8 year old PC, which bits to upgrade ?

Associate
OP
Oh yeah I do have a different mainboard, you're right.

That does look very nice in white! My current set up looks nothing like that, it's full of wires!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ordered the cooler and PSU, so once that's arrived I have everything, apart from the monitor.

I should have been doing some work today but I've been spending most of the afternoon browsing monitors and reading reviews... :o

I like the one you suggested (Gigabyte G27QC) but it's not that much bigger then my current 24" one, so I am temped by a 32" one, though not widescreen as they are about double my current budget (upto £ 500,).

Any more suggestions screen wise ? I quite like this one...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £499.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
How have I spend most my day on this site but not seen that one :D

So you're saying that G32QC is actually better then that Asus ROG one, and it's cheaper as well ? Result!

Soldato
No I didn't see your sneaky edit when I posted, about that Asus ROG monitor... :p I've no idea if it's better or worse than the Gigabyte, both are new models and only came out in the last few months I think. A quick Google seems to suggest the Asus appears to be G-Sync compatible on user tests.

But that Asus monitor can be had for £30 less at another popular retailer, if you really need to tigthen the purse strings. Can't name or post links for obvious reasons :)

Personally that Asus monitor doesn't seem to have anything over the Gigabyte display imo, just the usual Asus premium product tax on top ££... Gigabyte has a higher refresh rate and seems better for all round reviews, especially with gaming.

Up to you though as always, your rig!

Associate
OP
Changed my mind another dozen times about monitors, but just focusing on my case now, just waiting on the last few bits to arrive, but I decided to have a little look into this whole RGB malarkey, having to admit I'd never even heard of RGB before I started asking questions here.

So my mainboard (X570 Arous Elite) has RGB Fusion 2.0, whatever that means.

So if i wanted like a little blue strip (no rainbow or other colours) somewhere in my case, I can buy one of those RGB stips and that click onto that mainboard ? And are they software controlled then or how does it work ?

Soldato
Yes :)

Depends what strip you got, could be permanently on and fixed. Could also get one that has software to control the pattern or colour etc.

But a plain blue strip likely be something cheap and nasty. Most things are RGB now which you can control the colours etc.

Associate
OP
Yes :)

Depends what strip you got, could be permanently on and fixed. Could also get one that has software to control the pattern or colour etc.

But a plain blue strip likely be something cheap and nasty. Most things are RGB now which you can control the colours etc.

Cheers dude!

So I could get something like this and then just attach it to the motherboard and control the colours etc from some app ?

Total: £16.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)

Also, my ancient case comes with a few blue light fans already, apart from the fan at the rear (Rear - exhaust: 120 x 120 x 25 mm TurboFan, 1000rpm, 16dBA) that is just a non-coloured fan.

Can I add this RGB frame to it from the inside to turn it into a 'blue fan' ?

Total: £14.61 (includes shipping: £4.66)

Or can I only add 1 RGB item (that light strip) to the mainboard ? Preferably I'd have both, but not really sure if/how that would work.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Do I just get some more memory and/or a new graphics card, or do I need to upgrade the whole shabang ?

Personally I would upgrade the whole thing...

5 pages and a load of questions later, and here we are...

Very happy with it all, thanks again everyone, and especially Sparx for all in the input!

Back to GTA V on the widescreen with all settings maxed out now... :D

Soldato
Looks great mate (case is up for debate still :p) - can't believe that was 6-7 weeks ago haha, but glad your all sorted now then!

I see you went for the AOC ultrawide in the end, how are you finding it? Does G-Sync work properly with it (assuming you've enabled it)? If I recall there was some Reddit users explaining they had flickering issues with it.

Maybe get a nice mechanical keyboard next? :D I'm liking that nostalgic MX518, loved mine before it eventually bust.

Associate
OP
I don't like change, so the case is staying :D

Loving the AOC ultrawide, such a difference from my little 24' 60hz one, and it doesn't feel too big either.

Only game i've tried so far is GTA V, not had much chance to install or play anything else. It says in the OSD menu V sync is on and I've had no problems with flikkering in GTA so hopefully it wil be the same in other games.

When you said mechanical keyboard I thought you were joking and talking about those old white ones (from my 486dx days) but had a look on google and read they are actually a new thing, so am kinda tempted now as this Logitech Y-UV90 wave is just as old as my mouth.

So these mechanical keyboard are better for gaming then are they ?

Soldato
Have you enabled G-Sync for starters in the Nvidia control panel? ;) And ensure you’ve set your refresh rate as it should if not already, sometimes Windows defaults it to 60Hz or whatever.

Geez easily influenced :D Yeah they can help in gaming in terms of you can register multiple keys simultaneously with mechanical. Which you can’t do with other / older keyboards. Also feel better and much more tactile response on the keys. They’ve been around a good few years now, I’ve had one for maybe 6+ years and loved it.

My first mechanical was a Qpad MK-85 then later swapped to a Corsair Strafe 4+ years ago. Just love the feel and response when gaming and typing.

You might like the Corsair Strafe v2, K68 or K95. They have the multimedia keys and volume control which is useful. Wish I had it on mine :p Worth reading up on and what switch keys you like as there’s blue, red etc

Associate
OP
5 pages and a load of questions later, and here we are...

Very happy with it all, thanks again everyone, and especially Sparx for all in the input!

Back to GTA V on the widescreen with all settings maxed out now... :D

So 3 years ago I came on here asking for advice on what to upgrade, and (with a lot of help of Sparx) ended up upgrading pretty much my entire system.

I now have the following :

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
- AMD RYZEN 7 3700X EIGHT CORE 4.4GHZ
- Gigabyte GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER WINDFORCE OC
- Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x 8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 C17
- Corsair RM750x 750W
- WD BLUE SN550 250 GB NVME M.2 and WD BLUE SN550 1 TB NVME M.2

However that is now 3 years old, and I want to be ready for new games, mainly GTA 6 (whenever that gets released) and my wife mentioned "the harry potter game can be a little bit stuttery going into the castle at times" and I don't think that game runs on the highest resolution either.

Would I be best adding some more memory, or adding/replacing the graphic card or maybe the CPU ? What do you guys reckon ?

Soldato
What do you guys reckon ?
GPU first, CPU second, leave RAM as is. Depends on budget but both of these would be a decent performance boost.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £882.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Soldato
Harry potter i think is demanding on vram i heard so 12gb min.

cpu would benefit it a lot too if it was amd x3d ones i think i saw benchies love it for that game.

Oh and nice speakers - i got the same logitech x-530 ones, plus is that a little stig model i see hiding behind the left side one. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom