• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£80 Budget BF3

Associate
Hi there,

been trying to get my mate on BF3 for ages. i convinced him to get the game and then he bought a 5770 but it was a dodgy card.

he has now said he is prepared to spend around 80 to 100 quid but preferably lower the better.

The PC i have made for him now is a quad q6600 running 8 GB of 8400 ram.

Suggestions welcome.

Associate
yeah a 5870 u might snapp up for around 80-100 quid now adays, still a powerful card just not so brill on higher rez

Associate
OP
hello all,

Thank you for your recommendations - we hit on another snag that being a corporate desktop the PCI express slot is only v1.0 which is something i have had problems with before.

For now he is going to see how he gets on just running it on low with a 4550 cause we know that works but it may be a tall order to find a single slot card that works in v1.0 slot... .or not?

Soldato
that's a shame, the Q6600 is still a decent CPU when overclocked, but PCIe 1.0 might be a limiting factor

I'm pretty sure pcie is backwards compatible so any pcie2.0 card will work - it might just be bottlenecked depending how high up the GPU tree you try to go

Associate
OP
what's tricky is finding good documentation regarding each card as to whether it is backward compatible - he would be looking at a mid range card anyway so i figure we stand a good chance but its just risky when ordering online etc.

Associate
what's tricky is finding good documentation regarding each card as to whether it is backward compatible - he would be looking at a mid range card anyway so i figure we stand a good chance but its just risky when ordering online etc.

Perhaps but remember you always have DSR regulations to cover you if it turns out to be incompatible. Not ideal but it does mean you won't be left with something that is useless to you.

Associate
OP
being an old commercial desktop the bios looked fairly limited. The pc has now been sent to my mate to slot in his existing 4550 but i think 800x600 may grate on him after a while.

i think the best shout is for an older dx10 or 11 card but then of course if it isnt compatible he wont be able to rma if its second hand.

Associate
The only problems with pci-e v1.0, have been regarding VIA chipsets.

And mainly with Nvidia cards (8800gt if I recall).

As for single slot graphics, you could get a HD5770 second hand if you are lucky.

Otherwise a Hd4850 or Gt450 also second hand would be okayish for Low- Med.

(Apparently they do make a single slot 6850 but availability?????)

Associate
OP
haha after a few threads on here a few months back my mate got a 5770 on my recommendation but got it from ebay cause it was £50 rather than the £70+ at the time from retail sites - however - DOA and ebayer nowhere to be found.

Back
Top Bottom