• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950X3D Best Setup

Soldato
Just upgraded to a 7950X3D and was wondering how you guys have setup the OS and Chip to get the most out of it?

I am just trying to get core parking working on an existing Windows 10 install which is proving to be a challenge. Followed all the guides and everything is installed but it’s currently refusing to park. Just updating Windows 10 and I’m hoping this will be the fix. I have associated resource monitor to Game Bar to see if it will park to test. Are there any other options?

Update did not fix, grrr.

Soldato
Just upgraded to a 7950X3D and was wondering how you guys have setup the OS and Chip to get the most out of it?

I am just trying to get core parking working on an existing Windows 10 install which is proving to be a challenge. Followed all the guides and everything is installed but it’s currently refusing to park. Just updating Windows 10 and I’m hoping this will be the fix. I have associated resource monitor to Game Bar to see if it will park to test. Are there any other options?

have you updated the bios and latest Chipset driver? worst case go to 11 better scheduling

Associate
Anyone using project lasso?
I personally don't use it at the moment, but I did set up a profile in the past to test out using project lasso for placing games on the right CCD.

I recommend using CPU sets as it works with every game. Affinity is a harder lock, can maybe can be useful if a application spills over when it shouldn't with CPU sets(can't say I've seen that happen, though), but anti-cheat blocks you from tinkering with affinity (there's work arounds like setting the affinity in a launcher and it should carry through but it doesn't always work out). WIth CPU sets I recommend setting up some rules under Options > CPU > CPU Sets inside Project Lasso. It'll pop up with a little window where you can type in a "process match" and underneath set which cores/threads you want it to be set to. In process match you can either just type in the process name or you can use regular expressions to match. Personally I have my games on partitions so they don't get wiped on a reinstall, so I'd set it up to auto assign any games installed in the steamlibrary on a partition to go to cpu sets 0-15 when they're launched. For that example that cpu sets page would look like /^([^,]*,){3}.*o:\\steamlibrary.*/ in the process match text box with o being the partition letter, and the CPU sets is (0-15).

Caporegime

If you want the best performance, do not use process lasso. People will advise using it, but when I tested Process Lasso in games, I saw lower performance compared to when I just used game bar to automatically handle CCD assignment. If you want the easier option, use game bar it's less hassle in the long run. If you decide to follow my advice, all you need to do is the following and everything should work as intended.

BIOS:
  • Make sure the BIOS is up to date and the Default BIOS options will be optimal for X3D, however the specific settings you can confirm are set correct are: CPPC = Auto / CStates & DFStates = Auto. If you didn't change these, they should be set correctly anyway.
  • If your BIOS has any specific X3D options called Core Flex, Gaming preset etc, leave those disabled.
Software:
  1. You need to use a supported Windows 10/11 build or later. These are the earliest supported versions, so if you are using a version that predates these, you'll need to update.
    1. Windows 11 21H2 22000.1455
    2. Windows 10 1903 19044.2546
  2. Perform a clean installation of Windows. Things will work better rather than using an old OS that was used for a different CPU. This bit is important, so don't overlook it, otherwise you might need to use something like Process Lasso. I recommend the latest Windows 11 22H2 build, which I use with my 7950X3D. I've tested Windows 10 vs 11, and 11 is clearly faster in gaming so if you are on 10 take this into consideration.
    1. With Windows Installed, install the latest AMD Chipset driver from the AMD website, don't use Mobo chipset drivers.
    2. Update Windows game bar via the Windows Store. It usually needs to be updated twice, same for all MS Store apps so restart the MS Store mid way through and update again.
    3. Use Windows Balanced Power profile. (used by default).
    4. Do not disable Windows game mode. (enabled by default).
    5. Do not disable game bar (enabled by default).
    6. Restart PC.
You are good to go, no further efforts required and no messing about with third party apps like Process Lasso unless you want more control, more on this below.

It is good practice to update game bar once or twice a month as new games get released. It will often prompt you when you press the game bar hotkey when launching a game if there is an update available.

Games will be assigned to the various cache/frequency CCDs based on the following:
  • If the game prefers cache over frequency, it should run primarily on the cache CCD. (95% of games)
  • If the game prefers frequency over cache, it should run primarily on the frequency CCD. (less games, notable examples CS:GO, Football Manager, etc)
  • By default, games not recognised by game bar (keep it up to date and usually manual assignment is not necessary :) ) will run on the frequency CCD. If a new game comes out and you want to encourage it to primarily use the cache CCD as you think this might give better performance, bring up game bar when the game is launched (Press Windows Key + G) and tick the option that says remember this is a game. The game will now primarily run on the cache CCD, unless utilisation gets high. More explained on this behaviour in the next bullet. If you want the game to run on the frequency cores again, launch the game, bring up game bar, and uncheck remember this is a game.
  • If the CPU utilisation gets high enough, you may find that one or more cores on the inactive CCD wake up and become active and begin work. This is normal and expected and exactly how the CPU is designed. It offers extra performance vs keeping highly utilised cores to one CCD, which is what happens to those poor folks using Process Lasso. People that advocate for apps like Process Lasso often think this is a bug and it hurts performance, it doesn't, It helps performance. Thoroughly tested on a 4090 and a 7900 XTX over many games and settings. :)
  • I've encountered one problematic game that requires a game update to solve, and that's Metro Enhanced Edition with RT. It stutters when you use the default Windows Power Profile with 7950X3D. This can be addressed by switching to the High Performance power profile within Windows. This is the only problematic game I've discovered in my testing, everything else works fine for me including CS:GO. I know some other folks have had issue with CS:GO.
Here is a tuned 4090 running on a 7950X3D using game bar.

Here is a tuned 4090 running on a 7950X3D using process lasso to force games to the cache CCD and other apps to the frequency CCD.

Note the difference in CPU Avg FPS and 1% Low FPS. The GPU and overall Avg FPS are less important here. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you want the best performance, do not use process lasso. People will advise using it, but when I tested Process Lasso in games, I saw lower performance compared to when I just used game bar to automatically handle CCD assignment. If you want the easier option, use game bar it's less hassle in the long run. If you decide to follow my advice, all you need to do is the following and everything should work as intended.

BIOS:
  • Make sure the BIOS is up to date and the Default BIOS options will be optimal for X3D, however the specific settings you can confirm are set correct are: CPPC = Auto / CStates & DFStates = Auto. If you didn't change these, they should be set correctly anyway.
  • If your BIOS has any specific X3D options called Core Flex, Gaming preset etc, leave those disabled.
Software:
  1. You need to use a supported Windows 10/11 build or later. These are the earliest supported versions, so if you are using a version that predates these, you'll need to update.
    1. Windows 11 21H2 22000.1455
    2. Windows 10 1903 19044.2546
  2. Perform a clean installation of Windows. Things will work better rather than using an old OS that was used for a different CPU. This bit is important, so don't overlook it, otherwise you might need to use something like Process Lasso. I recommend the latest Windows 11 22H2 build, which I use with my 7950X3D. I've tested Windows 10 vs 11, and 11 is clearly faster in gaming so if you are on 10 take this into consideration.
    1. With Windows Installed, install the latest AMD Chipset driver from the AMD website, don't use Mobo chipset drivers.
    2. Update Windows game bar via the Windows Store. It usually needs to be updated twice, same for all MS Store apps so restart the MS Store mid way through and update again.
    3. Use Windows Balanced Power profile. (used by default).
    4. Do not disable Windows game mode. (enabled by default).
    5. Do not disable game bar (enabled by default).
    6. Restart PC.
You are good to go, no further efforts required and no messing about with third party apps like Process Lasso unless you want more control, more on this below.

It is good practice to update game bar once or twice a month as new games get released. It will often prompt you when you press the game bar hotkey when launching a game if there is an update available.

Games will be assigned to the various cache/frequency CCDs based on the following:
  • If the game prefers cache over frequency, it should run primarily on the cache CCD. (95% of games)
  • If the game prefers frequency over cache, it should run primarily on the frequency CCD. (less games, notable examples CS:GO, Football Manager, etc)
  • By default, games not recognised by game bar (keep it up to date and usually manual assignment is not necessary :) ) will run on the frequency CCD. If a new game comes out and you want to encourage it to primarily use the cache CCD as you think this might give better performance, bring up game bar when the game is launched (Press Windows Key + G) and tick the option that says remember this is a game. The game will now primarily run on the cache CCD, unless utilisation gets high. More explained on this behaviour in the next bullet. If you want the game to run on the frequency cores again, launch the game, bring up game bar, and uncheck remember this is a game.
  • If the CPU utilisation gets high enough, you may find that one or more cores on the inactive CCD wake up and become active and begin work. This is normal and expected and exactly how the CPU is designed. It offers extra performance vs keeping highly utilised cores to one CCD, which is what happens to those poor folks using Process Lasso. People that advocate for apps like Process Lasso often think this is a bug and it hurts performance, it doesn't, It helps performance. Thoroughly tested on a 4090 and a 7900 XTX over many games and settings. :)
  • I've encountered one problematic game that requires a game update to solve, and that's Metro Enhanced Edition with RT. It stutters when you use the default Windows Power Profile with 7950X3D. This can be addressed by switching to the High Performance power profile within Windows. This is the only problematic game I've discovered in my testing, everything else works fine for me including CS:GO. I know some other folks have had issue with CS:GO.
Here is a tuned 4090 running on a 7950X3D using game bar.

Here is a tuned 4090 running on a 7950X3D using process lasso to force games to the cache CCD and other apps to the frequency CCD.

Note the difference in CPU Avg FPS and 1% Low FPS. The GPU and overall Avg FPS are less important here. :)
Thanks for that. I have done everything suggested and cores would not park. Interestingly, if I changed my power plan from balanced to Power Save it works. Cores 1 - 16 are parked and Visual Studio sits on 17 onwards.

Also set CPPC Dynamic Preffed Cores to driver. Using Quick CPU to monitor what's happening

If I run a game that gets assigned to 1-16. A bit weird but working.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for that. I have done everything suggested and cores would not park. Interestingly, if I changed my power plan from balanced to Power Safe it works. Cores 1 - 16 are parked and Visual Studio .... games all get assigned to 17 onwards.

Also set CPPC Dynamic Preffed Cores to driver. Using Quick CPU to monitor what's happening

If I run a game that gets assigned to 1-16. A bit weird!
Visual Studio is not a game, so it may well be expected for all cores to be active so it is more performant.

Setting CPPC to driver is not really necessary. In theory it should still work, but just use Auto for now since you are overriding the default behaviour which I know works.

Stop using Quick CPU to track the status of cores for AMD CPUs, as it cannot accurately poll a sleeping Ryzen Core. Use Ryzen Master Tool instead. ;)

Note the sleeping cores as shown in Ryzen Master Tool.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Visual Studio isn't but when I build all activity is on 17 onwards 0-16 generally is parked. Resource Monitor shows similar info. I was just using it for a generally guide to see what was happening which was nothing when it was on balanced. I will carry on playing

Last edited:
Caporegime
Visual Studio isn't but when I build all activity is on 17 onwards 0-16 generally is parked. Resource Monitor shows similar info. I was just using it for a generally guide to see what was happening which was nothing when it was on balanced. I will carry on playing
I'm not too familiar with that app to be honest, but I can try it out myself if you can give me a link and some brief instructions on what to do.

I would expect it to run primarily on the frequency CCD, since most apps benefit more from higher CPU frequency rather than cache - which really only benefits games for the most part.

If the CPU utilisation becomes high enough when you run Visual Studio, the cores on the cache CCD will wake up as needed. If they don't wake up, it's likely that utilisation is not high enough to warrant them waking up from sleep.

Caporegime
https://coderbag.com/product/quickcpu. It’s a nice little utility.

It seems to be doing the right thing now as you described. I just wonder why the balanced plan doesn’t work, tried resetting it. Cant face a reinstall of 10 and I’m not sure how a Windows 11 upgrade would go.
Did you install Windows 10 fresh when you got the CPU? Are you using a later build than what I advised above? Either one of these could explain things with regards to Balanced not working correctly, as well as not having Chipset driver installed and game bar/game mode enabled and up to date.

You can use Ryzen Master Tool, or you can even use Windows own tools like resource monitor and Task Manager to see if cores are sleeping if you wish. See my screenshot below, I switch to window mode and clicked on the game window and took a print screen, showing the second CCD cores asleep as the game (COD) prefers cache.

EDIT - I got that app working and reporting on sleeping cores, but it's a little bit resource heavy for my liking, will go back to using resource monitor in windows which is more lightweight. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
No. Use it for software development and it would be a pain, days to get everything installed. Updated the chipset and other drivers related to the board but that’s it. 5900X and X570 previously. Everything was fine apart from this parking

Last edited:
Caporegime
No. Use it for software development and it would be a pain, days to get everything installed. Updated the chipset and other drivers related to the board but that’s it.
4L719gh.gif

Make time for it, when you can. Things will probably work better. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Any reason not to upgrade to win 11? I did the deed on mine about six months ago and have no issues. I run visual studio, various vms, android studio, mssql, postgres etc etc so like you I didn't want the hassle of reinstalling windows (managed 4 years now and other than a few os repairs via the command line is been golden)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Any reason not to upgrade to win 11? I did the deed on mine about six months ago and have no issues. I run visual studio, various vms, android studio, mssql, postgres etc etc so like you I didn't want the hassle of reinstalling windows (managed 4 years now and other than a few os repairs via the command line is been golden)
None at all other than it all going horribly wrong. I work remotely and have secure access to work with heavy duty security which is currently causing an issue with the new gear. So your upgrade had no issues and it just worked?

I have a daily backup of the OS so I can always fallback to that. Might give it a go, seems to be working on the Power Save Plan though. Frequencies don’t look like their being throttled using Hwinfo.

Last edited:
Associate
None at all other than it all going horribly wrong. I work remotely and have secure access to work with heavy duty security which is currently causing an issue with the new gear. So your upgrade had no issues and it just worked?

I have a daily backup of the OS so I can always fallback to that. Might give it a go, seems to be working on the Power Save Plan though. Frequencies don’t look like their being throttled using Hwinfo.
Yes, I work fully remotely. 4 days a week for a company (full stack developer ) and the rest for my own business. I had zero issues just doing the windows 11 upgrade it just worked. I had the luxury of trying it on both my kids machine first but they don't have the environments I do.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, I work fully remotely. 4 days a week for a company (full stack developer ) and the rest for my own business. I had zero issues just doing the windows 11 upgrade it just worked. I had the luxury of trying it on both my kids machine first but they don't have the environments I do.
Similar position mate, luckily now in a consultancy role which I only work 10 days a month. Finally got my work, life balance.

Good enough for me to give it a go then. I’ll report back and hopefully it fixes all the issues.

Back
Top Bottom