• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

680 Upgrade and VRAM help

Associate
I have a 2gb 680 and had hoped to wait until the 800 series to upgrade. However I find my self in need of more VRAM even at a standard 1080p(skyrim modding :p). I thought of buying a second 680 but came to find out that I would still only have 2gb of VRAM, so I don't know what to do.

Also there's something I don't understand, from what I have read the 690 only has 2gb of VRAM even it's marketed as having 4gb and the upcoming 790 that's meant to have 6gb even though in reality it will only have 3gb. Why doesn't nvidia just say how much VRAM is actually usable?

Soldato
Question 1, Thats easy get a 4gb amd card or a 4gb or 3gb nvidia card, anything from a 280x or a 770 4gb or higher.

Question 2, The 690 has 4gb of memory so thats what they put on box, if they put 2gb on the box that would be bad advertising and would make the card less appealing as the card does actually have 4gb of memory even though it can only use 2gb per gfx core.

Caporegime
I have a 2gb 680 and had hoped to wait until the 800 series to upgrade. However I find my self in need of more VRAM even at a standard 1080p(skyrim modding :p). I thought of buying a second 680 but came to find out that I would still only have 2gb of VRAM, so I don't know what to do.

Also there's something I don't understand, from what I have read the 690 only has 2gb of VRAM even it's marketed as having 4gb and the upcoming 790 that's meant to have 6gb even though in reality it will only have 3gb. Why doesn't nvidia just say how much VRAM is actually usable?

Must resist :cool:

It is just marketing, its should be made illegal really. its misleading about 90% of potential customers.

Your options are a 4GB GTX 770 or a 280X.

Caporegime
If it was me, I would have slightly lower res textures in skyrim and wait for Q3 of this year where Nvidia will be releasing the performance Maxwell parts. Even if you don't want a Maxwell card, 780's will most likely drop in price once the new cards are out.

Back
Top Bottom