650w psu enough for vega 64?

Soldato
I'm tinkering with the idea to move away from the greenside and dipping into the 2nd market for a vega 64.

Im currently rocking a super flower green hx 650w 80+ gold psu which is powering a 1070 along with an oc ryzen 1700 and 16gb ram.

Reading how power hungry the vega 64 range is I'm wondering if its cutting it fine? Esp if I look at picking up a liquid edition one.

Soldato
How old is that PSU?
It uses cheap C(r)apXon capacitors in design which sandwhiches them into place with no airflow and heat producing parts on both sides.
So it isn't anyway good candidate for long age in higher end PC.

And any at least not undervolted Vega can draw quite huge current spikes besides that very high 350W continuous draw of that liquid cooled version.
So quality 750W PSU wouldn't be out of place.

Soldato
OP
How old is that PSU?
It uses cheap C(r)apXon capacitors in design which sandwhiches them into place with no airflow and heat producing parts on both sides.
So it isn't anyway good candidate for long age in higher end PC.

And any at least not undervolted Vega can draw quite huge current spikes besides that very high 350W continuous draw of that liquid cooled version.
So quality 750W PSU wouldn't be out of place.

Its going on 5 years so maybe time for an upgrade. Looking at past recommendations the seasonic focus 80+ gold seems a good candidate. Just wondering if worth spending that bit extra and going for 850 for some extranheadroom

Man of Honour
With a Vega64 being able to pull vast amounts of power I would replace that psu, probably with a quality 750w. Although Superflower is a good brand they cut corners on the HX. I have just seen a picture of the insides of the HX450 and I can see what EsaT is saying so I don't think your psu is up to the job. I would be wary of using a Seasonic Focus Plus with a Vega as there were some problems due to incompatibility although I believe it's fixed now by a new revision. All the same, there could be some older models of the Focus Plus in retail so I would choose something else.

The cheapest I would go with is the Bitfenix Formula Series 750w. This is a Gold rated CWT built unit with quad 12v rails and the full 750w is available across them. The cables are fixed and it has a 5 year warranty. Review here.

I never thought I would be recommending a Aerocool psu but the Project 7 750w Platinum is a very good psu. It's built by Andyson and has a single 12v rail with 744w available on it. All cables are removeable and it has a 7 year warranty. Review of the 850w version here.

The Corsair RM750x is a CWT built unit with a single 12v rail of the full 750w. It is Gold rated, all of the cables are modular and it has a 10 year warranty. Review here.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Soldato
I would be wary of using a Seasonic Focus Plus with a Vega as there were some problems due to incompatibility although I believe it's fixed now by a new revision. All the same, there could be some older models of the Focus Plus in retail so I would choose something else.

The cheapest I would go with is the Bitfenix Formula Series 750w. This is a Gold rated CWT built unit with quad 12v rails and the full 750w is available across them.
Seasonic relaxed overcurrent/short circuit limits of Focus line in last years's January.
So considering rate at which they sell probability for finding unit made that long ago is likely somewhere around that for finding honest banker/big company CEO/politician.

Bitfenix Formula again needs always using using two separate PCI-e cables with high power draw graphics cards.
Otherwise those artificial current limiters can cause shutdowns during gaming.
Just last week there was case of that problem in General Hardware with 750W model and Vega 64.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @pastymuncher and @EsaT

The corsair rmx 750 is currently reduced to 104 so swaying that way with the 10 year warranty too. It looks a tad long in the picture but I'm thinking it's jsut the angle as it's 160mm and my v21 matx case takes 200mm

Soldato
OP
Snap it up at that price. Corsair launched a revised version last year which is now shorter at 160mm so OCUK's picture could still be of the original which was 180mm long.

I had it my basket ready to purchase but quickly looking up reviews the rainforest seems to be fairly mixed reviews with some complaining about coil whine and unit failure :confused: In two minds now

Back
Top Bottom