850w Platinum PSU. Superflower? Corsair? etc?

Associate
Hello folks

On the brink of building my new system, and I suddenly have a few questions about PSU.

My previous machine (built in 2015) was powered by a Superflower Leadex 850 Platinum.
It was absolutely rock solid.
I'm selling that machine to a friend.

Anyway, I need another 850w PSU. Ideally Platinum.
The first thing I notice is things are, unsurprisingly, a bit more pricey now - the Leadex 850 Platinum cost me £103 back then. I'm really not wanting to spend more than £150 now.
Superflower does not seem to have many 850w Platinums about now. But I'm wondering how things have progressed. Would a Gold nowadays be as efficient as a Platinum from 7 years ago - or do the metrics remain the same?
It would feel like a step down to go for a Gold now when I had a Platinum before.
I was also looking at the Corsair HX 850 Platinum. Is that good? Is Corsair as good/reliable as Superflower?
Anyway, I'm at a bit of a loss, so any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Associate
OP
I have always bought Corsair.
Never had an issue and they have always out lasted my PC.
They are rated for about 100,000 hours which is about 10 years.

Thanks sybaris!
Would you say the HX850 Platinum would be better than the RM850x Gold?
I think the RM850x Gold is a 2021 model, whereas the HX850 Platinum is very old now. If that's the case, would the HX have all the necessary connections and capabilities needed for a modern system? (i7 12700k, Asus Z690 TUF mobo, 128GB RAM, 980 Pro SSDs.... my old 1080ti)
Please let me know what you think!

Thanks

Man of Honour
Thanks sybaris!
Would you say the HX850 Platinum would be better than the RM850x Gold?
I think the RM850x Gold is a 2021 model, whereas the HX850 Platinum is very old now. If that's the case, would the HX have all the necessary connections and capabilities needed for a modern system? (i7 12700k, Asus Z690 TUF mobo, 128GB RAM, 980 Pro SSDs.... my old 1080ti)
Please let me know what you think!

Thanks
Hx is top draw and have all the correct connections but comes at a premium I would be certainly happy with the rmx 2021.

Man of Honour
No need to spend a fortune on a Platinum psu, you will never make the energy savings to make it worth buying over a Gold rated unit. Go with a quality Gold rated unit and save some cash. All of these have a 10 year warranty.

My basket at OcUK:

The 2021 Corsair RM850x has extremely stiff cables with caps in them making them very bulky and difficult to get a tight bend in them. I have one and otherwise it's a excellent psu. if going for the Corsair RM series I would wait for the newer version to come back into stock as it is better than the old version.

Associate
OP
No need to spend a fortune on a Platinum psu, you will never make the energy savings to make it worth buying over a Gold rated unit. Go with a quality Gold rated unit and save some cash. All of these have a 10 year warranty.

My basket at OcUK:

The 2021 Corsair RM850x has extremely stiff cables with caps in them making them very bulky and difficult to get a tight bend in them. I have one and otherwise it's a excellent psu. if going for the Corsair RM series I would wait for the newer version to come back into stock as it is better than the old version.

Thanks everyone. And thanks pastymuncher for the suggestions.
I know it's silly but it just feels like a step down going from my current Platinum to a Gold PSU. And right now I can get the HX for the same price as the RM850x.
Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom