• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

780ti still cut the mustard?

Man of Honour
so older drivers would be better ?

Nah - some games will force you to use newer ones anyhow.

Overall for older DX9, etc. though I found 358.59 to be the most recent that gave overall best performance and stability - in some games I was having to force K-Boost to be stable at anything over reference clocks in every other newer version - though I've not tried 372.70 on the 780.

Goodness me 3GB ram was only good enough for 720p a few days ago ;)

Of course those that have used a card with 3GB will know 1440p ultra @ 60fps certainly isn't out of the question. I would snap it up at that price. 780ti's will overclock very well. I used to get 15-20% more out of mine so that's always worth bearing in mind when looking at benchmarks.

Yes and no - generally 3GB held up well but there were some situations I was pushing it. That said in some newer games now at 1440p especially the next gen titles you probably won't have the performance for settings that push past 3GB VRAM utilisation anyhow.

Last edited:
Soldato
mine (the SC version with an arctic extreme cooler fitted) runs The Division at 50-60fps 2560x1080 on med-high settings if that helps you.

Soldato
so older drivers would be better ?

In my experience, yes.

I'm running a modest yet essential OC if I want to run at a constant 60fps in a relatively heavily modded FO4 (currently my favourite game).

Anything greater than 347.88 and the OC will fail...every single game, everytime.

Have Nvidia gimped Keplar? Intentionally or otherwise, absolutely IMO.

Associate
Mine wasn't, not even for 1920x1200, it's only "reasonable" now, but not if you want higher settings. It is pretty good for £90 though, but don't expect miracles :p

Soldato
780ti is still a fantastic card for 1080p & 1200p at high/ultra settings, 1440p on med/high.

People seem to look at VRAM used and forget about cached stuff that is not being used but filling the VRAM because it helps with loading, but if you have a fast SSD or even a decently fast 7200rpm drive all is well.

This forum sometimes gives out really bad advice when it comes to hardware, the minute a new graphics card is out the last greatest becomes terrible like it magically lost 50% performance overnight. 780ti is a fantastic card for 1080p and will be for a good few more years, it is very close to a 980 and in some games even beats a 980, so that says it all really. Enjoy the card and was a great buy for £90. Also use the latest drivers, Nvidia hasn't gimped the drivers for Kepler as some state there has been many tests to prove that, I was also in the camp that they were gimping drivers for kepler but realised from my own use they were not and any performance drops were down to new updates to games or new features added to make the drivers work better or improve visuals, so of course there is some minor performance drops then, but overall the performance from release drivers to latest there is a performance and visual boost.

Permabanned
That said in some newer games now at 1440p especially the next gen titles you probably won't have the performance for settings that push past 3GB VRAM utilisation anyhow.

This is no longer factual, Thanks to the low to moderate gpu grunt in the new gen of consoles the trend is to make games prettier for as little a performance hit as possible and they do this by using textures that use up lots of memory which the consoles have plenty of so it's easy to push your memory usage beyond what you have before your grunt runs out, It's a simple problem to solve though, Lowering the texture settings by one usually drops memory usage by quite a lot while only making a small difference to what you see on screen.

Permabanned
People seem to look at VRAM used and forget about cached stuff that is not being used but filling the VRAM because it helps with loading, but if you have a fast SSD or even a decently fast 7200rpm drive all is well.
It doesn't matter what it's using the ram for, If it does it and it causes problems because there's not enough ram it is a problem.

it is very close to a 980 and in some games even beats a 980, so that says it all really.
I can't remember seeing it beat the 980, The 970 sure but what games had it ahead of the 980?

It's a decent enough card for 1080p gaming and will do fine at 1440 with plenty of settings tweaks but please let's keep it real. He'll be buying a card that is two gens old and presumably comparable to a 470 based on info provided in another thread at the moment that shows the 470 ahead of the original Titan.
You get what you pay for and at £90 it is a good deal just don't expect miracles, There's no reason not to use the latest drivers although I don't think they actively work on improving for Kepler anymore.

Soldato
780 Ti is still a damn good card for 1080 and even 1440P if you turn down some settings although you will be VRAM limited at certain points.

I remember paying £649.99 for my Asus 780 Ti Matrix Platinum only 2 years ago :p

Soldato
I ran 780ti SLI for a few years. Great cards. A handful of games did have VRAM issues though, at 1440p, but it really was very few. As others have said, at only 1080p should still be good for most games.
Running 980ti SLI now. I seem to have a thing for Ti and SLI, hope the 1080ti isn't great so I'm not tempted.

Back
Top Bottom