7Mb to 12Mb Suggested Speed When Checking Deals For New Address

Associate
Hey guys, I recently moved into a rented farmhouse and im not far from the nearby town, there is an old sky router left here by someone, when i check on Money supermarket my suggested speeds are 7 to 12Mb is this likely to be right as i am not prepared to pay money for those speeds. I can get a faster speed on my mobile phone. WHats your thoughts guys?

Associate
Can you access 5G signal? Or just 4G?

Can find some decent 5G Broadband deals for <£30. Unlimited data of course.

Starlink potentially but that's generally £530 hardware cost + £89 a month subscription fee.

Associate
OP
Can you access 5G signal? Or just 4G?

Can find some decent 5G Broadband deals for <£30. Unlimited data of course.

Starlink potentially but that's generally £530 hardware cost + £89 a month subscription fee.

Thanks for your reply mate. Just 4g here. Oh starlink seems a bit expensive. I might end up just using my phone data im with Smarty so i should gget the unlimited deal now ;)

You mean you didn’t check before moving in?
Thanks for your reply mate. No i never i had been told it has fast internet installed. ;)

Try other providers, there are a few alt nets around like Gigaclear etc which may have laid fibre if you’re lucky.
Thanks for your reply mate. I will give it a try ;)

Thoughts are that you'll probably be using your phone
Thanks for your reply mate. I agree i have 4g so i should probably change it to unlimited data for £20 a month. ;)

Associate
OP
It's possible that you can get FTTC but there's a waiting list. If you do an address search on https://broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com (put the postcode in, click next, pick your address from a list) then what does it say?

hi mate thanks for your reply i put in my address but it says the checker is not working and to try again later. So i will try tomorrow ;)

Soldato
I have 4G in my mancave at Rannoch, 4G gets me 30-50 Mbit. I have to use a 4G router and a Poynting Cross Polarised High gain 4G Panel LTE Antenna that's supposed to go outside but works just as well through a window :D

BT can only do 3 Mbit in my remote locations but the nearest village which is 8 miles away gets a much higher speed.

Man of Honour
A few considerations - if it is rural and reasonably remote those speeds are likely correct but check the wiring at the new place - when we moved into a new house in a rural area we were lucky to get FTTC but speeds were dire - I found the internal wiring was an absolute mess* and had BT come out and chop the cable at the point it entered the house and install a new master socket - saw a significant increase in speed. We were lucky to get FTTC as 90% of the houses in the village are stuck on sub 8Mbit ADSL speeds.

Mobile signal quality could vary a lot and while speeds might be higher you will probably find the latency less than ideal if you do any online gaming and stability might not be ideal in general. While speeds on 4G were OK here I found by accident a spot where they double - for some reason a small spot in my bedroom it jumps from 30/10 to 60/25 - fortunately in general 4G here has so far been reliable with fairly consistent latency and little to no drop outs - but you don't have to go far down the road and it all falls apart.

* One of the most hideous things I've seen - it drunkenly runs around the house with a topology which makes zero sense, no sign of a master socket, and uses a mixture of spliced in 2 different types of mains cable which seem to have been salvaged off appliances, bell wire, speaker cable and CAT5 as well as standard CAT3. At least one of the extensions appeared to have been wired in using a length of grey cable from a vacuum cleaner!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have 4G in my mancave at Rannoch, 4G gets me 30-50 Mbit. I have to use a 4G router and a Poynting Cross Polarised High gain 4G Panel LTE Antenna that's supposed to go outside but works just as well through a window :D

BT can only do 3 Mbit in my remote locations but the nearest village which is 8 miles away gets a much higher speed.

Hi mate that sounds like a great idea. I am going to try a few different sims first to see if another network is better. If not i might give the antenna and 4g router a shot. Many thanks.

A few considerations - if it is rural and reasonably remote those speeds are likely correct but check the wiring at the new place - when we moved into a new house in a rural area we were lucky to get FTTC but speeds were dire - I found the internal wiring was an absolute mess* and had BT come out and chop the cable at the point it entered the house and install a new master socket - saw a significant increase in speed. We were lucky to get FTTC as 90% of the houses in the village are stuck on sub 8Mbit ADSL speeds.

Mobile signal quality could vary a lot and while speeds might be higher you will probably find the latency less than ideal if you do any online gaming and stability might not be ideal in general. While speeds on 4G were OK here I found by accident a spot where they double - for some reason a small spot in my bedroom it jumps from 30/10 to 60/25 - fortunately in general 4G here has so far been reliable with fairly consistent latency and little to no drop outs - but you don't have to go far down the road and it all falls apart.

* One of the most hideous things I've seen - it drunkenly runs around the house with a topology which makes zero sense, no sign of a master socket, and uses a mixture of spliced in 2 different types of mains cable which seem to have been salvaged off appliances, bell wire, speaker cable and CAT5 as well as standard CAT3. At least one of the extensions appeared to have been wired in using a length of grey cable from a vacuum cleaner!

Hi mate thanks for your reply. You have given me something to think about. I can always look to see where the wiring and master socket are. I dont know if the main line up to the house is a poor cable and thats why they estimate such a poor speed. I will also try other sims to see if another network will give me a boost in 4g speed or not. The other poster has suggested a 4g router and a lte antenna which might be an option. Cheers.

Three (as in the mobile network) offers a sim-only plan for £16/month with true unlimited data i.e. no fair usage policy. Although the Three plan is primarily for 5G users, it does include 4G as well. As you're already getting higher speeds on your phone than 7-12mbit, I would get a 4G router for sub-£100 e.g. a TP Link. Then you can start a home network :)

Associate
I’m in a similar position. I moved into rented accommodation and was assured it had “fast internet”.

I didn’t check as it was more important finding somewhere to live quickly and I didn’t have the luxury of choice at the time.

I’ve resorted to using mobile broadband.

What I would do (and did do) is test all the networks to see who provides the fastest speeds and then get mobile broadband.

Back
Top Bottom