6-pin to 8-pin for Nvidia 1080

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my current GTX960 gpu to a 1080. My current GPU is using a 1 x 6pin power connector, but the 1080 requires 1 x 8pin. My PSU (600W, so no issues there) has a 1 x 6-pin and what looks like 1 x 6+2pin(?) cable available but no 8-pin. Would a simple 6-pin to 8-pin adapter such as this one No Competitors do the trick? Or will the 6+2pin work just fine?

This is my first major upgrade, other than an additional SSD previously, so I appreciate the help!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Make sure they are in tight as I have had one burn out on me that was a little loose in the socket. This was on my old pc and was melting the plastic around the pins.
I thought I could smell something and took no notice, but a few days later the pc stopped working. I found that the plug was not quite all the way in and this was the problem.
Make sure it clicks into the socket and does not pull back out.

Associate
You do need a pretty high throughput PSU (750W+) to yield dedicated 8-pin connectors these days, but they are around. 6+2 is fine, but they kind of snap together and can be a little fiddly. As Jabbz says, do ensure they're exactly in line before connecting it, else you'll get some weird and faulty results. It's fairly obvious when it's neatly in place.

Random aside but a colleague ordered a 1200W Titanium modular the other day, and that came with three 8-pins! Insane.

Back
Top Bottom