• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6600XT and 6700XT price changes

Soldato
I myself am experiencing weakness in not getting my kiddo a 6600 XT just because it's available at around 100 dollars over MSRP. I look at the 3060Ti MSRP and laugh at the idea of doing that though.

Soldato
OP
I myself am experiencing weakness in not getting my kiddo a 6600 XT just because it's available at around 100 dollars over MSRP. I look at the 3060Ti MSRP and laugh at the idea of doing that though.

The prices are really not that bad for the 6600XT, considering the 5700XT was generally priced around £400. It's still faster than the 5700XT and older GPUs like the 1080 TI and 1080. My brother got a GTX 1080 for around £440 years ago. All these GPUs are suitable for 1080p, but I suppose thats not considered enough anymore for the PC master race ;)

The normal progression of increased performance for a new generation, at a similar price unfortunately doesn't apply at the moment. But the RX 6600 is still faster and cheaper than the RTX 3060 (arguably overpriced), the card it's designed to compete with.

I think it really hasn't helped that AMD has been slow to release it's card aimed at 1080p gaming, no doubt due to prioritizing GPUs in consoles.

Update - cheapest RX 6600 XT is around £420-430 (readily available).

Last edited:
Soldato
The prices are really not that bad for the 6600XT, considering the 5700XT was generally priced around £400. It's still faster than the 5700XT and older GPUs like the 1080 TI and 1080. My brother got a GTX 1080 for around £440 years ago. All these GPUs are suitable for 1080p, but I suppose thats not considered enough anymore for the PC master race ;)

The normal progression of increased performance for a new generation, at a similar price unfortunately doesn't apply at the moment. But the RX 6600 is still faster and cheaper than the RTX 3060 (arguably overpriced), the card it's designed to compete with.

I think it really hasn't helped that AMD has been slow to release it's card aimed at 1080p gaming, no doubt due to prioritizing GPUs in consoles.

Update - cheapest RX 6600 XT is around £420-430 (readily available).
5700XTs could be had for around £350 for the cheap models though and are pretty much the same speed as the 6600XT so really the 6600XT even at £400 is very poor.

The 3060 isn't any better either and should have come with 8gb VRAM and a 256 bit bus as this would have improved performance while making it cheaper to produce.

Soldato
The 3060 isn't any better either and should have come with 8gb VRAM and a 256 bit bus as this would have improved performance while making it cheaper to produce.
It would have perhaps made the desktop part less expensive to manufacture, but it would have made the mobile 3060 more expensive to manufacture, as that only has 6GB VRAM. The same die is also used for the mobile 3050 Ti (and presumably the desktop one if it ever comes out), which is cut down even further to a 128-bit bus with only 4GB. Cutting down a 256-bit chip that much wouldn't have been cost-effective, so across the two mobile SKUs I'm sure they're making up any "loss" and then some from having to give the desktop 3060 12GB (since 6GB would have been a joke). Keep in mind that the desktop 3060 isn't even a fully-enabled die either, so more savings there through harvesting faulty parts. I'm sure they did the sums and this came out best for them, because they never miss a chance to save a penny.

Soldato
It would have perhaps made the desktop part less expensive to manufacture, but it would have made the mobile 3060 more expensive to manufacture, as that only has 6GB VRAM. The same die is also used for the mobile 3050 Ti (and presumably the desktop one if it ever comes out), which is cut down even further to a 128-bit bus with only 4GB. Cutting down a 256-bit chip that much wouldn't have been cost-effective, so across the two mobile SKUs I'm sure they're making up any "loss" and then some from having to give the desktop 3060 12GB (since 6GB would have been a joke). Keep in mind that the desktop 3060 isn't even a fully-enabled die either, so more savings there through harvesting faulty parts. I'm sure they did the sums and this came out best for them, because they never miss a chance to save a penny.
I don't think they would need to use the same bus though as the 3080/3080ti/3090 all use the same die yet the 3080 has a cut down bus speed.

Soldato
It should be noted that there is 'some' performance loss if you are still on PCI-E 3.0 with the 6600 XT as it only uses half the slot. This can range from zero difference to 10 frames difference depending on the title. Just a minor consideration. (Tech power up did an article on it).

1080p is the worst offender, and again it's only in a very few titles. otherwise it's mostly 0 to 3 fps difference.

Permabanned
Even if the price dropped to £350 for the RX 6600, I doubt ppl would be pleased...

It would be better.
£280 is probably where it should retail in a normal world.

Why is the European price starting from €605 in Germany and €710 in some other countries?

Associate
Even if the price dropped to £350 for the RX 6600, I doubt ppl would be pleased...

I'd accept that price, whether i'd buy one is another matter :p

I think given the general issues we have had with chips and shipping, paying an extra £50 is acceptable. But the 6600xt isn't a £300 + £50 card still imo.

Soldato
OP
The thing is, AMD produces so few reference models that the UK RRP of these cards is a joke /irrelevant. AMD didn't even want to produce any, but changed their mind 'due to overwhelming demand'. I suspect the reason is, they only break even on most reference models. So basing price expectations on reference model prices (for AMD) is setting yourself up to fail.

Much more realistic to compare to last gen AMD card prices, which have been superseded by RDNA2 and also include ray tracing capability.

The RX 6600 XT is still cheaper than the still decent GTX 1080 after release, so I think £350 would be a pretty good deal. It's also a fair bit faster.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just checked the AMD store, they don't even list a reference model version for the RX 6600 XT (but do for all other cards in the series).

Soldato
The problem with the 6600XT is that performance per £ has not changed compared to previous midrange cards. The 6600XT is very close in die size to the RX480/580 and uses the same amount of memory, but it costs twice as much to effectively double performance. That's not really progress.

Associate
Some buyers will always be willing to pay well above the RRP, often the ones with higher incomes. This seems to be the main factor in determining prices. There's also miners, who are still betting on making their money back (with perhaps 3-4 months left to mine Ethereum), even at graphics card prices associated with 'supernormal' profit levels.

There's also the somewhat misguided belief, that 'you get what you pay for', actually, you tend to get what's in the specification when it comes to computer components. Different brands generally have little /no reflection on the hardware itself.

I think retailers have more power than individual buyers to improve the situation, by offering pre-orders at prices closer to RRP. It may not always be possible to fulfil all orders (oh well, buyers should get a refund), but it would surely bring prices down over time, if a few of the large retailers made this decision. It would also bring the obsessive searching (leading people to que outside shops all night to get a rtx 3080 /3090, sometimes fruitlessly) for a graphics card, to an end.

Higher income just means I can buy one, doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to, especially at an such an overinflated price point.

Soldato
The RX 6600 XT is still cheaper than the still decent GTX 1080 after release, so I think £350 would be a pretty good deal. It's also a fair bit faster.
You could have got that deal 2 years ago in buying the 5700XT which were about £350 for the base models and around the same speed as the 6600XT.

Soldato
OP
Maybe the 6600 XT just isn't an especially profitable card to produce, compared to others in the series. £350 for a 1080p card sounds about right to me, I doubt this will change. The days of sub £300 1080p graphics cards are long gone, new games need a lot more horsepower than 5-6 years ago.

Last year, the cheapest 1080p card I saw was the RX 5600XT (6GB), for around £280 (I think this was only through AMD's website), but it's a fair bit less powerful than a 6600XT, which is the card it should be compared to. The trouble with the 5600XT, is there are a few games it will struggle to reach 60 FPS, at 1080p, like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Watch Dogs:Legion.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem with the 6600XT is that performance per £ has not changed compared to previous midrange cards. The 6600XT is very close in die size to the RX480/580 and uses the same amount of memory, but it costs twice as much to effectively double performance. That's not really progress.

Well, die size is not the only criteria.

While some of the "our costs have gone up", or "there is a shortage of X" are just excuses, 7nm wafers, and masks, and design costs are genuinely far higher than they were in RX480 era. Plus RX480 was the last time AMD really tried the high volume, lower margins strategy. And it was only moderately successful with the often slower 1060 (especially the 3GB version) vastly outselling it.

Irony being of course that two out of three of those costs (masks and design costs) after fixed/sunk costs so high volumes really would make sense even at a slightly reduced margin.

Sony's insatiable demand for PS5 chips, and hence TSMC 7nm wafers, is the most obvious explanation of why AMD show not interest in setting the 6600XT's price for high volumes. While they're supply constraint and are selling everything they are able to make, they've no interest to reduce their price.

All the previous times when Radeons offered far better value than GeForce, didn't get them any respect from gamers anyhow, so that wouldn't motivate them.

Back
Top Bottom