750w enough for 1080ti?

Soldato
Looking at a Aerocool 700w 80+ psu (<- clicky) to go with my new 1080ti & 3570K, planning on clocking them both later. (EDIT - not getting that anymore, still looking!)

Is it enough? If not, point me a "financially viable" alternative ;)

I'd love to splash out a 1000w unit and never have the fan spin or have the option to sli the card later (or maybe add a second for mining, hmm tempting), but we've had another kid so this could be my last upgrade, for ever, so i want to get it right.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
if you can afford 1080ti i would go with something better. Seasonic > Super flower > EVGA.....
Its not all about max watts, its the quality. I wouldnt even think about using £50 psu to run £700+ graphic card : )

Soldato
Looking at a Aerocool 700w 80+ psu (<- clicky) to go with my new 1080ti & 3570K, planning on clocking them both later.

Is it enough? If not, point me a "financially viable" alternative ;)

I'd love to splash out a 1000w unit and never have the fan spin or have the option to sli the card later (or maybe add a second for mining, hmm tempting), but we've had another kid so this could be my last upgrade, for ever, so i want to get it right.

Thanks.

A good 550W unit would be enough for a single 1080 ti. I would avoid Aerocool as most of their units are pretty poor. The Corsair CX (Grey label) would be the cheapest unit I would go with. If you don't mind spending an extra £20 then you can get a SuperFlower Leadex 550W which is on offer.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £149.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

There are also other units such as the Bitfenix Whisper, Seasonic Focus Gold, Corsair TXM, SuperFlower Golden Green/Platinum King and XFX XTR which are all good choices.

Man of Honour
If you want to get it right then don't cheap out on the psu. That's a HEC built unit so will have cheap internals and questionable build quality. You don't go spending £680+ on a gpu and then buy a cheap psu to power everything. The psu is not the place to save money. Buy a decent one and it will last you a long time and through several upgrades.

I would have recommended a 550w psu but looking at reviews the 1080ti on it's own can pull up to 339w (depending on the card you buy) and that's without overclocking it so I would be looking at a 600-650w unit.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

These are all fully modular, gold rated psu's.

The Bitfenix Whisper M 650w is a CWT built unit with quad 12v rails and the full 650w is available across them. Each rail delivers power to a dedicated component group so, 12v1 is motherboard and peripherals, 12v2 is CPU, 12v3 is GPU 1, 12v4 is GPU 2. All Bitfenix Whisper M series psu's have a 7 year warranty. I included the 750w version as it's such good value for money. The one downside to this series is that the 24 pin cable has a shroud over it which you can see in the pictures from this review. If you don't have a window on your case it's not a issue.

The XFX XTR 650w is a Seasonic built unit with a single 12v rail of 648w. It has a 5 year warranty and you can read a review here.

The EVGA Supernova G2 is a Superflower built unit and is based on thier own Leadex Gold series but with no annying led's, a different fan and a few internal tweaks specified by EVGA. It has a single 12v rail of the full 650w and has a 7 year warranty. Review here.

The Superflower Leadex II is the latest version of their Leadex Gold series and finally has a switch to turn those awful led's off. It has a single 12v rail of 649w and has a 7 year warranty. There are no reviews yet as it's too new but you can take for granted that they have taken a already cracking psu and made it even better. The New EVGA G3's are based on the Superflower Leadex II as well.

This one is semi modular but still gold rated.

The latest Corsair TX650M is a Great Wall built unit with a single 12v rail of 612w and a 7 year warranty. It has the weakest 12v rail of all the psu's I am recommending but that doesn't make it a bad unit. In fact the new TX M series have been getting very good reviews and are very good value for money. There are no reviews of the 650w version yet but there is one here for the 750w version.

The new Seasonic Focus Plus 650w should be on this list as it's a excellent unit but is out of stock on OCUK. These are very compact units at only 140mm long and are competitively priced which is a pleasant change from Seasonic. They have a single 12v rail of 648w and have a 10 year warranty. You can read a review here.

One more thing to take into account is that the "This week only" deals update this afternoon and there have been very little in the way of psu deals for the last couple of weeks so it may be worth hanging on until the deals update this afternoon to see if any are on offer.

Soldato
OP
Ordered a TX650M, thanks for all the information and link to JG. Very much appreciated, i'm often a flippant tit when asking psu type questions but i've just bought the most expensive piece of computer hardware i've ever owned and i need to pay attention to people who know more than me!

Soldato
OP
The TX650M arrived and omfg it is awesome, there is NO voltage drop regardless of load. Fully loaded with aida64 & furmark and the voltages don't budge, never had this before.

Very happy chap! :)

Soldato
750W Should be good enough. I have my own thread trying to find out IF 750W is enough for 1080Ti in SLI(!) (2x FTW3) hehehe

you are going to need 1000w plus for that setup as if what was said above with a potential of 339w for certain models is true then in essence 750w unit would just be powering them and nothing else, they draw a minimum of 250w in general from the descriptions though having a look at the one you are thinking of, it states 300w consumption with the need for a 600w psu and thats a single card.

Back
Top Bottom