• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800GT or something else with XP2500?

Associate
i'm still on AGP, and had one of these cards a year ago. Should i go for this card again, or bother to get something different, considering i only use an XP2500 and 1gig of ram. I only run games at 1280 res max

cheers

Permabanned
The GT is a good card, it really depends on your budget. I'd stick another gig of ram in the machine (selling other sticks if you have no room, maybe doing 2x1 gig).

As for the card the 7800GS aka GT is available at a good price, perhaps buy a decent cpu cooler and try a little overclcking on the old cpu. Most xp2500 were able to run at 200 FSB.

Associate
OP
budget, didnt want to spend more than about 130 really

i tried pushing my cpu up ages ago..machine wouldnt remain stable, so left it back at stock.

7800GS a bit more than i want to spend really :(

Soldato
have to agree on the 6800 being a good match for the CPU

im running my 2500+ @ 3200 using an SI-97 heatsink DEFO RECOMMENDED!.

and my 6800LE matches the system perfectly and runs everything perfect at the res you use. :) you can pick up an LE on the member forums on here for around 60-70 quid and then the heatsink is £25......bingo, nice n under budget :D

Associate
OP
which 6800 card should i go for, one of the POV GT cards in the clearance section for 105 notes, as i cannot seem to find a second hand one :(

are OCUK open bank holiday monday, as i fancy trying to get one tomorrow?

cheers

Soldato
sirp said:
which 6800 card should i go for, one of the POV GT cards in the clearance section for 105 notes, as i cannot seem to find a second hand one :(

are OCUK open bank holiday monday, as i fancy trying to get one tomorrow?

cheers
Thats a good deal I just hope nobody else buys it before tomoroow

Soldato
I have a 6800GT and that CPU. Its pretty good apart from the fact that i got 512MB ram which ill upgrade to 2GB soon.

I recommend it at least.:)

My 6800 GT clocks well as well. From 350/700 i got mine to 425/857 stable but i clocked it down abit to 404/824 seeing it wouldn't make that much difference on my system. Now thats a overclock :)

Soldato
sgoaty said:
Thats a good deal I just hope nobody else buys it before tomoroow

:o

It's a clearance item so hopefully they've found a few in the warehouse, apparently the stock system should be ok now.

Soldato
sirp said:
are they open tomorrow does anyone know, couldnt find it on the site?

Spie (owner of OcUK) mentioned the other day that they'll be in on Bank Holiday working as usual, but I'm not sure if the courier will be picking up parcels on that day.

Associate
I ordered one of the POV 6800GT cards friday. I have a XP2700 and my 9700 is having a hard time with some of the new stuff, asked on here and was recommened the 6800GT. Should give a decent performance increase and can do SM3.0 stuff as well, for just over £100 with 3 free games you can't go wrong really. :)

Associate
OP
your correct, it is not true.. i used to have one m8. I downgraded when not playing pc games

and worryingly..im getting a touch of that **oh what the heck, upgrade the pc for some cool bits** syndrome !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom