• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800X3D 65c idle temps

Soldato
My cousin is having some issues with his new build with high idle temps. Just sat in windows doing nothing it’s mid 60s.

I’ve been out of the game for a while but went over and had a look at build all seems fine. Repasted cpu with mx4, checked the mount and all looked fine. Even original paste had a nice spread so not a contact issue.

7800x3d
Nzxt kraken 360 aio
X670E MSI board tomahawk

Checked fans and pump plumbed into the correct header. In the software set everything to performance so pump at 100% because of curve and temp.

Weird thing is under load with R23 or Prime temps look fine at low 70s. In prime all core boosted to 4.4ghz

R23 boosted to around 4.8ghz (still lower than the 5ghz I should get) but again temps low 70s

Last edited:
Associate
On my 7700x the idle temps are between 45 & 50 degrees on a noctua d-15 twin tower cooler, if I run fans at 100% can get the idle temps down to 35 ISH degrees.

The x3d has similar power consumption so I would expect the same result.

Something does seem off, could be the IHS isn't contacting the chip sufficiently.

Soldato
OP
its got a good spread and load temps look fine

he said hes uninstalled some programs including nzxt monitoring stuff and undervolted a little (-20) and seems better.

Soldato
High temps are normal compared to say current Intel or previous AMD gen. That's basically because it runs hotter internally by design. You probably know this.

Your average idle temps are undesirable so I would start with the idle power consumption. looking at my 7800X3D now in Win11 the idle power consumption is ~27W (23W if I close all taskbar apps). High compared to all my previous CPUs but again is typical.

While I'm typing the idle temps have now dropped to a steady 37C using a 280mm AIO in a NRP200 MAX ITX case. As soon as I start opening windows, YouTube or explorer it starts to spike between 40 - 50C.

I've also undervolted my 7800X3D and limited the Thermal Package Temp to 75C in BIOS. This means it won't go much above that under load and now hits 4900-5000Hz (80W) a lot of the time playing games etc.

That idle power consumption is about the only thing I don't like about the X3D CPUs.

Last edited:
Associate
Issue being fans and pump are pretty much running at 100% all the time so is a bit noisy not something you want to run with 24/7
Hi idle temperatures would be a program running in the back ground,you just have to check which one.Also set fan curve in BIOS but hey 70°C in prime ,there is nothing wrong with CPU.

I had a look at a AMD CPU a 7700X @ 5700Mhz PC Gaming temperatures in the 30°C-40°C ,so they can run on low temperatures even when PC Gaming

Soldato
OP
Is the case well ventilated. Do you have roof fans extracting hot air.

Yea, O11 dynamic style case by nzxt. So 3 intake fans at bottom, 3 intake fans at side. And then 3 exhaust on roof rad, and rear exhaust fan.

This was with both side panel off and on.

It is odd behaviour, would just fluctuate from 40c all the way to 60+ up and down with load showing as negligible. Fans ramping up and down.

The only program of note in task manager taking resources was the Microsoft one thing, but that was only for about 15s on boot up.

Last edited:
Soldato
My kraken elite has my 7800x3d at anywhere from mid 30s to mid 40s idle but you need to remember how Ryzen works and how it literally goes full steam ahead if you move the mouse to quick. It'll just to 71 when I open cod but sit at 60 for the next few hours of gaming.
-30 all core will help wind it in a bit

Back
Top Bottom