• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£600 6700xt vs £900 6700xt?

Associate
I've started piecing together parts to build my son a gaming pc for Christmas. The last time I built one was over 15 years ago now, and I've literally been out the pc loop for probably the last 13 years.

As you can imagine I've had a bit of a surprise when it comes to pricing up graphics cards! I was hoping to cobble together a mid range pc for a grand excluding moniter, keyboard and mouse (have those already). In my head a decent graphics card was £300. I'm obviously looking at double that at an absolute minimum.

This has led me to look at the 6700xt's. So what's the difference between a £600 and £900 6700? Prices are from ocuk shop. Is the £900 card 33% 'faster / more powerful' than the £600 version? If it is, how is it still a 6700, and not say, a 6800/6900.

I've obviously got 5 months to get a card. Do you think I'd be better off holding out a few months?

Soldato
The £600 6700xt doesn't exist.

At least not at OCUK, and not at any other mainstream retailer I can find.

Infact the cheapest 6800xt is in fact OCUK which is one of the MSI ones I believe at £730.

Welcome to 2021.

Edit: £740

Soldato
It's a REALLLLY bad time to be building a new gaming PC. Prices are up, but graphics cards are bonkers due to:

1) Everyone being at home and buying out all the stock
2) Crypto miners buying everything in sight.
3) Production issues with just about anything right now chip wise.

Your best bet is to find a buddy with an old card to get by, you can borrow or buy cheap from them, or wait it out. I'm still waiting to upgrade my daughters GPU (an old 270x 2GB - urgh) until the market calms down.

p.s. What I personally did for now is actually buy my daughter things like an iPad Air in lieu of crazy GPU prices (but she does want to play minecraft RT so it's getting a problem lol). I'm just not going to pay the insane prices even if I do have the money. I'd rather take a family vacation to yellowstone or something.

Associate
OP
I have a xbox series x and he has a switch and xbox one. But he too wants to play Minecraft and the big open world games and some of the mods that go along with them. Mods are a no go on consoles unfortunately.

I was just going by the prices listed. Didn't realise only about half of them were actually in stock. If these things do become available at the prices listed, is there a real world £300 performance difference between cards?

And if it we weren't in the current supply/demand situation, how much would these cards generally sell for?

Permabanned
The question you have to ask yourself is, do you really need a new card and how many games do you own that need the extra oomph?
I've wasted money buying a 1080Ti and I knew I was I just wanted it, I only play Minion Masters these days as I don't have the (word) to play anything else.
I went from a GTX 285 to a GTX 970 with a free copy of AC Syndicate and I loved that game so much and got my monies worth. but once that was done I suppose it'll be another 6 years but probably not as i'm getting on a bit now.

Associate
Yep little difference, some are clocked a little higher and have a little better cooling, but for the sake of a couple extra frame rates you may as well go for the cheaper card certainly not worth the £300 hike. I think you'll find that's old pricing tho from a redundant product listing and you'll not see a £600 6700xt for a while yet, we live in hope though

Soldato
If you go from a £600 to £900 card you won't get a 50% jump in performance. Maybe a little cooler and quieter but that's it. It might get a bit better towards Christmas. I'd hold off buying a GPU as long as you can.

Soldato
@Batf1nk

Those price jumps listed on OCUK are meaningless.

Any price you see on out of stock cards are simply placeholder prices, or maybe what they sold for before going out of stock.

Either way, you can't compare those prices because they basically don't exist. Just go by the prices of the in stock cards only, so £740 -£830 I think.

And the only difference is brand, warranty period, cooler and small clock variations that won't make much of a difference.

Sapphire are generally regarded the best manufacturer for AMD (certainly found this in my personal experience also) but honestly I'd probably buy of those ones listed with 3yr warranty this time around due to insane prices.

Caporegime
The XFX 6700 XT Merc Black is the best 6700 XT on the market, if you can find one in stock. There is one retailer selling them online last i looked, but they are not well known - to me at least.

Soldato
I have a xbox series x and he has a switch and xbox one. But he too wants to play Minecraft and the big open world games and some of the mods that go along with them. Mods are a no go on consoles unfortunately.

I was just going by the prices listed. Didn't realise only about half of them were actually in stock. If these things do become available at the prices listed, is there a real world £300 performance difference between cards?

And if it we weren't in the current supply/demand situation, how much would these cards generally sell for?

The 6700XT RRP is between £400 to £450 and even at that price is average value for money.

Mods are available on the MS consoles. Not every mod but they are available for Minecraft and even Bethesda games. Also do you really need a 6700XT to run Minecraft? That is faster than what most of my mates have,and I even run massively modded Fallout 4 and games such as Valheim on a slower GPU from 2016 at qHD.

You can get a GTX1650 GDDR6 for £200 brand new!

Also TBH it's just cheaper to buy a prebuilt PC or a laptop now if you want a new PC. I have seen RTX3060 laptops for around £900 IIRC,and prebuilt systems for less than finding the parts for at retail.

Last edited:
Soldato

Spend the money on more games and accessories for the series x and switch or buy a PS5 (Or going out now that the country is opening up)
I can't in good concious recommend that you buy a GPU at the current prices. Especially since you've just said you have other forms of entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom