• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

660 v 660Ti

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
At 1080p the 660ti keeps up with the big cards so there is no real need to get anything more expensive.

As for the 660 it is cheaper but it would mean having to turn down a setting or two compared to the 660ti.

That's the reason I got a 660ti anyway :)

Permabanned
OP
But these benches show otherwise?

I know multiplayer will vary alittle but apart from that i dont see any reason to go Ti over a 660 you can get SSD for the £70-80 difference lol.

Associate
I have the 660 and I play every game I have at max settings....its superb.....why pay extra for the ti when its not much better than the 660....I read a few reviews before buying it and I saw it out performs a 580 so seemed a good buy for me. And it beats my heaven benchmark for gtx460 sli I had prior to this card..

Last edited:
Soldato
But these benches show otherwise?

I know multiplayer will vary alittle but apart from that i dont see any reason to go Ti over a 660 you can get SSD for the £70-80 difference lol.

Not sure where your getting prices from but a decent 660ti is £225 and a decent 660 £175 so that's £50. I know you not aloud to talk about prices though lol.

It's whether or not an extra few frames is worth £50 to you. :)

Permabanned
OP
Yeah i suppose its down to that, i know the 660Ti is a better card but £50 difference no lol.

I paid £180 for the WF with AC3 so its like £150 as that game is one i wanted.

Hopefully all will be good get it tomoz and do a full test.

Soldato
Yeah i suppose its down to that, i know the 660Ti is a better card but £50 difference no lol.

I paid £180 for the WF with AC3 so its like £150 as that game is one i wanted.

Hopefully all will be good get it tomoz and do a full test.

Yes I think that's a good choice :)

Soldato
OT, is your problem now sorted?

It reset before during gw2, swapping zones in map, again when power was down. Apparent bsod, but I never got to saw it.

Apart from that its been great. Starting to wonder about the psu now, if it would cause that (but all the other problems like driver failing and recovering surely wouldn't have been down to power?

Caporegime
It reset before during gw2, swapping zones in map, again when power was down. Apparent bsod, but I never got to saw it.

Apart from that its been great. Starting to wonder about the psu now, if it would cause that (but all the other problems like driver failing and recovering surely wouldn't have been down to power?

I would be very surprised it if it the PSU but I am out of Ideas. You could try a complete clean install to rule out any software issues and run your CPU at stock to also help identify.

Run memtest86+ just in case faulty memory.

If it is still doing it, I have no idea sorry. I would guess at the card but not 100% on that guess either.

Soldato
It's a fresh install as of 3 weeks ago (new SSD) problems existed before and after.

Member test is fine as well.

Think I'm gonna sell in on and buy a 660 gtx. If that doesn't fix it then I really am stumped.

Should I reflash with the original bios before selling it on?

Caporegime
It's a fresh install as of 3 weeks ago (new SSD) problems existed before and after.

Member test is fine as well.

Think I'm gonna sell in on and buy a 660 gtx. If that doesn't fix it then I really am stumped.

Should I reflash with the original bios before selling it on?

Can you not test it in another computer? It is getting old now and probably a good call on upgrading :)

Soldato
Can you not test it in another computer? It is getting old now and probably a good call on upgrading :)

Its always been dodgy. When i got it (from MM) i had problems with it over heating and BSOD, turns out a dodgy re-paste was responsible. In that time I tracked its owners back, a total of 4 in the space of 4 months, all declaring nothing was wrong with it for them, so nothing i could do apart from RMA it. Tried going through the process but in the end they were so useless i gave up. Date on card is Jan 2011, so its still got 13 months on it for the next buyer if they want to jump through hoops.

The problems did seem to stop, but i wasn't playing many games apart from FM at that period oh and Skyrim which would evoke a few niggles here and there.

Around July i did a full mobo/mem/CPU upgrade, and there have been the current issues since then. Its had that, a new SSD and PSU, there really is nothing left to suggest there is a fault somewhere else. Just ram memtest again before, passed.

So 660 ordered from here, Msi again, but last i know its new, and any problems OCUK are on hand to deal with them instead of chasing my tail.

Think i should knock back the idle volts before selling it then?

Caporegime
Sometimes it is better to bite the bullet so to speak and count our losses. The 660 will be a nice upgrade and fingers crossed, you have plain sailing gaming/normal use :)

Soldato
Sometimes it is better to bite the bullet so to speak and count our losses. The 660 will be a nice upgrade and fingers crossed, you have plain sailing gaming/normal use :)

Daft thing is the 560ti I've got just went for £105 not inc delivery. That and the £17 for the AC3 code, well, it's a no brainer.

At the least the 660 should be quieter, use less energy, run cooler and do me for all my 1050p needs. It'll also sell well in the future.

Top Bottom