£7000 Hatchback ?

Soldato
My current car is a N Reg ('95) VW Polo 1.3, it's my first car and I've owned it for 5 years now (as long as I've been driving).

I've recently been given a promotion at work so I'm looking to purchase a second hand hatchback for £7000 with a loan I've recently been approved from the bank which I'll repay over 2 years.

I have my eye on a VW Polo 1.4 TDI SE '07 with 30,000 miles.

Can anyone advise if this is a good deal?

I'll mainly be using it to commute to work but I'm also after something I'll enjoy driving which is also reliable and will last without depreciating in value too much.

Thanks

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
What are you planning on using the car for, what milage, etc?

7k on a 1.4 polo would make me weep, particularly if it's for commuting. An 07ish Focus Zetec is in the budget there, for example.
07 mondeo if it's for real commuting, too.

Soldato
OP
Well, do you want something thats quick? or luxurious? or both?

I mean the Polo will be fine at just being a car.

How many miles a year do you do?

I do about 12000 miles a year.

It's not just for commuting as my work place is only 10 miles away. It will also be for social.

I'm looking at the diesel as I understand it has more torque and it's cheaper on tax and fuel.

Is insurance an issue? have you got 5yrs no claims?

Insurance is partly an issue. I only have 2 years no claims as I was a named driver prior to taking out my own insurance.

Soldato
I bought a '58 Grande Punto Sporting 1.4 T-Jet Turbo which is great fun to drive, but wouldn't be so good with commuting because of the fuel economy. You can get them for less though, they made them from '07 onwards.

Others will probably tell you to get a Focus/Golf which aren't bad shouts, especially for commuting.

EDIT: Don't get a diesel, you don't do enough mileage to benefit from one. Get a petrol and have some fun.

Soldato
EDIT: Don't get a diesel, you don't do enough mileage to benefit from one. Get a petrol and have some fun.

Sorry to hijack but just one question :)

I currently do about 7-8000 miles a year (mostly commuting) and have a 2000 plate BMW 323i so its quite petrol hungry, Im thinking of selling it and getting a Mondeo 2l TDCi or equivalent for the better MPG, tax, insurance etc, but now reading your post I have to ask why do you say 12k miles a year isnt enough to warrant a diesel over a petrol?

Soldato
OP
Will this do?

Or this?

Throw us a bone what do you want from a car?

I after a small but nippy car.

It doesnt have to be the quickest but I don't want to feel like I've got no power.

Neither of those are what I'm after as they're both extremes.

Edit: I'm after something that feels fun to drive but is still quite efficient and cost effective, if that's possible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry to hijack but just one question :)

I currently do about 7-8000 miles a year (mostly commuting) and have a 2000 plate BMW 323i so its quite petrol hungry, Im thinking of selling it and getting a Mondeo 2l TDCi or equivalent for the better MPG, tax, insurance etc, but now reading your post I have to ask why do you say 12k miles a year isnt enough to warrant a diesel over a petrol?

Well, the savings won't be a huge amount especially if you only do 7-8k a year. If you were doing 20,000+ and slogging it out at a constant 70mph on motorways all the time then a frugal diesel would probably net you a significant saving

Caporegime
Everything I hate about spec me threads, all rolled into one thread.

I don't think the op wants an all out performance car, especially when they are fretting over a bit of road tax and a 182 isn't the answer.

Back
Top Bottom