~£800 Upgrade Components

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old computer. I use it mostly for web browsing/software dev/occasional gaming.

Is anyone able to recommend me a balanced combination of the following:

- Graphics Card
- Motherboard
- Processor
- RAM
- PSU? (Current one is a 500W Coolermaster that is 10 years old - Currently working fine but not sure if it's likely to blow up and take out the new components due to its age)

It's unlikely I'll be overclocking anything unless I can get a significant boost in performance from very low risk.

I already have a 1TB SSD for storage that I'll keep as I only bought it a couple of years ago.

I have a budget of approx. £800, but happy to go a bit over if it's worth it.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Soldato
PSU has done well for you. But yeah, I'd keep hold of it as a spare now.

Which case is everything going into? And which monitor (resolution/refresh rate, any Gsync or Freesync on it) are you using?

Associate
OP
I'm using two LG IPS224 monitors 1080p at 60Hz over HDMI.

I hadn't given the case much thought but I think it would be a good idea to go for a new one so please spec for that to (outside of the £800). Not bothered on the size but something quiet would be good if possible.

Thanks

Soldato
Might be over-specced for occasional gaming, GPU-wise, but you'll get nice performance at 1080p when you do game:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £802.50
(includes shipping: £12.60)

Discount code for GPU:
Zot1060

Case comes with three 120mm fans already.

A few case alternatives (there are more colours/glass/non-glass if you have a look at the whole selection):

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £243.71
(includes shipping: £20.82)

I don't expect the Antec P8 to be noisy as such, and they know how to make silent cases. But haven't seen reviews yet as it's new. Think it looks very elegant:

Last edited:
Soldato
As far as display type compatibility with your monitors, the GPU has 3 x DP, 1 x HDMI and 1 x DL-DVI. So you'd have to use one HDMI and one DVI-D (or Dual Link-DVI) cable. Or adapters. Your monitors have VGA (aka D-Sub), HDMI and DVI-D.

And do note that some AM4 motherboards with non-compatible BIOS for Ryzen 5 processors are still being sold (old stock basically), and if unlucky it can require returning to OcUK for them to update the BIOS for you, meaning a few days down-time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom