• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800GT -> X1950 Pro, is it worth the upgrade and which PSU?

Associate
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 6800GT to a X1950 Pro (AGP), and I have a couple of questions if I may...

Firstly, do you think I'll see much of an increase in performance? I have an Athlon64 4000+ with 2Gig of RAM and I mostly play games like Battlefield2142, Rainbow Six:Vegas etc. I've seen the comparisons on sites like Tom's and they suggest about a 50% increase, but I wonder if anyone here has any first hand experience of from 6800gt to X1950 pro?

Secondly, I'm really confused about the power supply. I see that the X1950 Pro needs a at least 30A on the 12v supply, which my current supply doesn't have. So I need a new PSU but which one? Can anyone recommend a PSU from Overclockers (preferably the cheapest ;)).

Thanks all.

My mate (skeeter on the forums) upgraded from an asus v9999 (6800 ultra with normall 6800 bios) to a x1950 pro and he seems happy, he needed to replace his akasa 400 w psu for a corsair 620 watts although a 520 will do for you...

The 3dmark score is indeed 50 ish percent higher and frames per second are usually too according to benches.

I had a 6800 Gamer thing from Asus on which I unlocked the pipes and thus became a GT and have since moved to a X1950Pro (via a 9600Pro for a few weeks). The performance in things like 3Dmark2005 is around double (perhaps not quite), I can get around the 8400 mark without OCing the card.

As for games they all ran pretty well on the 6800 as the most I play is BF2 and Far Cry, however the X1950 Pro will run 1600x1200 with everything on and still smooth. I dont have any hard numbers to give you but it is certainly a better card.

Hi there.

Yes i had a asus v9999GE (6800 256mb) almost gt level except the pipelines. I had 4200 ish in 3d mark 05 with that. When i moved to x1950pro 512mb AGP (HIS btw) i got 8904 in 3d mark 05. So thats about 50% improvement. I can play games thanks to the large memory high aa and af levels. And the core and memory are very fast. It plays games great. Tho even with this card playing rome tw, you still dont get smooth performance with it maxed out and 1600x res or even 1280 res. Which is disapointing. But other games fly like hell. Oblivion was very nice with it as well.

So i would say its worth it. Well it was for me as in reality it only cost me £60 lol as the rest was money given for xmas and money from sale of the 6800.

Tho despite what a lot of people here think. I think the x1950pro needs more power than is believed. My akasa paxpower 400w which i was told by members here and gibbo himself, was meant to be good enough to use the x1950pro. Yet when i used it with the adaptor for 4pin to 6pin. I got crashes, black screens no power ups, corruption kinda. So i saw a lot of people recommending ppl a corsair psu. Now i looked em over and thought yeah sounds good. Even tho there new to the psu market they actually seem to have put a lot of effort into their first psus released and are actually some of the best available due to high quality components and work at 50C as described. Since i was moving to conroe near end of the year i figured i best get the best i can with psu so even tho i was on bakedbeans rations lol kinda i pushed money i didnt really have into the corsair 620w psu. And glad i did as 1. Its got a cool look. 2. Its quiet. 3. It works great.

Now with this new psu with a dedicated 6pin pci-e lead it powered the card and system with ease and the symptoms i described above that i had trouble with went away.

Hi, I've a HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB running on a akasa 400 watt with no issues. Now it is running on a akasa 500 watt, again with no problems, my partner has the 400 watt...
ChrisC

Oh yeah forgot to say I was running with an Enermax 350W PSU, had a 430W Thermaltake but the Enermaz was better by specs. Ran without problems even with the Precott overclocked and 5 HDs, X-Fi PCi, RAID card and Dlink wireless card all connected.. oh and the pump for my water cooler... guess it was pushing it but it ran fine, no crashes in games etc.

I did change the PSU to a Toughpower 650W, because I had access to one at no cost, to see if I could get a bit more OC out of the system though did not get anything. I am pretty sure a non brand 550W PSU is still worse than a 350W Enermax or other good brand so I am not really sure if you need a mega PSU really, just a decent one. Having said that the 4 rail Toughpower is staying in the system :)

Skeeter what CPU did you get 8904 with? (Edit: DOH just read your sig!)

Frugal said:
Firstly, do you think I'll see much of an increase in performance? I have an Athlon64 4000+ with 2Gig of RAM and I mostly play games like Battlefield2142, Rainbow Six:Vegas etc. I've seen the comparisons on sites like Tom's and they suggest about a 50% increase, but I wonder if anyone here has any first hand experience of from 6800gt to X1950 pro?

I know someone who went from 6600GT (ok not 6800GT but close enough) to X1950 and yes they saw a massive well over 60% gain using same CPU + Ram amount as you are. :)

Back
Top Bottom