• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800x3d

Hi All,

I'm trying to fight the upgrade urge, Current have a x570 board with a 5900x I got on release and 3080. I'm planning on keeping the 3080 until the new 5000 Nvidia series is announced.

My thought process is to upgrade now to a 7800x3d with an x670e board (PCI Gen 5 for GPU and M.2)and 32gb 30cl 6000 mhz memory and then get the gpu later, not sure if this is a good idea or just the upgrade urge kicking in. Has anyone gone down the same path and seen any improvement in gaming performance?

Resolution is currently 1440p Ultra wide.
I was going to wait for the new CPUs & motherboards next month,but bit the bullet last week & bought similar spec to what you were thinking,bought a Asus B650E-E 7800x3d & Gskill trident G5 6000 cl30. I also have a launch 3080FE & couldn't be happier. It's given my gfx card a fair boost,so will tide me over until the 5 series card comes out

Rob

I was going to wait for the new CPUs & motherboards next month,but bit the bullet last week & bought similar spec to what you were thinking,bought a Asus B650E-E 7800x3d & Gskill trident G5 6000 cl30. I also have a launch 3080FE & couldn't be happier. It's given my gfx card a fair boost,so will tide me over until the 5 series card comes out

Rob

What did you upgrade from? And what games have you seen improvements in?

I upgraded from a 5900X and have seen next to no improvements in the games I play as I'm GPU limited, also on a 3080.

What did you upgrade from? And what games have you seen improvements in?

I upgraded from a 5900X and have seen next to no improvements in the games I play as I'm GPU limited, also on a 3080.

Just an idea - have you installed new chipset drivers / fresh windows install?

I’ve heard it can be hard to get the benefits of the X3D chips without a fresh windows install but perhaps that’s only in certain circumstances.

Edit: oh and bios update too.

Last edited:
Just an idea - have you installed new chipset drivers / fresh windows install?

I’ve heard it can be hard to get the benefits of the X3D chips without a fresh windows install but perhaps that’s only in certain circumstances.

Edit: oh and bios update too.
I think the clean install only effects the processors that have 2 x CCDs as without the services etc it does not switch between the 2 CCDs for gaming

Back
Top Bottom