7th Annual BOINC Pentathlon: 5th - 19th June 2016

Soldato
wwPb.png

We have been invited to participate in this years Boinc Pentathlon

FAQ https://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/27_en_FAQ.html

In case no one knows what this is it's a competition run between the 5th - 19th June involving 5 different projects.

Marathon (CPU, 14 days)
Sprint (CPU or GPU, 3 days)
City Run (CPU, 5 days)
Cross Country (GPU or CPU, 5 days)
Swimming (CPU, 7 days)

We came 19th out of 27 last year (thread), but we had just 8 participants. Here's hoping this year we have a better turnout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 Boinc Pentathlon Overall Standings Ended, OcUK finished 12th/33 OVERALL

Individual Standings:

Marathon (CPU, full 14 days) CITIZEN SCIENCE GRID Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 12th/34
All credits granted between 05/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

City Run (CPU, 5 days) theSkyNet pogs Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 10th/34
All credits granted between 06/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 11/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Cross Country (GPU & CPU, 5 days) PRIMEGRID Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 12th/34
All credits granted between 09/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 14/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Swimming (CPU, 7 days) UNIVERSE@HOME Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 11th/34[/I]
All credits granted between 12/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 19/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Sprint (CPU, 3 days) ROSETTA@HOME Leaderboard Ended, OcUK finished 15th/34
All credits granted between 15/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) and 18/06/2016, 00:00 (UTC) will be taken into the BOINC Pentathlon validation. Please note that pending credits can not be taken into account!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We have been invited to participate in this years Boinc Pentathlon, which I will sign us up for.

I am perhaps being a bit presumptuous here, the decision should be decided as a team, those who wish to participate please post here and then we can discuss whether it's worth us entering if the numbers are low.

We have until the 27th April to decide.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK, so I'm thinking..

Atlas ... Being as we like this one, and the admin wants to be in it and ensured extra work units.
Asteroids .... stable, lots of work, GPU entry but scores great on CPU as well.
Skynet POGs ... stable, lots of work

Maybe
Cosmology, NFS or Enigma ??

or even Universe? I'll take this as Ba's entry :) we already have a strong team on there.

Soldato
OP
I was aware it was the 27th, I amended post #5, didn't remember I stated the 17th in the first post :o No I haven't entered us yet and yes, I thought it would be fun to cast our vote after it had finished :D The site has been down since the weekend, I will enter us as soon as it's back, there was another longer deadline for entering but without the options of choosing project recommendations, but I'm sure they extend the first deadline considering the circumstances.

Soldato
OP
Major Update, this year's pentathlon will be postponed.

Dear fellow crunchers,

bad news today. As you may already have noticed, seti-germany.de and the Pentathlon pages have been down since Saturday. The server was hacked and we do not know yet when everything will be back online. Of course, we do not want to bring it back up just to see it being hacked again during the Pentathlon. Additional security measures are being implemented right now.

I really feel bad to have to say this, but we will have to postpone this year's Pentathlon to make sure that we can provide the usual service (stats, daily bulletin, project announcements) and all teams have the opportunity to sign up. We can not give a new date right now, but we hope that we can run it still in May or early June, as we definitely want to avoid the hot summer months.

If you registered your team before last Friday, all information is in our latest backup and will be restored. If you wanted to participate but could not sign up yet, don't worry; we'll make sure that you can still sign up once the Pentathlon pages are back online (of course, you can also submit your project suggestions via email if you like).

We will post a proper announcement as soon as we have a new date. Really sorry for the chaos this year.

Regards,
pschoefer

Why anyone would want to hack a volunteer boinc team is beyond me.

Soldato
OP
I'm testing it now, I have had only one GNF 15 wu validate, and my 290 was twice as slow as a 750ti :( so it seems to favour Nvidia cards. I am trying PPS sieve to see how that performs. Probably best to uncheck the really long work units.

Soldato
OP
Well the start turned out to be a damp squid. I made the suggestion of changing the marathon to pogs and then choose another city run, this was countered with the suggestion that pogs may not have enough work for two weeks, so let's stick with a project that has no work at all :rolleyes: Also it was claimed that it was unlikely not to have any work for 2 weeks, but CSG has been dry for longer periods than that this year, and unreassuringly there is no mention of new work or acknowledgement of the pentathlon at the CSG site.

Anyway, roll on tonight with pogs :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom