• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Man of Honour
The 6850K is not a much better chip, I don't know where you got that from. The only tangible advantage is 40 PCIe lanes which isn't really worth it because AMD and Nvidia are scaling back their efforts on multi GPU and have been for a while.

The problem is the other way around really - game developers are increasingly making use of rendering features that break compatibility with the ability to use more than one GPU with exiting GPU architectures - there is only so much AMD or nVidia can do even with the best of intentions - to a degree it can be mitigated by them working closely with developers to try and work around these issues by using different approaches but these days there are less and less alternative ways at going about some advanced features.

Until developers either start making significant use of explicit multi adapter or AMD and nVidia move away from the current monolithic designs to MCM type stuff multi GPU rendering in games will likely continue on a decline.

Associate
OP
You won't
I am not selling it on the mm........ did a search on the auction site last night and saw 4 in the last month over £200....one going for £250 so will see. Any way I bit the bullet and got one of the 6850's because I realised the price was low because it was this week only and had to make the decision. I needed the extra pc lanes to cope with the 2 m.2 drives, the soundcard and the thunderbolt 3 card. Couldn't see the point of having all the features if I couldn't use them all to there full potential.

thanks for all the help and advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
I am not selling it on the mm........ did a search on the auction site last night and saw 4 in the last month over £200....one going for £250 so will see. Any way I bit the bullet and got one of the 6850's because I realised the price was low because it was this week only and had to make the decision. I needed the extra pc lanes to cope with the 2 m.2 drives, the soundcard and the thunderbolt 3 card. Couldn't see the point of having all the features if I couldn't use them all to there full potential.

thanks for all the help and advice much appreciated.

Well that makes a little more sense, make sure your bios is up to date before you swap and get the intel tuning plan, its worth it in case you get a pig of a clocker

Soldato
6800k when combined with an Asus board and the dynamic thermal overclock utility (I forget what it's called) is quite good fun. 4GHz @ stock voltage with a 4.3GHz overclock as long as the temp stays under 65c.

Back
Top Bottom