• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900xt for £750 or wait?

Associate
Hi all,

I have been out of the country for a few years so sold my GPU and monitor when I left but kept the rest of my PC. I will likely be getting the new Alienware 32" 4k monitor when it releases so just after a GPU to go with it, plan is to probably skip the next gen of GPU releases so need this to last 3 years+ ideally.

So I was looking at the 7900xtx and hoping it had a decent price drop when the 4080 super gets released, if not I would imaging the 4080 super would be a better purchase if it comes out for around the same price as the 7900xtx. But I noticed the 7900xt is now around £750 for a good AIB card such as the powercolor or sapphire nitro. At current prices the 7900xtx is around £1000 so around 30% more expensive for around 10% gains doesn't seem worth it at the the minute, I think the 7900xtx would have to drop to around £850 to make it worthwhile.

Would you pull the trigger and get the sapphire nitro 7900xt for £770 now or hold off and hope the 7900xtx has a decent drop next week when the 4080 super releases? Or is there any other cards you guys would recommend?

TIA

Soldato
Unsure on the 7900XT/X value, but having just upgraded my son's rig with a Nitro 7800XT for just under £500 (by selling the Avatar code), I can happily recommend it.

He's using a Dell S3222DGM (1440p/165Hz) and the card runs absolutely everything with ease. Using stock Adrenaline over clock button, it scored nearly 18k in Timespy:

(3800X, 32Gb Ram, B450M)

For comparison, my 2080Ti (fully water cooled rig, highly tuned) managed just under 16k (15,935) with a 5800X & 64Gb ram.

Obviously the 7900XTX will drive a 4k screen better, but I thought I'd share my experience as someone who generally stays a generation behind, in order to get more performance for my money...

Associate
When are you getting this monitor?

If you need it at this moment then get it, if not wait. The 7900xt was sold for 699 last year so it's already marked up what it was before,I would be surprised if some of the more "premium" models of the XTX don't fall to the 900 or less mark.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I'll be getting the monitor next month so I can wait until then but I want to buy them around the same time so I have time for an easy return if I'm unhappy.

I have debated the whole 1440 ultrawide vs 4k as previously had the alienware 38" and loved it but I think if I buy a 1440 monitor now I'll upgrade in a year or two where as a 4k monitor will last me a few gpu's.

I'll probably wait for the 4080 super to drop and if I go 4k get whatever is a good price at the time. For 1440 the 7800xt sounds like a great deal.

Associate
I'm in this situation at the moment. Coming from a 3070Ti FE and recently got a 4k monitor. My card runs games pretty well and was keeping an eye on 7900XTX prices for a few months to see what'll happen once the 4080 Supers come out (if anything).

Associate
OP
I'm in this situation at the moment. Coming from a 3070Ti FE and recently got a 4k monitor. My card runs games pretty well and was keeping an eye on 7900XTX prices for a few months to see what'll happen once the 4080 Supers come out (if anything).
The main thing holding me back on a 7900xtx is that so far dlss is apparently better than fsr so if 4080 super ends up around the same price as the 7900xtx then surely the 4080 super is a better option?

Out of interest how are you finding the switch to a 4k monitor vs 1440?

Associate
I think if you're considering a budget around £750 then I'd probably give the 4070ti Super some thought too, it seems to trade blows with the 7900XT.

The non-super was a no go for me due to the 12GB VRAM, but I'd probably take DLSS over the gap between 16-20GB.

Obviously if you don't mind stretching to a 4080 super (and that launch doesn't have a pretty large effect on XT/XTX pricing), then that might be a better idea :)

Associate
wait for what though?

You should see better price/perf in about a years time, and then a mid cycle refresh in 2 etc etc that's why people say to upgrade only when you need to. Of course if ur into PCVR like me then ur screwed cos you basically want the highest perf.

Associate
OP
I think if you're considering a budget around £750 then I'd probably give the 4070ti Super some thought too, it seems to trade blows with the 7900XT.

The non-super was a no go for me due to the 12GB VRAM, but I'd probably take DLSS over the gap between 16-20GB.

Obviously if you don't mind stretching to a 4080 super (and that launch doesn't have a pretty large effect on XT/XTX pricing), then that might be a better idea :)
The 4070 ti super is more like £800-850 which is what puts me off.

I think I'll see if I can snag one of the 4080 super at msrp, even if it's basically the same as the 4080 I think for £940 worth the extra

Actually rival sites have some closer to £750, worth considering at that price compared to the 7900xt

Last edited:
Associate
The 4070 ti super is more like £800-850 which is what puts me off.

I think I'll see if I can snag one of the 4080 super at msrp, even if it's basically the same as the 4080 I think for £940 worth the extra

Actually rival sites have some closer to £750, worth considering at that price compared to the 7900xt
Yeah they seem to start at around £770, including here - Obviously depends what brands/SKUs you're happy with, but I think I'd be happy enough with a gainward/palit/zotac at the right price.

Some decent new games to come along. This year is looking pretty threadbare so far.
Depends what you like playing really, personally I'm mostly in to open world/survival type games and Palworld and Enshrouded both look decent and released in the last week.

I also love Kerbal Space program and KSP2 has only recently got to a point where it's fairly stable/playable.

OP also said they'd not been gaming for the last few years and there have been some decent games in that timeframe worth going back for (@~bones~ - You said you kept the rest of your old PC, what CPU etc. do you have?)

Soldato
I think I'd be happy enough with a gainward/palit/zotac at the right price.
Had a 3070 Palit, great though it was, now however, I wouldn't buy Palit/GW due to possible RMA ballaches with customs forms to fill and return post charges from Asia after the first yr of warranty is up.

Zotac I think still has UK RMA centre so that would be my choice of the three.

Associate
OP
My build has a 5900x so I should be good with that for a few years without any bottleneck.

I haven't gamed for almost 2 years so have a decent backlog of games to play. I generally play open world rpg so that's why I'm leaning towards 4k over frame rates, sure 4k120 would be amazing but I don't play many fps games and nothing competitive so a I've 120fps isn't necessary for me.

With regards to an aib I've been team red previously so not too familiar with the best brand to go for so will have to do some research on any to avoid

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a 3070 Palit, great though it was, now however, I wouldn't buy Palit/GW due to possible RMA ballaches with customs forms to fill and return post charges from Asia after the first yr of warranty is up.

Zotac I think still has UK RMA centre so that would be my choice of the three.
Zotac has slipped into first place in terms of warranty/after sales, since EVGA stopped making GPUs - they're now the only firm who offer a five year warranty.

I paid to extend my warranty on my 2080Ti FTW, so it's covered until end of 2028; how EVGA will provide support in the event of a failure (repair, replace, refund, etc) remains to be seen.

When I buy a new GPU, it'll be Sapphire for Radeon, or Zotac for Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom