• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8400 Wolfies are in stock :-)

Soldato
Who told you that? CPU limiting can go on endlessly. Just depends on your setup, if yoiu have an 8800GTX or dual setup then any extra speed you can get will help.

The highest clocked retail CPU's hit 3Ghz/3.2GHz.

Developers don't make games that take advantage of any theoretical extra Mhz that can't be bought off the shelf.

This whole "4GHz makes a massive difference to games" is total trash. CustomPC benched Supreme Commander and recorded a massive 1fps difference between a 2.66GHz Intel E6600 and the same model clocked at 3.66Ghz. Everyone knows graphically intensive games like Crysis are GPU limited.

Sup Com + Expansion, FS-X...

So there are 3 things that 400mhz would help.

I don't know about the new expansion (for Supreme Commander) but Mhz doesn't radically speed up the majority of games.

Last edited:
Associate
Welcome to the world of business. If you don't want to pay a bit extra, just wait a while.

Smells a bit like profiteering to me. "We've secured a large stock so we'll charge what we like".

I've bought stuff from OcUK when the price is right but I don't buy your arguement at all.

I bought my E8400 for £140 delivered.

Associate
Without wanting to rancour the mods, I too was surprised at the price of the E8400. It is unusual for OCUK but, alas, the same is true of the Yorkfields too. :(

Soldato
if people demand them and the stock is not so large why not increase the price it's always been like that. like some wise man said.

Welcome to the world of business. If you don't want to pay a bit extra, just wait a while.

edit : but in my opinion if you have e6600 over 3.2 ghz or q6600 over 3.2ghz there no point of upgrading im waiting my self for nahelms then it will be big upgrades for everyone as you will need ddr3 memory

Associate
Honestly I can't understand what the fuss is all about with these E8xxx series, Conroe I can understand but this :confused: After reading all sort of reviews, the difference is minimal at best and all OCers in the land are dying to get their hands on one of these :o Must love those early adopters!

Associate
I wonder if other countries are having stock issues with these as well? It does make you wonder if all the currently shipped ones are borked (with the CPU temperature readings).

Soldato
This whole "4GHz makes a massive difference to games" is total trash. CustomPC benched Supreme Commander and recorded a massive 1fps difference between a 2.66GHz Intel E6600 and the same model clocked at 3.66Ghz. Everyone knows graphically intensive games like Crysis are GPU limited.

There is a lot more to a games performance than fps. Who cares about how fast the fps is once it's already smooth?
Sup Com takes advantage of at least 3 cores because it also splits out the AI. If you play any game with the AI you will find CPU is KING across every PC because it's really demanding (and has lots of bugs!).

Permabanned
The highest clocked retail CPU's hit 3Ghz/3.2GHz.

Developers don't make games that take advantage of any theoretical extra Mhz that can't be bought off the shelf.

I don't know about the new expansion (for Supreme Commander) but Mhz doesn't radically speed up the majority of games.

But people overclock graphics too, so it works both ways. So you can keep scaling up and up. I do admit you do get diminishing returns though, but it does help.

Soldato
There is a lot more to a games performance than fps. Who cares about how fast the fps is once it's already smooth?
Sup Com takes advantage of at least 3 cores because it also splits out the AI. If you play any game with the AI you will find CPU is KING across every PC because it's really demanding (and has lots of bugs!).

Makes no sense. Game performance *is* determined by FPS, as the FPS is the result of all the calculations of the game in it's entirety - and that includes the AI.

Associate
Boring

The whole quad/dual this game/that game is really long in the tooth. My setup plays most games perfectly ok, but there are some 'games' that will suck up as much cpu horsepower that you can throw at it. One of those is Microsoft Flight Simulator X. If you put 3ghz at it is will use 100%, if you put 4ghz at it you can up the sliders and it will still use 100%. Quad core does not provide that much improvement over dual core on this engine and so for any FSX fans the highest clocking dual core is still the best thing.

So any Flight simmers out there get an 8400 push it to 4ghz and notch those sliders up a bit more.

:)

Denno

Associate
Makes no sense. Game performance *is* determined by FPS, as the FPS is the result of all the calculations of the game in it's entirety - and that includes the AI.
Things like motion bluring affect game play a lot too mind you. Newer games are far more playable at low FPS than older ones.

Soldato
Whats the struggle in understanding the concept of supply and demand?

FWIW, I've just looked at an Intel trade distributor and they reckon they'll have 635 E8400s arriving on the 18th Feb and I can order them at £106+VAT each. Once supply eases price will drop.

Back
Top Bottom