• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6900xt - Sapphire Toxic Extreme

Associate
Hi all,

I've been out of the pc scene for a few years, looked at getting back in last year but the supply shortage put me off so I grabbed a PS5 - I've now got the money to make a pretty good build that I intend to last a few years. Normally I'd go for the gpu 1 down from top tier so the 6800xt but with the way prices are paying almost double msrp seems crazy.

So the 6900xt toxic extreme edition is currently on offer for £1500, still a lot of cash but I'm thinking that's probably only £200-300 above msrp so I'm not getting ripped off as badly! Still only likely to see 10-15% at best fps in games over the 6800xt but potentially better resale? And more room for tinkering with the OC which intend on doing?

What are people thoughts on it - I'm going to pair it with either a 5600x or 5900x and will be using the samsung g9.

TIA

Associate
OP
I'm lucky enough to have saved quite a lot during covid with not going on holiday so can afford the top end.

The toxic extreme looks like it could have a lot of room in the future for overclocking especially with the binned chips.

How are you finding yours LtMatt?

Associate
OP
Excellent. Fastest GPU I've ever used, does not use much power and runs very cool and quiet.

Temps in the 50/60c range when overclocked balls to the wall (400W+).

With the Toxic Extreme I have the fastest Timespy Extreme graphics score in the world for 6900 XT, 8th fastest Timespy score, 4th fastest Firestrike Extreme score, 9th Firestrike Ultra etc etc.

I recommend the card for sure, with the caveat I mentioned earlier.

Sounds good to me - I'll be pairing it will a lower cpu than you but shouldn't make much difference in gaming

Associate
OP
I recommend pairing it with any of the Ryzen 5000 series CPUs and you'll be grand.

Smart Access Memory will give you another 5-10 performance across the board.

Picture of my Toxic paired with a 5950X.
NR2gGPq.jpg

2FPRmjb.jpg

I'll be getting either he 5600x/5800x/5900x depending on which I can get a good price on .

Your setup looks great - is the 1000w Psu plenty for this sort of build with room for OC the gpu and cpu?

Associate
OP
Decided to send the toxic back - it's a lovely piece of kit but I just couldn't get it set up how I wanted with the 360rad. Also worried as to lifespan with the pump, it's not like an aio on a gpu where I can just get a new one as it's all 1 system.

I'd love a toxic air-cooled but no price or eta as of yet. Likely keep my eye out for a 6900xt in the used market

But thanks for all the input guys

@LtMatt do you have any experience with the powercolor ultimate 6900xt?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - managed to grab a used powercolor ultimate. Plan is to get the new system running stable on air then watercool in the future when I fancy really pushing the card

Associate
OP
Having got the 6900xt red devil ultimate now set up I'm pretty happy with it but have to admit the sapphire is a much better looking card visually and seems better built.

Having to return a cpu aio pump because it's noisey does make me feel like down the line if anything goes wrong with the pump on the sapphire it's going to be a pita to rma it especially if you don't have a spare gpu to keep you going.

If they were both the same price I'd still probably go for the toxic and make it work in my case but I got the red devil for a few hundred cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom