• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900GT not performing

Soldato
I recently upgraded my computer by swapping my X850XT PE for a 7900Gt and upgrading my ram from 1gb to 2gb. I've noticed the performance in games and 3DMark is not up to scratch at all really? With all the nVidia demos (nalu, dawn, dusk) I get 16fps-20fps, in GTA san andreas I get 20fps-30FPS and I've just run 3DMark2005 and got 7392 which seems very low to me? I used to get 6666 (lol) with my X850XT PE. I'm using the latest drivers (91.47) and using the correct profiles (3DMark2005 profile and everything on 'performance') Can anyone think of what this could be? :(

edit: the rest of my system would be useful :p :
Tagan 480WATT PSU
ECS KN1 Extreme mobo
AMD 3800+ (Stock 2.4ghz, Venice, skt939)
Mushkin 2GB ram (Dual Channel, cas2)
Leadtek 7900GT (@stock)
Audigy 2ZS

Last edited:
Soldato
wow something is definitely wrong.

I haven't run 3dmark05 but my 3dmark06 score is in my sig...I would give a rough estimate of my system getting about 10k+ at least in 05...

and my system is somewhat similar...a bit more powerful but not a crazy amount.

And the Nalu gets 60+fps at all times for me...same as the Luna.

Soldato
OP
gurusan said:
wow something is definitely wrong.

I haven't run 3dmark05 but my 3dmark06 score is in my sig...I would give a rough estimate of my system getting about 10k+ at least in 05...

and my system is somewhat similar...a bit more powerful but not a crazy amount.

And the Nalu gets 60+fps at all times for me...same as the Luna.

Somethings wrong then :p I don't want to have to format :(

Xez

Xez

Associate
Make sure you've removed every trace of the ati drivers although you may need to format in the end to get it working properly :p my 7800GT at stock got more than that so theres deffinatly something wrong there!

Xez

Xez

Associate
Surely it cant though.... my 7800GT at stock got slightly more than what his 7900GT has. It should be getting around 8000 stock :confused:

Soldato
OP
Reality|Bites said:
Are you new to Nvidia? Did you go into the driver control panel and tweak everything for best performance?

Everything set to performance and Vsync off

Xez said:
Make sure you've removed every trace of the ati drivers although you may need to format in the end to get it working properly :p my 7800GT at stock got more than that so theres deffinatly something wrong there!

Made sure of that. Uninstalled using ati uninstaller. restart. ran drivercleaner twice. Restart. ran nvidia installer. It's happening on both of my installs. I have one xp install on a 200gb for games (loads of fancy options and background tasks off, 14 background tasks) And another for internet. On both of them the performance is bad. Has anyone else tried the 91.47drivers with a 7900GT?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
UPDATE

I formated my PC yesterday because I wanted to start afresh yet I still get bad performance. nVidia demos (All but Luna which runs 40-60fps) run at 16-18fps and Zoo Tycoon 2 also runs cruddy at High settings. Could it be my 3D clocks aren't activating? Is there a way I can check? :) I'm just going to try Rollercoatser Tycoon 2 to see how that performs.

Soldato
I'll just add that yesterday I upgraded my drivers from 84.21 (which came with the card) to 91.47 and my 3dmark06 score dropped 500 marks to 4545. Went back to 84.21 and it was back up to 5015.
I was going to post a thread about this, but this one seems relevant...

edit: no_1_dave - can I ask what drivers you're using since they are non approved? Might have to overclock my gfx seeing your scores...
(won this gfx card in a competition - came with a zalman prefitted :D)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom