

Nothing wrong with it, but seeing someone (allegedly) really "excited" by such small tangible gains has to be questioned (especially as he is trying to sell it)

Always liked OCUK and use them for tons of stuff but you have to be honest and I cant take someone seriously who thinks Kaby Lake is in any way at all "exciting" even more so to an enthusiast.

That's probably your perspective on things making you cynical. That tends to happen when living that far in the past. Silicon has come along way, and this is a merely a platform refresh.

Coming from someone who owns a £1,600 processor sporting Broadwell architecture, I fail to see your angle.

Associate
Soldato
That's probably your perspective on things making you cynical. That tends to happen when living that far in the past. Silicon has come along way, and this is a merely a platform refresh.

Coming from someone who owns a £1,600 processor sporting Broadwell architecture, I fail to see your angle.

I never said I was blown away by my own CPU, I just need all the cores I can get my hands on.... I also resent having to pay so much for it but my productivity is higher and that is what counts.

I also take your point that silicon has come a long way, and that is evident in the power consumption of modern cpu's.. If that drives your excitement levels then yes, point taken, no argument....

The technical advancements are also outstanding when you look at the lithography process, and in the GPU space this is feeding into real world improvements, other than lower power consumption and temps though, its hard to see where this process is really driving significant IPC innovation...

So in terms of raw performance, this is move along...

I hope Zen delivers something decent as otherwise Intel will just keep adding 5% a year... And people will say "wow, this is amazing"...

Last edited:
Soldato
I never said I was blown away by my own CPU, I just need all the cores I can get my hands on.... I also resent having to pay so much for it but my productivity is higher and that is what counts.

Perhaps you’re looking too much into being blown away. Nobody is flipping tables in excitement over it. The process refinement with Kaby that allows them to reach the speeds they can now is pretty impressive, certainly more so than what anyone else in that sector is doing. If in the market for a system, and within budget (and your workload isn’t heavily multi-threaded) then it doesn’t make sense to look elsewhere. Perhaps the cynical aspect comes from some people expecting more from a platform refresh.

I also take your point that silicon has come a long way, and that is evident in the power consumption of modern cpu's.. If that drives your excitement levels then yes, point taken, no argument....
where this process is really driving significant IPC innovation...
That’s a slightly capricious outlook, the industry isn’t in the same place it was 7 or 8 years ago. It’s not really as though AMD are doing anything better.

OCUK aren’t imploring people to swap out their 6700K for this refresh, but it is currently the fastest processor in its SKU. There’s enough performance metric out on the web to show just how things have come since Sandybridge, and unless you’re cherry picking results (or testing methodology) – you’d be hard pressed to say there isn’t a difference.

Caporegime
Looks like that's about a £500 premium.

If you were to buy those components and do the overclock yourself, what would the likely outcome be ? 4.8GHz, 5Ghz ? Is the (possible) extra performance worth ~£500 ?

Some people want the best and can afford the best, OcUK/8pack have to cater to them as well as us :)

Soldato

Raw speed doesn't mean anything.

For example if you get 1000 points in a benchmark on a CPU from 2007 per 1GHz
But you get 5000 points in a benchmark on a new CPU per GHz.

Then 2GHZ overclock would give roughly 2000 more points in that benchmark on the 2007 CPU
But a 0.8GHz overclock on the new CPU would give you 4000 more points.

So in theory the overclock on the newer CPU is better even though the actual raw GHz speed is less jumped up. It is all about the efficiency per mhz cycle now, not about pure grunt.

Consider a 2.0 litre car engine from 1985 vs a 2.0 litre car engine from today. Both are same capacity, but I'm sure the newer engine provide far more BHP and torque. Same analogy

Last edited:
Soldato
Raw speed doesn't mean anything.

So in theory the overclock on the newer CPU is better even though the actual raw GHz speed is less jumped up. It is all about the efficiency per mhz cycle now, not about pure grunt.

Agree 100%

And if you look, IPC on Kabylake is IDENTICAL to Skylake, so there is no increase in efficiency, so unless you run it faster, its exactly the same....

So you do need raw grunt (as you put it) :D

Soldato
I'm not comparing Kabylake to Skylake.... AND NOR WAS YOU IN THE POST I QUOTED.....
My reply was in relation to your point where you talked about 3ghz to 5ghz is exciting but 4.2ghz to 5.0ghz is not exciting.

I think most people with a 6700K knows that upgrading to 7700K is a fairly pointless in terms of performance gains, there is a minor jump.
But you know what... not all forum users had a 6700K, some customers of OcUK may be on scoket 775 or 1366 etc.... Just because it has no use to you doesn't mean KabyLake is pointless.

Last edited:
Soldato
Err there is NO performance gain clock for clock over Skylake except AVX.. And i pointed out that it WAS worth upgrading from a much older rig.. Here though is an extract from intels "new" product information table... Complete with new categorisation.

Kaby is not a tick, or a tock, or a process, it is simply called by Intel

Kaby Lake (2016-17) "14nm+" Seventh-generation Core i3/i5/i7, Core m3 "Optimization"

Personally I would call it "Pointless" or "Expensive"

:D

PS also its 4.5 > 5 ish.. So circa 10%... Not 4.2, thats just the base non loaded clock.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
These bundles are selling well so it proves that some customers value the extra speed and want the highest possible bin Cpu.

After testing three hundred or so stats tell me the average user would have to test 6-7 cpu and be lucky to find one of these gems.

Associate
There is certainly a increase in kabylake but I understand where people are coming from it's not a big difference and can totally see why many would buy one of these bundles. Not for me as not truly interested in kabylake more Skylake X and Cannonlake this like Devils Canyon is a refresh to get max out of current gen.

Associate
These bundles are selling well so it proves that some customers value the extra speed and want the highest possible bin Cpu.

After testing three hundred or so stats tell me the average user would have to test 6-7 cpu and be lucky to find one of these gems.

It seems up to 45 people (so far) are willing to pay a hefty premium for a (very) slightly faster PC. ;)

Associate
I just bought the package below, could someone direct me to the comprehensive guide as detailed on the web page please?:D

APPROVED - ELITE TIER KABY LAKE M-ATX BUNDLE: INTEL I7 7700K @ 4.80GHZ -Stock Code: BU-00B-8P

"In addition to this host of Elite Tier Hardware, Overclockers UK will be providing each customer with a comprehensive guide on how to Overclock this system. We will take all the hard work out of this for you meaning the most you will need to do is to type in a few simple settings. It really couldn't be easier. "

Back
Top Bottom