• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k or Ryzen 1700 with a GTX 1080TI?

Soldato
The best way is to buy your new card first and see how your games run - if everything seems to do fine,I would stick with what you have. Plus Ryzen will mature with regards to the platform and clockspeeds as time progresses and there is Ryzen 2 next year. The only thing is OFC DDR4 prices,but that is tempered by the fact that RAM compatibility should also improve as time progresses.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Almost finished upgrading my full system. I've got a GTX 1080ti on order but I'm completely stumped with the processor. Most of my usage is gaming, which leans me towards the 7700k, but I also like to minimise and browse the internet whilst maps load, so that leans me towards the 1700.

With a card like a 1080ti, would the processor (either of these) really matter that much?

R7 1700 of course, get a good board for overclocking and good cooling. And you are set for years to come.
4c/8t CPUs are close to EOL. And those who advised above for Intel and called rest as AMD fanboys, do forget :
a) Intel has 8c/16t CPU but at 3 times the price of the 1700 for the same performance
b) Going to be the same people who will claim that 4c/8t is dead and ancient, when 6c/12t coffee lake comes out later this year.

Stick with what you have and wait and see what coffelake is like (or if you want the best and have money to burn skylake-x).

You lose nothing waiting and a bit more time for ryzen to have its various bugs ironed out wouldn't be time wasted.

Then you can decide :) I wouldn't move to another quad core CPU.

Personally I would wait till next year and ryzen 2 or Intel >where ever they are in their road map<

Back
Top Bottom