• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7990 GPU usage drops causing low FPS

Associate
GPU usage drops causing low FPS

When I am playing demanding games such as Crysis3, all maxed. When my GPU is loading at around 99% I can get up to 100fps in certain area but when I move to another locations the GPU usage could drop to 6X% and I get 4x fps. Why does it happen?

my spec:
I7 3770 @ 4.3
7990 (Matt's bios)
8gb ram
120 gb SSD

Last edited:
Associate
Disable UPLS (Think that's what its called) - So the card isn't going into power saving when not under full load.

Caporegime
Disable ULPS using afterburner. Use the latest beta, beta 19. Are you sure the card is not throttling, does the core clock change when the usage drops? Have you set +20% power line?

Associate
OP
Clock your 3770K to higher might...

Crysis 3 is quite CPU intensive as well besides graphic side of things.

I always keep an eye on the CPU usage but they are not full loaded...

Disable UPLS (Think that's what its called) - So the card isn't going into power saving when not under full load.

Yes I have disabled it already :(

Disable ULPS using afterburner. Use the latest beta, beta 19. Are you sure the card is not throttling, does the core clock change when the usage drops? Have you set +20% power line?

Hi Matt, yes I have disabled it already. Currently I am using Ver3, will try beta 19 tonight.
Yes I have +20% power line at afterburner...

Caporegime
Probably just crysis 3 mate there are parts where its really heavy on the cpu because of Physics so it will drop fps and lower gpu usage. Only solution is a 6 core cpu for extra performance or overclock more. Next Crysis game will be on Mantle so you can run your cpu under-clocked and still get superior cpu performance compared to a 6 core ivy-e overclocked to the limits on dx11.

Associate
OP
Probably just crysis 3 mate there are parts where its really heavy on the cpu because of Physics so it will drop fps and lower gpu usage. Only solution is a 6 core cpu for extra performance or overclock more. Next Crysis game will be on Mantle so you can run your cpu under-clocked and still get superior cpu performance compared to a 6 core ivy-e overclocked to the limits on dx11.

it doesnt happen to one game only, it happens to other game such as Far cry3 as well

Caporegime
Fps are still high, what's the problem? Probably just game issues. Farcry 3 has random moments where gpu usage drops, poor optimization. Crysis 3 that area is very tough on the cpu because of the grass Physics. Just ignore it. As long as its fine for the most part, why worry.

Back
Top Bottom