7950x3d upgrade spec check

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a 3700X. Need something a little meatier for gaming/coding.

For what it's worth I'll be running Linux because I'm really cool.

Here's where I've landed:
My questions are:
  • What is comparatively over-specced or under-speced? More worried about the latter
  • Any obvious compatibility issues? Not fully checked everything fits into that case how I want it to
  • I'm told that buying a new GPU *now* is a terrible idea because new cards are rumoured in January so might be better to hold until then when prices drop. Thoughts?
  • I'm interested in this being quiet without going down the rabbit hole of water cooling. Anything I should change to make it quieter?
  • Is there anything I've missed?

Last edited:
Soldato
Im not sure your going to do the 7950X3D justice with your stated needs. You might be better off with a 7800X3D.

Not sure why you have picked a micro-atx board to go in a full size case. If your trying to avoid RGB how about the MSI pro series

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £250.00 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I think the samsung drive is a bit over priced considering the sn850x is only £146

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £145.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Compatability issue might be with using the 360 rad cooler as it has to go in the front of the case. This means you are restricted to a gpu off 300mm or shorter. If you drop to a 240 or 280 you can fit it in the roof and use a GPU up to 360mm lenth

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £219.94 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

The fractal AIo can be had instock for £80 if you look around!!

As your buying Nvidia you really should buy a ATX v3 native psu.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £359.93 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

You could waste a lot of time waiting to see if the next gpu comes out soon or the price drops or you could just buy now, (suck it up if you later) have to and just enjoy playing games now. Its only going to be a few upgraded models with upgraded prices so is it really worth the wait??

It should be plenty quiet and No I dont think your missing anything

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My questions are:
  • What is comparatively over-specced or under-speced? More worried about the latter
Based on OCUK prices and a primarily gaming usage, I think you're paying too much for the motherboard, cooler, SSD and CPU, relative to the graphics card.

If I extrapolate that your budget is £2000, then this is more like what I'd buy (assuming that you need nvidia graphics card):

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,997.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Cooler: this.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the thoughts.

I probably should have put coding first in my list. That's why I wanted the oversized CPU. But, I'm increasingly convinced by the 7800x3d for the simplicity of the uniform cores. I'll never be wondering if something is running the wrong way.

I've since switched to meshify 2 for the case. I really want a solid panel case and with the right fans it goes quieter than the north (well, according to reviews)

Hadn't noticed the ATX3 thing. Good spot!

I've already got the HDD (got it a few months ago for existing PC, the only component moving over!)

Seriously tempted to move up to a 4080. The cost/performance increase doesn't seem great though. I don't play much of the latest games either.

For the sake of £100 I'm probably going to 64gb ram. Future proof. Less hassle. Some of my workouts would benefit from it.

Motherboard... No reason for choosing the smaller motherboard other than it being well reviewed and I've had good experiences with gigabyte in the past. Will take a look at the others :)

Associate
below all the b650 boards...he goes though all the specs and then does a stress test to check vrms..good starting point, then narrow down mobo's that suit and check other reviews..x670 boards below

Associate
OP
If I extrapolate that your budget is £2000, then this is more like what I'd buy (assuming that you need nvidia graphics card):
Curious what you'd go for if AMD. I've been reading up a bit more and looks like AMD has the edge on Linux

Back
Top Bottom