£6k bike advice

Soldato
I am OK with it..........

4c761b3d41b2e09213d6fedd0db80f9b.jpg

Soldato
This reply won't be helpful!!
However, without knowing your personal financial circumstances I have to ask what do you expect a £6k bike to do that a £3k won't. Personally I reckon you could bespoke a really nice build for much less. I'd then consider spending a balance on some coaching or a couple of biking holidays.

It really is marginal gains and snake oil above about £2.5k in my opinion. My latest bike cost about £2.3k to put together but it hasn't made me a tangibly better rider than the s/h £800 Wilier that I bought initially 5 years ago.

Sure its important that you love your bike but £6k ? Gulp

Hell, if I bought my bikes because I thought like you, I wouldn't have bothered, but as has been said, I bought mine because I wanted to and liked them!
I won't break any records, and I could do just as well on a cheaper bike, but same could be said with cars.

Soldato
Tbh the whole money thing. Who cares if he has got it let him enjoy it. I suspect my felt is approaching that value now if I add in the wheels di2 and vector pedals. But only just realised that when I added up the individual parts for insurance the other day.

PS xr4 with di2 and pair of zipp 404s or enve 8.9s..

Last edited:
Soldato
Having ridden quite a few "superbikes" and knowing somebody who owns nearly every one on the market I can fairly safely say there is very very little between most of them. Stiffness, on most is perfectly fine but some are most stiff than others. Unless you're racing at a high level it will not matter. Other things are build based such as brake types, e.g. The vias. The rest of it is cost. Having bought an S3 frame at RRP, I'd probably never bother again. It's just not worth it. If I were building a race machine again it would be di2, and a clearance/second hand frame with known provenience.

The fact you have to remember is supposed bike reviewers nearly always know very little about racing, and riding hard in general, they're just journos who can spin yarns such as I didn't notice I was pedalling uphill until I saw double digit inclines on my Garmin. I mean please, **** off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Had this in last week and the guy didn't even know he had a power meter build into the chainset. £4300 for the frame alone, Dura ace di2, rotor inpower and mavic cosmic carbone wheels(proper ones not the daft ones with the fairing).

Lovely guy and bike but one could argue he doesn't do it justice.

FHMNN1t.jpg

I didn't realise the price of the XR4 having worked on one a few weeks back, lovely lovely bike.

We sell the Felt but I can't see the value in the bike having worked on various models of AR, nice but not the finished article. AR5 or AR3 it can get away with it but not at the AR1 price.

Caporegime
I can definitely get behind the idea of 4-6 decent bikes rather than one super duper bike but... if I really wanted to spend it all on one stupendous bike it would be a top end Bianchi. Yes, you're paying for the name, but at that price you're doing that no matter which brand you go for.

Soldato
That Pina does nothing for me. Pina frames are fugly, that colour scheme is horrible especially them white bars.... Mavic's also. Engaging snob mode here but that Pinarello to me could not possibly scream any louder to me that the owner is "all the gear no idea"....

I read some hand bag designer is buying Pinarello? Maybe they will come up with a pretty looking bike next time round :) The Rapha elite are frothing at the mouth, I can sense it :p

Soldato
SuperSix.

This is the one pro level bike I just can't get on with! I love them cheaper in the range, but I think it must be a case of you need to ride one!

Soldato
That Pina does nothing for me. Pina frames are fugly, that colour scheme is horrible especially them white bars.... Mavic's also. Engaging snob mode here but that Pinarello to me could not possibly scream any louder to me that the owner is "all the gear no idea"....

I read some hand bag designer is buying Pinarello? Maybe they will come up with a pretty looking bike next time round :) The Rapha elite are frothing at the mouth, I can sense it :p

Same really. I'm glad they moved away from the bendy fork but I still don't like it.

The worst part is it says pinarello on the drive side, bottom of the down tube and dogma on the nondrive side. What?

Back
Top Bottom