£700 guitar amp advice.

Associate
Hi there!
I'm looking for some advice on a ~£700 guitar valve amp.
I play a '57 RI Stratocaster, and I want classic rock/blues tones.
Big beefy gains and bright crystal like cleans :)

Any advice?
I was looking at getting the Orange Tiny Terror, with a 212 celestion cab.
But it comes to a bit over my budget, so maybe a combo of some sort would be better. Not bothered about brand as long as I can get some roaring hendrixy tones.

Soldato
No, but I've played one and it's probably my favourite Marshall. The only amps I've owned in this price range is Mesa Boogie's (Mark III and Mark IV), but I don't think they're what you're after.

Associate
OP
Some good suggestions that have given me some ideas, but I'm looking for something a little more vintage style. No 20 million knobs and 8 channels. Clean and OD is all I need.
I like the idea of a JCM800 2x12 combo. I looked at those TSL's and they led me in the JCM direction.

Soldato

This, a thousand times this.

Fantastic tone, responds well to input so you can get a huge range of tones just from altering dynamics and using your controls on the guitar.

Be different, give the Cornford a try and if you don't like it you will have absolutely no bother selling it on as they're extremely desirable and well made amps.

Take a listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeeVIGm_08o ignore the absolute douche bag interviewer.

Last edited:
Soldato
How about a Peavey Classic comes in a few forms 30 watt and 50 watt tube so plenty loud enough, brilliant amp for classic rock and blues etc. Might not have quite enough gain but then you can always put a nice OD pedal in front.

Soldato
This, a thousand times this.

Fantastic tone, responds well to input so you can get a huge range of tones just from altering dynamics and using your controls on the guitar.

Be different, give the Cornford a try and if you don't like it you will have absolutely no bother selling it on as they're extremely desirable and well made amps.

Take a listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeeVIGm_08o ignore the absolute douche bag interviewer.

I would second this. I don't have the money for such extravagances, but I went to a gig by Hot Leg and they used Cornford amps and Les Paul's. If ever there were a match made in heaven it is this. What an amazing sound.

Soldato
Some good suggestions that have given me some ideas, but I'm looking for something a little more vintage style. No 20 million knobs and 8 channels. Clean and OD is all I need.
I like the idea of a JCM800 2x12 combo. I looked at those TSL's and they led me in the JCM direction.

The Cornford is what you want then. Single channel with a gain and volume, really easy to use amp. Responds well to your guitar's volume control which you'll need to keep it clean at high volumes and takes pedals well in case you want more gain. Classic/vintage rock and blues is pretty much what it's made for. I don't think you'll get a better tone for the price.

More clips courtesy of Guthrie Govan again:

http://forum.racksrock.com/viewtopic.php?t=848&sid=03ffe53cea0fa1b7cfa0c8ded430d364

Soldato
Ah nice, now those are much better examples than my link! The Roadhouse is pretty much the only amp I'd consider selling my Axe-FX for, and it's the complete opposite of what I have at the moment, pure simplicity and bags of tone.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am liking the Roadhouse after those new clips.
The Guthrie Govan one didn't really do it much justice.
Now I just gotta wait for paypal to start working then sell my other strat and midi keyboard.

Soldato
After reading what you've written, just 'a Cornford amp' sounds like what you want. :D

The Roadhouse is an awesome amp, but you should be aware of level of control you have over your sound. I love it because it's simple, simple, simple and like you've said, if you just want to plug in and get an instantly great tone, Cornford is the brand for you. Obviously go and try one out, but I've never met anybody that's played a Cornford that doesn't really really really like them.

Back
Top Bottom