7800X3D + RAM Upgrade now, or wait till 8000 series?

Soldato
Hey all!

Thinking of upgrading my 7600 to a 7800X3D or 7950X3D.

A few questions:

1. Is the jump to the 7950X3D worth it, bang for buck wise? I'm pairing it with a Strix 4090, and i'm lucky enough that the extra cost isn't too much of an issue.
2. Should I hold off until the 8000 series? Ideally would need to do the upgrade before the end of my financial year, so wondering if AMD will pull something like they did with 7000 and release drastically better chips three months after the initial release (7660X/7600)

Cheers :)

Associate
What are your usual workloads so someone can answer #1 and when is the end of your financial year (31st Dec based on the W3W you have set)

Soldato
Hey all!

Thinking of upgrading my 7600 to a 7800X3D or 7950X3D.

A few questions:

1. Is the jump to the 7950X3D worth it, bang for buck wise? I'm pairing it with a Strix 4090, and i'm lucky enough that the extra cost isn't too much of an issue.
2. Should I hold off until the 8000 series? Ideally would need to do the upgrade before the end of my financial year, so wondering if AMD will pull something like they did with 7000 and release drastically better chips three months after the initial release (7660X/7600)

Cheers :)

For multithreaded workloads the 7950X3D is much faster. For most games the 7950X3D it’s only slightly faster and outside of those that run on multithreaded engines probably not worth the extra money.

Man of Honour
Gaming mainly tbh!
The simple answer is: it depends. The complicated answer is: it depends a lot.

To add more context: some games freaking love the cache of the X3D and even @ 4K you can get some meaningful improvements in those games (though meaningful is subjective), while there are other games that are heavily GPU limited and really don't care. That said, the FPS that shows up in benchmarks is not always that informative about your overall gameplay experience and most users of the X3D CPUs will say that their experience improved beyond just the raw FPS numbers.

Associate
if mainly gaming would only consider the 7800x3d, you're really not seeing any more benefit spending extra on the 7950x3d

the vid you want to watch below if you have a 4090.

9000 series cpu's...so you know they wont release the x3d cpu's straight off the bat, they'll want to sell the non x3d stuff first, so you're probably looking at the 9600x or 9700x which single core performance improvements of up to 20% (from the yt rumours). i'm trying to remember now, didn't the 7600x launch closer to £300 at launch...know the 7800x3d was £450, as yours truly bought one...so if a 7600x matched the 5800x3d, if it's similar uplift then the 9600x will match the 7800x3d, you might get similar performance..it's what price they'll bring it in at? and do you want to wait
what goes through my head anyway
if you not too concerned by costs but still don't want to feel regret, and vid above has games that you play that offer meaningful improvement, seen a few 7800x3d's 2nd hand around the £300 mark. get one of those..if the 9000 come in faster, sure you will still be able to sell it for £250 no problem

Soldato
Yeah, it’s hard to look past the 7800X3D. Its a master class in chip building. I’d personally go for 62-6400 memory with tight timings if it’s not too much more money and you don’t mind doing a little manual adjusting.

Associate
7800X3D is looking like the front runner at the moment I think!

Will give it a month or so and see of the rumour mill spins up but if not will press the button!

Am I right in thinking 6000Mhz CAS 30 is still the sweet spot RAM wise?
it's what I've got. x3d doesn't need the tighter timings so much, but if you ever switch back to 9000 seies non x3d, then it'll help, and not that much difference in price, so why not get the better stuff

Soldato
OP
Will probably be grabbing a new motherboard as well to finalise my "dream" white build :D

Gigabyte AMD Ryzen B650 AORUS ELITE AX ICE AM5 DDR5 ATX Motherboard​

or​

ASUS AMD Ryzen ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI AM5 PCIe 5.0 ATX Motherboard​

I don't plan on getting a new GPU for a while, hoping my Strix 4090 will carry me through the next 4-5 years, and by then i'll probably be looking at a new CPU anyway. So don't think the PCE-E 5.0 is really necessary?

Any reason to go for the Asus over the Gigabyte? The gigabyte seems to have an actual white PCB which is very appealing :o

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Any reason to go for the Asus over the Gigabyte?
From a quick look: it has an extra M.2 slot, probably a better audio codec (Gigabyte don't specify), more audio jacks and rear spdif. It does have Intel i225v 2.5 Gb LAN though, which is arguably a negative.

Soldato
From a quick look: it has an extra M.2 slot, probably a better audio codec (Gigabyte don't specify), more audio jacks and rear spdif. It does have Intel i225v 2.5 Gb LAN though, which is arguably a negative.
What NIC would be good to look out for on motherboards and why would this current one be a negative? I am looking at motherboards for AMD\Intel and if its got issues would rather avoid it if thats the case

Man of Honour
why would this current one be a negative?
Google: "i225v issues", there are dozens and dozens of threads. Intel are supposed to have released new hardware and firmware to fix the problem, but it is still being reported. Though, there are also users who have no problems, maybe because they're running at 1 Gb instead of 2.5 Gb.

What NIC would be good to look out for on motherboards
I haven't done any research on that, I'm just aware of the i225v being problematic.

Soldato
Google: "i225v issues", there are dozens and dozens of threads. Intel are supposed to have released new hardware and firmware to fix the problem, but it is still being reported. Though, there are also users who have no problems, maybe because they're running at 1 Gb instead of 2.5 Gb.

I haven't done any research on that, I'm just aware of the i225v being problematic.
Cheers, ill keep that in mind when looking.

Soldato
OP

Ah I was leaning towards the Gigabyte for the aesthetic anyway so that makes the decision easier!

Back
Top Bottom