6th Generation Appreciation Thread (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast)

Associate
I'd just finished school when the Xbox came out, I really liked it, graphics were the best at the time, loading times were great.

Had lots of games for it, the controllers albeit huge were so comfy.

The catalogue of games were great, plenty of first party games

Tbh all the consoles of this era were really good for different reasons.

However what makes this generation of console quite possibly is the games. The developers at the time, they just wanted to produce fun games, they weren't all going for big block buster titles with huge open worlds and overly complicated gameplay like they do now, people weren't offended too easily either which likely helped, and developers weren't being bought out left right and centre by big conglomerates..

I might be looking through rose tinted glasses mind

Soldato
Sorry, I meant Quake but my mind went to UT for some reason. The days lost to those games!

Cool wi check those things out.
I think UT has an online mode, no one really talks about it. I loved it at launch, preferred it to Q3.

Edit: Did a quick Google search, the servers are offline for UT, apparantly, the server software has not been reverse engineered. Quite a few DC games are still online :).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think UT has an online mode, no one really talks about it. I loved it at launch, preferred it to Q3.

Edit: Did a quick Google search, the servers are offline for UT, apparantly, the server software has not been reverse engineered. Quite a few DC games are still online :).

That's impressive considering it's been over 20 years since the DC went out of production :)

Man of Honour
Probably my favourite generation, partly due to the excellent PS2 games that I still remember fondly now and being of that age where I was A: massively interested in gaming and B: actually had loads of free time to play the games! (High School!).
Its probably the generation that I'd most like to revisit now that emulation on mobile and handheld devices is capable of playing almost any PS2 game, really want to revisit some of the gems like MGS2, MGS3, Gran Turismo 4 and Timesplitters 2, maybe even Vice City in its original guise (the "Definitive" trilogy version just isn't as good)
I'm sure a lot of stuff won't have aged well but a great period for gaming.

Closely matched for me by the Xbox 360 but I think that had more to do with that being my first real intro to easy online gaming, countless hours were spent particularly on Call of Duty 2 & 3!

Soldato
I've got Dolphin set up on my Xbox Series S and have been playing like 40 hours of Skies of Arcadia, I still own the game it's just annoying to get it out to play.
I don't like playing with the Xbox controller for N64 and GC games though, PS2 is fine, just those other two feel very unnatural

Soldato
Has anyone bought a cheapo wireless ps2 controller from eBay? My official controller works fine but I actually find the analogue face buttons a bit annoying and have to press them quite hard to get a full press.
No, but you should check out the brook adapters. It will allow use of any bluetooth and other wired controllers (for example - arcade fightsticks).

Associate
Very fond memories of those consoles.

Dreamcast felt like having an arcade at home and the games looked and ran fantastic.

PS2 had the largest library of excellent games.

GameCube had a handful of decent games as well as excellent graphics and Xbox had pc like graphics at the time and Halo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very fond memories of those consoles.

Dreamcast felt like having an arcade at home and the games looked and ran fantastic.

PS2 had the largest library of excellent games.

GameCube had a handful of decent games as well as excellent graphics and Xbox had pc like graphics at the time and Halo.
The new RAD2x Dreamcast cable.is tempting me

Soldato
Fit a Pluto II HDMI mod to my Gamecube the other day, was using a Rad 2X cable but wanted HDMI built into the console, pretty easy to install, removing the old port was the hardest part for me.

Soldato
Fit a Pluto II HDMI mod to my Gamecube the other day, was using a Rad 2X cable but wanted HDMI built into the console, pretty easy to install, removing the old port was the hardest part for me.
I'd be interested in your impressions on this one. It will be miles better than the Rad2x as it would support 480p and overall be a cleaner digital image. I have been toying with the idea of HDMI modding one of my cubes, but haven't seen a difference between the HDMI GCHD adapters and official component to RT4K. I haven't seen any comparisions straight from the board via a mod.

Last edited:
Soldato
For me the Dreamcast was the best console ever made. Yes it lost to PS2 as that had a big advantage to play DVDs but the most fun gaming wise I ever had was on the Dreamcast. I literally put so many hours into games like Jet Set Radio and Power Stone and Shenmue as well being completely floored by the graphics of Soulcalibur. What took it to the next level was my first introduction to mmorpg i.e Phantasy Star Online. The idea that I could play online with other people was just out of this world. Great memories on this console.

Man of Honour
20190930-144310.jpg

The more I think about it, this generation has to be my favourite. May have been a case of being the right age at the right time, I'm not too sure, but each system here brought something to the table.

The Dreamcast gave us arcade perfect experiences in the home, the PS2 just gave us a massive catalogue of such variety, the Xbox really ran with online play and made it work, then the Gamecube gave me personally some of my favourite games of all time.

Which system did you own, what were your favourite games etc?
For me it's which console gave the most memories, and that crown can only be given to the Mega Drive and N64 and nothing else before or after it really.

The countless years spent playing multiplayer Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, Goldeneye 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, laughing at the madness of South Park, hiding away the cart to Conker's Bad Fur day from the parents. And then on MD it was 4 player Streets of Rage, Mega Bomber Man, 2 player Sonic & Tails co-op and the countless time attack challenges with siblings and cousins in other games.

Soldato
Hey all,

For those interested in getting online with DC, GC, PS2 or Xbox I wanted to draw attention to a thread I posted.

Some good fun to be had online with this generation via great community run servers. Happy to help out where I can.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom