7600k Running Hot With High End Custom Loop?

Associate
Hey, I have recently built a custom loop and am just wondering if my temps seem correct.

Hardware is:

Thermaltake Core P5 Case
Intel Core i5 7600k
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Copper
Black Ice 280 GTX
Phantek 140mm SP Fans x2
XSPC Photon 270
XSPC X4 Pump
7/16 tubing

The 7600k is at the following clocks:
5.2GHz / 4.8GHz AVX @ 1.4v
Ambient temperature was 20 degrees

Load under prime 95 non avx: 85 degrees max temp

Load under gaming: Around 75 degrees

This seems hot for my liking, is this about right for the voltage being used? Or is something wrong somewhere.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Is your card in the loop also or purely CPU? If it's CPU then those temps are hot for my liking.
Just my cpu in the loop

Exactly my thinking :)

I'd also look into de-lidding the CPU & if possible add another or increase the radiator size, should be a lot cooler :cool:
Just my Cpu in the loop.

I know delidding will make it cooler but i tbought a loop like this would keep it cooler than it is?

Associate
The CPU can still ramp up to those temps when not delidded because the IHS can't shed the heat quickly enough with toothpaste applied compared with direct contact with a waterblock or liquid metal TIM.

Associate
OP
What kind of water temps do you get and / or how quickly does it take for the CPU to reach high temps?
5.2GHz @ 1.4v
Ambient temperature 20 degrees

Load under prime 95 non avx: 85 degrees max temp
Load under gaming: Around 75 degrees

The temp shoots from 30 degrees -> 75 degrees extremely fast. Like instantly under load.

Edit: I do not have a water temp sensor so not sure on water temps

Man of Honour
Did you take the protective cover off the bottom of the CPU block? Easy mistake to make :)

The CPU block fitted correctly? Any problems when installing it? If you do take it off check the T.I.M spread pattern to see if you're getting full contact with the CPU?

Associate
Those temps running at stock suggest that the block is mounted correctly and they look ok for prime 95 non delidded. I'm not surprised they shoot up massively when you overclock and put more volts through it. It's all about the delid (or buying AMD). Some people have said that the latest Intel CPUs aren't "designed" to be used with Prime95, but I dismiss that as marketing nonsense because if software can cause the CPU to overheat then there's an inherent flaw in the design. And that is the toothpaste, sorry to say.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you take the protective cover off the bottom of the CPU block? Easy mistake to make :)
The CPU block fitted correctly? Any problems when installing it? If you do take it off check the T.I.M spread pattern to see if you're getting full contact with the CPU?

Yeah, the protective cover is off, I will have to take the PC apart at some point and see what the TIM spread looks like. Should be fine though as I used a pea sized amount.

Those temps running at stock suggest that the block is mounted correctly and they look ok for prime 95 non delidded. I'm not surprised they shoot up massively when you overclock and put more volts through it. It's all about the delid (or buying AMD). Some people have said that the latest Intel CPUs aren't "designed" to be used with Prime95, but I dismiss that as marketing nonsense because if software can cause the CPU to overheat then there's an inherent flaw in the design. And that is the toothpaste, sorry to say.

Ahh shoot, well that sucks, I expected a loop like this to really bring the temps down even more. A stock chip loading at 58 degrees on a high end loop sucks lol.

In terms of de-lidding what are my options. Anyone out there who does it for a fee rather than me buying all the gear just to do it once?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom