£850 to spend - how is this configuration..

Associate
How does sound for a spec? My older family member has about £850 to spend and this is about the best I was coming up with.

Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Computer Case
Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR5 mATX Motherboard
Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 EAGLE 8GB Graphics Card
Corsair RM750x Shift Series, 750W, 80+ GOLD Certified, PCIe 5.0 ATX 3.0 Fully Modular PSU
Intel Core i5 12400 12th Gen Alder Lake 6 Core Processor
Kingston FURY Beast RGB 8GB (2 x 8GB) 5600MHz DDR5
Corsair MP600 PRO NH 1TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD

This stuff comes to about £850 give or take

Form factor not an issue and I'm not adverse to AMD either.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The shift series PSU have connecters on the side not on the back so I would change that.

What's the pc main use or most demanding task ?
The main PC use will be to run...Train Simulator 2022 and Train Sim World (i'm guessing he'd like 4 to run). His current machine is really old but i've got as much out of it as i can.

Man of Honour
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £857.92 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

cooler: thermalright assassin king 120 se (ak 120)

will run rings around the proposed 6600 build
5600x is approx 12400 level performance give or take a few percent eitherway
mobo has wifi
32gb ram rather than 16gb
6700xt vs 6600 (need i say more)
p5p, cheaper, and just as good
better ventilated case
psu is good enough to run all the above (saved some money here to cram the rest of the build in)

Last edited:
Associate
Also the MAG FORGE M100R Case, tamzzy, suggested comes with 4 ARGB fans, whereas the Coolermaster case only has one fan, so no need to purchase any additional fans.

For the Power Supply I would suggest the, Seasonic G12 GM-650 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply, it is £70, but semi modular, less cable clutter, and more power efficent and has a 5 year warranty. I feel that the PSU is often the most underrated part of any PC and that spending a bit more on a high or higher quality PSU is never a bad idea

Associate
OP
My basket at OcUK:

mobo has wifi
better ventilated case
psu is good enough to run all the above (saved some money here to cram the rest of the build in)
thank you very much!

Man of Honour
For the Power Supply I would suggest the, Seasonic G12 GM-650 80 Plus Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply, it is £70, but semi modular, less cable clutter, and more power efficent and has a 5 year warranty. I feel that the PSU is often the most underrated part of any PC and that spending a bit more on a high or higher quality PSU is never a bad idea
a decent, reliable psu is more than sufficient for most users
ofc will need to factor in any potential upgrades but in general 600w should power most,if not all mid-range builds

if OP has an extra £20 in the piggy bank then that seasonic isn't a bad shout. if not, then that bequiet does a good enough job
(i have used a couple of these exact psus in my friends' computers, so not just speccing it for the sake of getting the spec into budget)

Associate
a decent, reliable psu is more than sufficient for most users
ofc will need to factor in any potential upgrades but in general 600w should power most,if not all mid-range builds

if OP has an extra £20 in the piggy bank then that seasonic isn't a bad shout. if not, then that bequiet does a good enough job
(i have used a couple of these exact psus in my friends' computers, so not just speccing it for the sake of getting the spec into budget)
The Be Quiet PSU is good but only has a 3 Year Warranty and for £20 more the Seasonic has a 5 Year warranty and you can never have to much warranty.

Man of Honour
The Be Quiet PSU is good but only has a 3 Year Warranty and for £20 more the Seasonic has a 5 Year warranty and you can never have to much warranty.
Personally, I don't like PSUs with 5 year warranties either :cry:

The G12 also isn't built by Seasonic, which is not very nice of them.

I'll make an alternative build so I'm not just complaining about PSUs:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £856.88 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

10 year warranty!!1!Eleven! :D

Associate
Didn't realise the G12 was not built by Seasonic, so I would go the your choice, the Phanteks,, or Tamzzy's, choice of the Be Quiet.

For the motherboard I would upgrade the model to the B760 chipset, as its only £5 more then the B660 version, no different otherwise between the 2 versions, but if the latest version is avaliable for roughly the same price might as well get the most up to date.

@frustin Did you want PCIe Gen 5 for future proofing, as the B660/B760 boards are Gen 4 only.

Associate
OP
Thank you guys.

@Author_25 @tamzzy @Tetras Man, you guys know how to eke out a bang for buck.

Is the AMD or Intel option better?

Also, Uncle wont be overclocking, despite me building it I live miles from him so i dont want to be travelling to his to fix any cooling issues. Can I run on stock cooler? Or shall I get @tamzzy suggested, "thermalright assassin king 120 se"

Associate
OP
i wouldn't bother with pcie gen 5...by the time that becomes relevant this pc would be outdated
I'm sorry, probably being dense, but I'm not following. The DDR5 RAM and mobo is comparatively the same price (bit more expensive) - isnt it worth the extra then? what do you mean "by the time it becomes relevant"?

Associate
My basket at OcUK:

mobo has wifi
better ventilated case
@tamzzy do you have any concerns about recommending AM4 components now that AM5 is the future? Do the savings make it worthwhile in your opinion? I am tempted because when I built my last system 15 years ago I was very concerned about upgradeability but then I never actually upgraded anything and it all became obsolete. Reason for my question is that I just bought a used RX 5700 XT GPU and now I need to build a system to go around it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm sorry, probably being dense, but I'm not following. The DDR5 RAM and mobo is comparatively the same price (bit more expensive) - isnt it worth the extra then? what do you mean "by the time it becomes relevant"?
means that for the vast majority of users, it will not make one jot of difference.
for example, pcie gen 5 ssds have very high headline transfer rates, but when you get down to the details, their real-life performance for the vast majority of cases is indistinguishable from a sata 3 ssd. why? because its the random transfers that matter more, not the headline transfer rates (these matter more for large file transfers...but does the average user do 200gb single file transfers often?)

or another example...the 4090. there's only a 5% or so difference between using this in pcie 3 mode and pcie 4 mode. pcie gen 5 is 4x the speed of pcie 3, you'd need a gpu that would be triple(+) the performance for pcie 5 to matter. when will this level of gpu performance come to the mainstream (ie £1000-ish) computers? not anytime soon lol

@tamzzy do you have any concerns about recommending AM4 components now that AM5 is the future? Do the savings make it worthwhile in your opinion? I am tempted because when I built my last system 15 years ago I was very concerned about upgradeability but then I never actually upgraded anything and it all became obsolete. Reason for my question is that I just bought a used RX 5700 XT GPU and now I need to build a system to go around it.
no concerns precisely because for the vast majority of users, "futureproofing" is literally wasting money - your case in point ;)
if this is a hobby and if you're upgrading every generation, then fine, by all means spend a bit extra. but if the computer is just exactly what it says on the tin, then value for money takes priority in my humble opinion

Soldato
I decided to go over budget by £100 and take some of everything from the above, current/future platform, much better GPU, 32GB DDR5, terrible case, and argumentative on the PSU quality. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-P Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card
Case: Silverstone FARA H1M MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Gigabyte P750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: £950.00

Back
Top Bottom