720p or 1080p?

Soldato
A lot of it comes down the actual quality of the set. There are a lot of crap sets claiming the whole 1080p thing as some amazing grace, yet they cant produce a picture to match a good quality 720p set

Soldato
A lot of it comes down the actual quality of the set. There are a lot of crap sets claiming the whole 1080p thing as some amazing grace, yet they cant produce a picture to match a good quality 720p set

This is exactly what I've been trying to get over to a lot of people; resolution is just one part of what it takes to produce a decent image. You coulc have 1440 lines, but if you've got crap processing and poor response times, the picture is just going to be terrible.

Soldato
OP
My brother just went into a shop on the way back from work and compared some TV's. This morning he was an LCD-fanboy, and said we needed 1080p.

He is now a plasma-fanboy, and says we don't need 1080p. :D:D

He said the Panasonic plasma's looked much better, especially the black levels, compared to any other LCD in the shop -- and that the difference between 1080p and 720p was barely noticable on a 42" screen, unless he stood literally within 2 feet of the screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
i have a 37" samsung BDX which runs 720p/1080i and i sit around 3 metres from it (god knows how many feet that is) and i have to say the picture looks great. Picked it up for £500 delivered so im happy with it.

Picture looks stunning to me and thats all that matters.

Dont get hung up on the 720p/1080p thing, there are a lot of other factors to take into account also which will also affect the quality. Its not as simple as "is it 720p or 1080p". As other have said before me, some 720p TV's look better than 1080p's....

Last edited:
Permabanned
He said the Panasonic plasma's looked much better, especially the black levels, compared to any other LCD in the shop -- and that the difference between 1080p and 720p was barely noticable on a 42" screen, unless he stood literally within 2 feet of the screen.

Was he actually looking at 1080P content and comparing against 720P content though?

In one of the main shops where I live they just have Freeview or a DVD playing, unless they had a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movie playing on the 720P TV and the same film on a 1080P set it's hardly a fair comparison.

In the local shop they have some 1080P sets but because they are all playing Freeview obviously you won't tell the difference.

Soldato
When I bought my TV I went to my local indy retailer with my wife and watched screens by Samsung, Lowe, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Hitachi, B&O and Sharp. We watched the same freeview, DVD, Bluray, HDDVD and 1080p files though each of them.

Having done my research, read all the websites and reviews I knew that I wanted the Sony 40X3500 1080p LCD, but since it was £2000 I wanted my wife to make her own decision and see that this was obviously the superior panel.

After an hour playing with the settings an a number of the screens we thought were contenders it was clear we were wasting our time, one of the 720p plasmas had quite clearly wiped the floor with everything.

If you see a TV and you think it gives a better picture than all the others at the viewing distance you'll use it at then that's the TV for you.

Back
Top Bottom