• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6300 Retail (Cooler problems)

Soldato
I bought a 6300 (Retail) from OcUk a few weeks back, and yesterday I got SpeedFan just to check out what temps it was getting to.

When I started it up, the CPU was about 65c. So I checked if the cooler was spinning at all, but it was off completely. There was nothing blocking it so I touched the blades and it started up, and the temp dropped to 28C after a minute.

So I left the computer on again for a few hours and it was fine, so I left it on while I went out, came back and the temp. had gone back up to 70c and the cooler was off again.

Is there any reason the cooler would be turning itself off completely? And when it's off, doesn't turn itself back on even when restarting or turning the computer off?

Soldato
OP
smit101 said:
Some kind of thermal throttling going on I reckon,maybe similar to Amd's cool an' quiet,check your bios.

Thanks for the reply, I was told the Intel equivalent was "EIST" the setting is mentioned in my mobo manual and says the option will be available when a CPU that supports the feature is fitted. But there's no sign of it in the BIOS at all.

Soldato
OP
wizardmaxx said:
Remove the fan from the cpu connector and try plugging the fan into the sysfan connector. I'm sure there have been threads on this before.

Sorry, I did search but couldn't see anything relevant, I'll give this a go now and leave it running for a few hours. Thanks for your help.

Associate
might be a fan problem if you touched the fan and it started spinning, I would try with a spare fan if you have one before you do anything too drastic

Back
Top Bottom