6700k Unstable Clocks/Temps

Soldato
I thought i'd post this here as well, given the CPU forum doesn't get a lot of love... Basically i've got the following problem with my 6700k, regardless of what I try and even with no OC it just wont sit still and my performance certainly in games is starting to get really choppy.

Link to CPU post:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18745418

Link to short video of it happening on idle:
https://youtu.be/wLrPAzJAElc

Tried...

• Basically everything...
  • OC, No OC, Manual volts, Adaptive - it used to sit more like 23c idle
  • LLC settings, no impact
  • BIOS is up to date
  • Resetting default mobo settings
  • Windows power managment, no issues there
  • Fans at 100% perm
  • Pump running aggressivley

Outline of issues...

So from day 1 I've felt like the temps in my 6700k are way to spikey - i'm aware they spike a lot under loads but I just don't feel like its stable anymore and its defo getting worse.

Recently I got myself a pair of 1080FTWs, the upshot of this for the CPU is that the water blocks are not yet out so basically it is now the lucky recipient of 720mm of radiator all to its self so in theory it should be running a bit cooler. Nope. I just feel like its dying a bit, nothing quite runs smooth and having gone from a 980Ti in a loop its not improved with the two 1080s so i'm leaning on the CPU. A few critical bits of information other than the [email protected] (1.32-1.36v stable, tried different LLC settings):

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Deluxe
Ram: 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000mhz
Disks: 2 x 512GB Crucial M200 (I think) SSDs
Disks: 1 x 256GB Crucial M200 SSD (OS)
Disks: 512GB M.2 950 Pro (in dedi slot on motherboard)
GPU: 2 x EVGA 1080 FTWs, @ Stock (1950 boost), running at 8x due to lanes
Cooling: Full custom loop, 2 x 360mm EK Slims, 6 x Corsair SP120s, 1 x 140mm (rear)

My main grumble is that even sitting idle im seeing core clocks just repeatedly jump from 800-4500. The temps when I got this were sitting around the 50-55c mark under load, now we are talking more like 60-70 and occasionally 75-80. If you're still reading at this point, I congratulate you on making it this far through my waffle... Main questions:

• Best means of testing for crap performance?
  • Best indicators something is wrong CPU side?
  • Best means of seeing if my CPU is not playing ball/keeping up with my GPUs?

I'm currently debating a few options:
  • Delid and replace the utter crap Intel put under the IHS
  • Trade (well ebay) my Z170/6700k and move to X99/New CPU (I do a lot of video editing as well as gaming)

Any advice is much appreciated, I figure 8pack is well experienced in kill CPUs and messing with the finer settings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom