8 to 16 gb question -ddr3 z97 mb

Soldato
Quick question here,

i still have my 4790k ocuk pc and it came with 2x4gb kingston hyperX 2133mhz memory.
Cpu is overclocked to 4.5ghz

whats the best way to get 16gb?

Am i right in saying i don't want to fill all 4 slots?
So get a new set of 2133mhz 2x8gb and all will be fine?

cheers

edit: i should also say i'm thinking of trying to eek a little more performance out of it, maybe trying 4.7ghz - i can't remember if i ever tried this before.

Permabanned
I would this the extra ram in games would be better than an extra 200mhz.

With ram your always best running just 2 sticks if you can. L running 4 may lower you over clock a little. But again it may may not it all depends on the cpus memory controller.

Ever way I would just stick 2 more matching sticks in, 4.5ghz is not an insain over clock you will be fine

Associate
I had a Z97 and 4690k with 2x4GB and just bought another 2x4GB which matched the speed/timings and it was fine. Seems a bit mad to ditch the 8gb you already have to buy 2x8GB!

Soldato
OP
got some corsair vengence 16gb 2133mhz and its working fine.
is there any point in putting my other 8 back in to get 24gb?
would having a mixed set cause problems? i'm unlikely to need that much ram but seems pointless wasting it if i can use it.
cheers

Permabanned
got some corsair vengence 16gb 2133mhz and its working fine.
is there any point in putting my other 8 back in to get 24gb?
would having a mixed set cause problems? i'm unlikely to need that much ram but seems pointless wasting it if i can use it.
cheers

there is no reson to keep it in a draw when it could be doing something in your system. i would 100% put it back in.
i would run a few tests and play some games just so you know the ram kits play nice together

Back
Top Bottom