• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 oc help ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 61728
  • Start date

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

Hi i have a Gigabyte 7950 windforce 3 gb card.I have been using Sapphire trixx to do a over clock on it.I some questions

Stock
clock:900mhz
memoryclock:1250mhz
vddc:1.087v
idle temps = low 40s
load temps =mid 60s

Overclock
clock:1200mhz
memoryclock:1600mhz
board power Li : +20
vddc:1.281v(any lower and is not stable)
idle temps:low 50s
load late 75c-80c(heaven and 3dmark)

Haven't touched the voltage on the memory yet just the core.
Fan is set auto btw.

How high can the load temperatures be safely ?

How high can i go on the vcore, is 1.281v too high ?

Cheers

Associate
Hi i have a Gigabyte 7950 windforce 3 gb card.I have been using Sapphire trixx to do a over clock on it.I some questions

Stock
clock:900mhz
memoryclock:1250mhz
vddc:1.087v
idle temps = low 40s
load temps =mid 60s

Overclock
clock:1200mhz
memoryclock:1600mhz
board power Li : +20
vddc:1.281v(any lower and is not stable)
idle temps:low 50s
load late 75c-80c(heaven and 3dmark)

Haven't touched the voltage on the memory yet just the core.
Fan is set auto btw.

How high can the load temperatures be safely ?

How high can i go on the vcore, is 1.281v too high ?

Cheers

I wouldnt go over 1.25 vddc IMO.

Try find a stable overclock at 1150 core instead of 1200 and your voltage needed will be much much lower, 1150-1200 is not going to be a noticable difference imo. I presume your fans on auto dont go above 55% roughly? Try set a custome profile for the fans to hit 65-70% on full gpu load and see how those temps go.

Quick question have you checked your vrm temps with that overclock? As your getting 75-80c on the core as it is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

OP
I wouldnt go over 1.25 vddc IMO.

Try find a stable overclock at 1150 core instead of 1200 and your voltage needed will be much much lower, 1150-1200 is not going to be a noticable difference imo. I presume your fans on auto dont go above 55% roughly? Try set a custome profile for the fans to hit 65-70% on full gpu load and see how those temps go.

Quick question have you checked your vrm temps with that overclock? As your getting 75-80c on the core as it is.
In general with over clocking anything am I right for saying that as long as the temperatures are okay the voltages don't matter so much?

Yes with that particular overclock under load the gpu is 75c-80c on average maybe peaks to low 80s sometimes.

When should i touch the voltage on the memory and by how much as a maximum ?

Associate
In general with over clocking anything am I right for saying that as long as the temperatures are okay the voltages don't matter so much?

Yes with that particular overclock under load the gpu is 75c-80c on average maybe peaks to low 80s sometimes.

When should i touch the voltage on the memory and by how much as a maximum ?

Yeah as long as the temps are ok it should not be a problem, i only mentiond 1.25 as thats the max i would go myself. However, reading around people are saying 1.3 at the very max.

Going back to your temps i think your mixing up your core temps with your vrm temps. Try downloading gpu-z and see what your vrm temparatures are under load.

About the memory voltage sorry but i have never touched that myself so i wouldnt be able to help you with that. Maybe someone on the forum can step in and help you with that. I have my memory at 1800 at stock.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Turn of that powerlimit thing and go 1.1 should work, well it worked for me.

Raise the vram volts as well it will help to stabilize your card! :D

Soldato
The limit is indeed temperatures (and your own sensitivity to noise).

As above, check your VRM temperatures as well.

If I were you I'd drop it down to 1150 unless your benchmarking. It's the sweet spot between heat/noise IMO.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

OP
What would you say is the max vrm1 and vrm2 temperature for this card ?

My asic quality is 62% would that explain why I have to give it loads of volts to get a stable overclock that someone else would get for less ?

Associate
What would you say is the max vrm1 and vrm2 temperature for this card ?

My asic quality is 62% would that explain why I have to give it loads of volts to get a stable overclock that someone else would get for less ?

I don't want vrm temps going over 80c for every day use and that's the very max for me. What are your vrm temps?

As for ASIC quality don't take any notice of it. There are people on this forum with asics like yours but their cards overclock amazingly well.

Soldato
What would you class as low voltage on a good overclock from a low Asic 7970?

Out of 4 79 series gpu's I have used, 3 of them have required a lot of voltage to get decent high clocks-they all had low Asic in the 60's.

As I said, low Asic quality=high stock [email protected], it's not reporting wrong information.

I don't however regard Asic quality as an indication of how well a gpu can overclock though-it's still a lottery.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

OP
Ok little update.Ive restarted the oc on the card from the very beginning again with custom fan so far:

1200mhz core
1300mhz mem
Li + 20
vddc = 1.262

Load temps
gpu temperture max 71c
vrm1 temp max 73c
vrm2 temp max 71c

If i up the mem freq any more its not stable what should i increase the vddc even more or up the memory voltage.Can you change the mem voltage in Trixx its just for some reason msi afterburner wont let me go any further than 1200mhz core on the slider control so switch to using Trixx ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom