1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

7900GTX OC 512Mb NV4_disp problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by g head, 10 May 2006.

1. g head

Associate

Hi people!!!

just built a new system, installed graphic card (7900GTX OC 512Mb) everything seemed fine. Playing games like BF2, COD 2, FarCRy etc (yes i like FSP's).

This problem started when playing for a while, image starts to flicker (someone called them artifacts) when i leave the game the desktop flashes slowly every few seconds. I've also had a blue screen with this NV4_disp the device was caught in a continuous loop.

Is it the graphics card that is faulty or is there anything else i could try (i have uninstalled added new drivers etc) i'm trying to avoid sending it back and waiting 2 weeks for a replacement. :)

2. PsychoDuck

Gangster

What temp are you getting on the card at both idle and load?

3. g head

Associate

34C to around 50C during playing

4. Black Dog

Wise Guy

Possible bad memory on the card?

Have you done a 3dmark test?

5. KWJay

Wise Guy

Sounds like dodgy memory to me. I had a couple of 7900GT's that were doing the same thing, sometimes would run fine for hours, sometimes crahs after just a few mins. If i tried to oc just the mem leaving the core at stock in coolbits then the screen would flash on and off, i'd get little coloured dots all over the screen and have to reboot. here's the thread for mine...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17568017

Theres a link in there to an article that says the OC cards that were sold on the 7900gtx side of things didn't have enough headroom for the oc they were sold with. I'd RMA it if i were you, i did an managed to get a full refund on both the cards.

6. JoyPadJedi

Gangster

I had the same card and the same problem. I got an RMA through BFG as it turned out to be bad memory. RMA it.

7. g head

Associate

thanks guys :) i will send it back to BFG, did your replacements work ok?

8. JoyPadJedi

Gangster

Will let you know when I get it.

9. JoyPadJedi

Gangster

Just thought I'd add I'm using an ATI Rage3D II+DVD 4Mb while I wait for my RMA. Old school!!!

10. KWJay

Wise Guy

Hey mate. I got a refund from the place i got mine from and bought a pair of Gainward 512mb GT's from here. Just wacked them in and apart from one of coolers making a whining sound everything is great! actually completes the detect optimal frequencies test now and am rock solid at 575Mhz core and 1450 mem so far, gonne really put them through their paces this weekend. Plus they're noce and red so they go with the lighting in me case! :D

11. g head

Associate

nice one!! i sent it back so will have to wait for a replacement any further problems and i'll ask for a refund!!!

ATI Rage3D II+DVD 4Mb that is old skool!! ;)

12. andyroberts

Associate

I too have this problem with the nv4_disp.dll but only when i play AOE3, I found this article

http://s13.invisionfree.com/nv4_disp/index.php?showtopic=10

and have installed the nv4loopfix 2 days ago, and so far have not had any more problems.

Yes it does work on chipsets other than VIA, I have an Intel 875.

Well give it a try and see what happens.

Andy

13. JoyPadJedi

Gangster

Wow, very impressed with BFG's RMA service.

Send the card to them on Friday, received replacement lunchtime today (Tuesday). Also happy to announce the problems are solved. Games actually exit more cleanly, too.

14. g head

Associate

yeah i sent it back, they received it monday and i got one on tuesday!! heehee same bloody card i thought! well it has tested on it so i wil test tonight, problem games for me were tomb raider and cod 2 :)

15. g head

Associate

everything seems fine, the real test will be online gaming, fancy a game visit NANOSQUAD.NET :D