£700 Gaming PC no peripherals

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to sell my laptop, for which I would hope to get £600-700 (Asus ROG G750JZ) and build a gaming rig for my wife. We already have peripherals and an Acer Predator 1080p 144hz G Sync monitor for it, so I was looking at something like this, any thoughts/comments?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £684.89
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Anyone know if this motherboard is capable of BCLK overclocking non-k SKUs?

Associate

Total: £691.90

Z170 board, so if you want to upgrade to 6600k or 6700k later you can. You could do with a mechanical HDD

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. Not fussed about paying the premium for a bundle though so long as it is possible to DIY the BCLK OC? I'll do some digging about overclocking the 6400.

Associate
Excellent choice. Things to consider if you're on a tight budget. Make your life easier in future when upgrading.

Decent case with good airflow
Highly rated PSU preferably gold standard+. 450-550w is ample.
Decent motherboard with OC functionality.
CPU.

Might be worth investing in a slightly better case than I recommended, P400 from phantek is an excellent choice although it'll break your budget by about £35

Associate
OP
The case is likely to change once my wife has her input on that! It may also then dictate mobo choice so I'll post up another spec once she's had a look.

At least with another 6600K if I get a better chip than mine I can always swap and she won't know :D

Soldato
Soldato
how in to gaming is your wife?

i know this is boys with their toys and i used to try get the best for my missus, but i have also learnt not spending over the odds or buying things that are more of interest to me than her ;).

the q6600 could probably be overclocked if you havent already and what is the rest of her current computer spec?

Associate
OP
Q6600 was overclocked to 3.2ghz but couldn't hack Overwatch alongside 7850. Rest of the computer is well past it really. The 7850 was fine in my rig so much have been CPU bottleneck.

She games as much as me, BF4, Overwatch, WoW, GTA V. It will be worth it I think :)

Associate
OP
Well we've blown the budget a bit but nevermind! She likes the slim case which will go nicely on the desk. Building inside it will be cramped but fun I hope :)

Total: £932.84

Any thoughts? Not sure if 500gb SSD is a bit much but her current 256gb only has 10gb free with the games she plays so might be worthwhile and I can raid the old one with mine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks like the CPU cooler doesn't fit, plus overclocking on such a small cooler isn't going to go that well, might look at a non K chip and not Z170?

Associate
Hi m8,

Personally I use SSD for a few main games and operating system. 250gb is ample. The rest goes on a mechanical HDD. You won't see any improvements ingame fps wise, just loading times will be a lot faster.

Total: £885.83

Associate
OP
Yeah I think you're right about the SSD, will stick to 250gb, save a bit of cash as the Raven case has blown the budget as well as a decent SFX PSU.

Associate
You could buy a fast 64GB SSD and use it to accelerate a big cheap 5400RPM spinner with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Google is your friend). You get roughly 90% of the performance you'd get with just a large expensive SSD after it's run stuff the once to cache it.

IRST works brilliantly for the OS and games. I don't think she'd notice the difference apart from having oodles of storage space for sensible money.

Associate
OP
No finding any other cases that she likes that are small enough to go on the desk so looks like the build will look like this:

Total: £839.89

+ a Zalman CNPS8900 which should allow a mild OC :)

Associate
OP
You could buy a fast 64GB SSD and use it to accelerate a big cheap 5400RPM spinner with Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Google is your friend). You get roughly 90% of the performance you'd get with just a large expensive SSD after it's run stuff the once to cache it.

IRST works brilliantly for the OS and games. I don't think she'd notice the difference apart from having oodles of storage space for sensible money.

Interesting I'll look in to that :)

Back
Top Bottom